Helpful ReplyLockedPraise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
aahladas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2018/01/08 06:10:46 (permalink)

Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton

I don't say this to exclude others at Cakewalk, but I want to give a shout out to Noel and Craig. Both have been involved with the community here for many years, and have provided valuable help to Sonar users. I've read Craig's books and online writings for so long I can't remember the first, but he has been a constant help to people starting out, and recording at home. Knowing that he was involved with Cakewalk for a short time seemed like a perfect fit, and I think he helped improve the product. I know he keeps up with everything, so he'll have plenty to do, but want to say that your work has been helpful to me and many others.

As for Noel, he is the biggest reason I stayed with and had confidence in Sonar. For the CTO of the company to be as involved with the user base as he has been is very unusual, and is the main reason I stayed with Sonar for so long. No other software company has ever been more responsive to its users. Some people will always complain, but most companies don't even try. I always felt like Cakewalk really cared about what their users thought, and that was unique. It is a real shame that the company would be dealt with this way, and I wish it could have just been sold again. But I wanted to say what great work Noel did for a long time, and ask everyone to give him a round of virtual applause.
LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 18:06:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/01/09 17:35:18
I agree - both Noel and Craig have provided much to my knowledge/skill base, and a level of comfort with my continued use of Sonar.  The entire team provided a very cost effective and wide tool set throughout the years, and for that, I am grateful.

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
CS18ai - Connect AVB
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 19:52:36 (permalink)
Agree absolutely.

Noel, Craig - thanks for all giving us such an incredible DAW.

And of course, my thanks also goes to all the Bakers, and wish you all the best in the future.

Mark.
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 19:58:56 (permalink)
Thanks to Noel, Craig, and ALL the Cakewalk team past and present!!!  All your help throughout the years is priceless!  

Sonar quality and features are at an all time high in my book!!!

Long Live Cakewalk Sonar!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 20:35:15 (permalink)
Noel's the one, not me, who deserves the props for what made SONAR the program it is/was. I was just a long-time SONAR user with a penchant for sharing what I learned in a variety of ways - books, this forum, workshops, and the Sound on Sound column (which I'm still writing).

I get a kick out of helping people, but also from a practical standpoint, it comes back a hundredfold: for example I think most of the reviews for my latest album have been written by people who found out about me from the SONAR forums 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
panup
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2538
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 20:49:59 (permalink)
Yesterday I was amazed to to read that there were only SONAR 4-6 developers at Cakewalk. They all must have been very experienced, talented and enthusiastic programmers capable of maintaining and developing a program that has grown to millions of lines of code.

Listen the Momentum demo, Noel playing Coltrane. Superb stuff.  I wonder if he can improvize over Giant Steps chord progression...
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/08 21:21:03 (permalink)
panup
Yesterday I was amazed to to read that there were only SONAR 4-6 developers at Cakewalk.

Same here. not only was I surprised, I was impressed.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Tim Flannagin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 00:37:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/01/09 17:36:19
+100 These guys are a lot of what kept me around so long. It's also what me to keep buying the next Cakewalk product over the years . I figured with support from guys this dedicated, I couldn't go wrong. Turns out  I was correct. In the end, lack of quality or enthusiastic support had nothing to do with Cakewalk's demise.

Dell Precision T5400, 2 Xeon E5420 CPUs, 32 GB ram, 1 X 750 GB HDD, 2 X 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX750 , M-Audio 1010LT, Roland GR-55, Novation SL MKII 49 , Arturia MiniLab, Arturia Spark Creative Drum Controller, '77 Gibson Les Paul Artistan, Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ GK-3, Fender Stratocaster, Dean Exotica Acoustic, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Lifetime, Arturia  Synths galore!, Cakewalk Synths galore!, M-Audio BX-5a monitors, a couple of cheap mikes, a dubious quality desk, several shady characters hanging in the studio, etc....
tonydude
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 09:38:28 (permalink)
The knowledge and experience I've picked up from Noel and Craig has helped me be more productive and even helped during transition to another DAW.
aahladas
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 13:57:51 (permalink)
Anderton
Noel's the one, not me, who deserves the props for what made SONAR the program it is/was. I was just a long-time SONAR user with a penchant for sharing what I learned in a variety of ways - books, this forum, workshops, and the Sound on Sound column (which I'm still writing).

