"Prayer for the Unsaved"

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2011/06/12 01:18:23 (permalink)

"Prayer for the Unsaved"

I just got Wavelore's Virtual Pedal Steel Guitar and decided to try writing a country-rock song.  Partly tongue-in-cheek, partly serious...depending on my mood.  Enjoy!

Prayer for the Unsaved

EDIT:  After I posted this I noticed that Jimmy Gentry has passed away.  I've read some of his posts in the past but I didn't know him anywhere near as well as some of you.  But I am still deeply saddened nonetheless. 
This song is a prayer to God from me.  It's about getting through tough times and my own pain (bad spine and nerve pain).  I would have liked to have dedicated it to Jimmy, but this song isn't really appropriate for him.  But it may help some of you in dealing with your sadness.
And as Jimmy mentioned in some of his posts that he was a "wanna-be piano player", well I am a "wanna-be singer"  so please excuse my lousy singing.
post edited by Leee - 2011/06/12 02:05:12

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.

14 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 14:11:42 (permalink)
    A sweet psychedelia-country hybrid (Biab?).  This song is awesome on many levels ... groove, message, vibe, chorus, and singing.

But I'd have mixed this differently as follows: Sweet vox begs both melodyne and compression ... especially during the solo's ... as I perceive he is the dominant.

Thank you for this sweet and comforting song!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 14:46:24 (permalink)
    Interesting, I'd never heard of a pedal steel plug? I guess they did OK with it, but there's really no substitute for hearing that instrument in a song.  It would be like a fiddle plug :-( Violin plugs for orchestral type compositions are very common, but not so much for like a country/bluegrass "fiddle." It's just a unique sound that must be very difficult to capture with samples and translate to a library.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Leee
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 18:41:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback guys.  Philip, the vocals were sent through Melodyne (shows you what a bad singer I am), maybe some more tweaking is in order. LOL! 
    And rockinrobby, I just started using the pedal steel plugin, it's almost as hard to learn as the real thing.  I've heard some demos of this plugin and believe me, it sounds awesome.  I've got a while to go before I can master all the control functions.  Trying to fit 10 strings (and all their positions) on to a standard keyboard made for some interesting and challenging uses of layout and design.

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 18:48:24 (permalink)
    yeah if I ever try to learn another instrument (I play lots) I think it will have to be pedal steel... 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Leee
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 19:00:32 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

yeah if I ever try to learn another instrument (I play lots) I think it will have to be pedal steel... 

I'm not a big fan of country, but one of my favorite groups is Poco (country-rock ala The Eagles) and my favorite pedal steel guitarist is Rusty Young from that band.  He can make that thing cry.  It's a beautiful instrument in the right hands. (And sounds like cats in heat in the wrong hands)

Lee Shapiro

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 19:15:07 (permalink)
    Very nice.  The pedal steel sounds great...sounds like a lot of fun learning to 'play' it.    lol
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 21:49:09 (permalink)
    Nice work. I always loved Poco and especially Rusty Young! I can't imagine how to try to replicate the playing of a pedal steel on a keyboard controller.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Leee
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/12 22:59:41 (permalink)
    Tap

Nice work. I always loved Poco and especially Rusty Young! I can't imagine how to try to replicate the playing of a pedal steel on a keyboard controller.

Thanks again for your comments.  
    Yeah, the manual for this plugin is filled with a few dozen color charts showing all the variations and configurations you can have on your keyboard.  The keys are grouped in various sections (depending on which control key is activated)  Some keys can be played as chords, some only one at a time.  I've only mastered the first (open) configuration so far.  Like I said, I think it'd be easier to learn how to play the real thing.  But Wavelore certainly did an excellent job in trying to transfer the configurations of a real pedal steel to a piano keyboard.
    BTW, they do have a trial version for those that are interested in checking it out.  It's pretty limited by you'll get the idea.

Lee Shapiro

Greybeard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/13 16:25:53 (permalink)
    Hey Leee, nice one.  Brave of you to jump solo into a whole new genre--seems to fit you fine, though.  Channeling Poco will always serve you well.  Glad to see that you're still tapping that deep well of creativity you own.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/13 17:52:18 (permalink)
    'Had to give this a second listen, as I seriously love the psychedelia chorus-hooks.   This song is my fav of the forums of late.  (I hummed it a bit yesterday)

Lee, my thoughts remain: a few of the verse phrases (not the chorus) need Melodyne or retakes, to compliment your excellent on-pitch instrumentation.  If your head and chest registers are fighting for the pitch, a retake may be necessary. 

The way I overcome 'register-slips' are re-takes: 1 to 100 retakes -- ha ha!  (My adolescent 12 y/o has gone from angel to frog-vox -- and requires 50-60 takes sometimes, to get it right.)  OTOH, this song is so magical to my ears, I'd be elated to cover this prayer-song with my vox samples and/or kid-choir: That Heavenly Choir; though your sweet vox and mix is already God-send-awesome for this.  (PM me if interested.)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Leee
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/14 01:24:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate the compliments. I don't know about a "deep well" but I can still at least get my feet wet.

And Philip, I'll be sending you a PM.

Lee Shapiro

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/15 15:32:20 (permalink)
    A nice, gentle song. Definitely a mood setter.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/15 22:27:27 (permalink)
    As a former steel guitar player, that's an interesting steel effect.

I am a HUGE Poco fan.  A long long time fan of Jimmy Messina.  One of my big early influences.

Nice tune and lyrics.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Prayer for the Unsaved" 2011/06/17 17:08:53 (permalink)
    Hi Lee,

I like this song. The midi-steel is kinda cool...doesn't always sound like a steel guitar but it always sounds nice

Good job.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1