I get a kick out of helping people, but also from a practical standpoint, it comes back a hundredfold: for example I think most of the reviews for have been written by people who found out about me from the SONAR forums 

Thanks again, man. Your book Home Recording for Musicians was my starting point. 

I'm buying a Mac and moving to Logic and Pro Tools, not because I want to, but because I don't want this to happen again, and I figure they'll be the last to evaporate. I feel like Gibson owes me the money, and I even feel slightly less favorable about my Les Paul right now. I don't know exactly what went down, but it had to be business and money, because the product and support, including yours, were second to none.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 14:45:21 (permalink)
panup
Listen the Momentum demo, Noel playing Coltrane. Superb stuff.  I wonder if he can improvize over Giant Steps chord progression...

I would imagine so, he seems to be a fairly accomplished player. It's not for beginners, for sure, but also not *that* hard really if you're comfortable with more traditional jazz progressions - it's just ii-V-I progressions in 3 tone centres, OK they're a major third apart which is unorthodox (and kind of the whole point) so it takes some stick time but after a while it starts to make sense to your fingerbrains... A good starting point is the bridge of Have You Met Miss Jones, which is kind of based around the same concept but isn't so daunting as it's typically not so fast, and you can relax with standard changes on the A sections in between ;)

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 17:02:38 (permalink)
aahladas
I don't know exactly what went down, but it had to be business and money...

There are a lot of factors, but the bottom line is pretty simple: Gibson could no longer afford to keep losing substantial amounts of money year after year on Cakewalk, and Cakewalk didn't develop additional income streams that could have offset the losses. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 17:44:45 (permalink)
aahladas
I'm buying a Mac and moving to Logic and Pro Tools, not because I want to, but because I don't want this to happen again, and I figure they'll be the last to evaporate.

I’d suggest getting Logic first, learning it to the point you know it well enough to work in it and only then consider if you need to spend money on Pro Tools.

Pro Tools has been trading on the reputation it acquired in the early days of computer-based digital audio as the “choice of professionals” for quite some time. All the “big” DAWs, Mac and Windows, are capable of turning out equally good results as far as audio is concerned. The differences between them come down to whether you find their interface and way of working suits you and how well they handle MIDI.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
aahladas
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 18:49:15 (permalink)
I already have Pro Tools, it's just a matter of installing it on the Mac. Logic Pro X is only $199, and I expect to use that for production. I've looked at it enough on YouTube and so forth, and tried GarageBand enough, to know that it should work for me. It also seems to be the closest to Sonar in terms of MIDI. The biggest thing I'm going to miss is ARA with Melodyne, but I tried Studio One and found enough things about it that made me nervous that I decided to go this route. Logic is a more complete platform, and I don't think Apple is going to abandon it any time soon. Plus, Sonar was the only one not available on Mac, so I'll have plenty of options, including Studio One.
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 19:45:03 (permalink)
aahladas
I already have Pro Tools, it's just a matter of installing it on the Mac. Logic Pro X is only $199, and I expect to use that for production. I've looked at it enough on YouTube and so forth, and tried GarageBand enough, to know that it should work for me. It also seems to be the closest to Sonar in terms of MIDI. The biggest thing I'm going to miss is ARA with Melodyne, but I tried Studio One and found enough things about it that made me nervous that I decided to go this route. Logic is a more complete platform, and I don't think Apple is going to abandon it any time soon. Plus, Sonar was the only one not available on Mac, so I'll have plenty of options, including Studio One.

Logic has the same thing as Melodyne built in. Well maybe not exactly the same as I've never used melodyne but they have pitch correction built in. I only tried it one time and it seemed pretty easy. The interface seemed similar in terms of representing audio pitches as notes on a piano roll like view and dragging them to the desired pitch.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 19:58:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/09 21:14:11
Anderton
aahladas
I don't know exactly what went down, but it had to be business and money...

There are a lot of factors, but the bottom line is pretty simple: Gibson could no longer afford to keep losing substantial amounts of money year after year on Cakewalk, and Cakewalk didn't develop additional income streams that could have offset the losses. 

P&L. Who would've guessed?
aahladas
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 21:21:45 (permalink)
WDI
aahladas

Logic has the same thing as Melodyne built in. Well maybe not exactly the same as I've never used melodyne but they have pitch correction built in. I only tried it one time and it seemed pretty easy. The interface seemed similar in terms of representing audio pitches as notes on a piano roll like view and dragging them to the desired pitch.

Yeah, I'm aware it has tuning. From what I've seen it's nowhere near Melodyne in terms of tools or quality, but I'll have to try it to come to a full conclusion.

It does have the ability to set up a step sequencer for drums with instrument names like Sonar, and that's something I've used a lot.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 21:57:31 (permalink)
whoever made the dubious decision to give away the kick ass lp plugs, drum replacer, and limiter really has some explaing to do 

so many people think it is dumb that it HAD to be a decision made by one person who I wildly speculate had some serious personal; issues or maybe just wasn't that great at business! While this was going on Sonar was being polished and augmented at an astonishing rate. Wonder what the developers thought of the business side of operations?

aahladas
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/09 23:42:28 (permalink)
I will admit, I didn't totally understand the permanent license for existing users. Even though it benefited me, that had to be a huge hit to cashflow when going to a subscription model. Maybe the user base was already down, and they were hoping to add more, but it was an unusual move for sure. I don't think Adobe did that. A discount for one year or something would have made more sense.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/10 00:10:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2018/01/29 12:19:27
If the Mayans had possessed a longer calendar do you suppose they would/could have predicted this outcome?
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/10 05:55:43 (permalink)
Maybe after sacrificing beacon.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/10 23:43:21 (permalink)
Two incredibly great guys.  No question.  Quick responses.  Intelligent responses.  Best service of any type of forum.
melmyers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 05:35:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/01/11 17:44:56
My sadness at the discontinuation of Sonar is only partially due to the loss of futher development of the program. Mainly, I'll miss the thoughtful suggestions, solutions and input from Craig and Noel. They helped give Sonar a soul.

Mel Myers
Producer/Songwriter/Voiceover Talent
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 07:51:57 (permalink)
Agreed. Both great guys.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

gothic.angel
  • Total Posts : 572
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 12:04:59 (permalink)
aahladas

... Plus, Sonar was the only one not available on Mac, so I'll have plenty of options, including Studio One.

...actually not... SAMPLITUDE and FL Studio, for example, both long time standing, are Windows based DAWs...
...and lately Apple is not focusing on their computers as expected...
personal tastes of course, but I would consider leaving Apple toys to i-Phone's addicted girls..

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 13:41:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gothic.angel 2018/01/11 13:52:24
And Mixcraft is only Windows based too

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

gothic.angel
  • Total Posts : 572
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 13:51:46 (permalink)
InstrEd

And Mixcraft is only Windows based too

...yep... you right, thanks... and it's very much "SONAR oriented" too....
Indeed, it's Apple's platform the one missing some very good DAWs...

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

CakeAlexSHere
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 17:37:38 (permalink)
IMHO the future are DAWs that run on multiple operating systems, that also includes Windows, Apple and Linux, diversification is the key to success. Not only that making sure they have excellent support for mobile platforms that may hook into these DAWs. It's all about ecosystems, that includes hardware too.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 17:45:27 (permalink)
melmyers
My sadness at the discontinuation of Sonar is only partially due to the loss of futher development of the program. Mainly, I'll miss the thoughtful suggestions, solutions and input from Craig and Noel. They helped give Sonar a soul.

then you should check studio one, craig is already churning out tips over there

just a sec

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Praise for Noel Borthwick and Craig Anderton 2018/01/11 19:13:39 (permalink)
Any DAW that compels me to give up my 32-bit "TickyClav" ain't gonna make it into my studio.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1