Pre Purchase question

Author
beano52
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/08/08 23:05:56 (permalink)

Pre Purchase question

First, my appologies if this has been answered but, I havn't been able to find it.

Are you able to create music right at the computer keyboard? In other words, not have any instruments plugged in?

For instance, can I lay down a bass line and a few drum beats by typing and clicking with my mouse?

Am I able to add some guitar, horns, strings etc?

Thanks in advance for any and all help !

Also, would anyone have any tracks simple or advanced they have made doing just what i have described?

post edited by beano52 - 2007/08/08 23:16:02

7 Replies Related Threads

shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/09 00:14:24 (permalink)
    Beano52:

Yes! You can use soft synths to place notes in the piano roll editor of MC3. I think you may need a MIDI Controller though to actually be able to utilize what your asking, however, you can add instruments with soft synths, you'll just have to place the notes in manually, unless you have a MIDI Controller to do it for you. As far as tracks go, just google "MIDI Files," and you'll be able to hear songs that have been created using MIDI only, instead of Audio. You can download them, and insert them into your software. Each instrument you hear from the song, will show up as an individual instrument track in your program, so you can listen and tweak the very roots of the song. Pretty cool.
    post edited by shredheadinstead - 2007/08/09 00:23:44
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/09 12:44:44 (permalink)
    Piano roll or the staff view are two methods to "lay down" tracks as you put it, using midi instruments. Another is to use acidized loops and cut and paste your way to joy! Both work well and there are hundreds of options for each that allow you to make music. Cakewalk will use all these methods and more.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    beano52
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/09 13:46:14 (permalink)
    I searched the midi files, which is cool, what about more realistic guitar and bass lines? Am I able to write these with just a tap of my computer keyboard and click of the mouse?

I realize I'm not looking for a perfect sounding guitar, but something to play with and sounds decent.

Thanks
    geeve420
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/09 14:36:51 (permalink)
    You might want to try looking for midi plugins and patches. Other than that your soundcard is going to dictate the sounds produced. unless you use synths wich you can find free downloads through google.

Geeve

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

Dell Dimesion e521, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, 2 GB Ram, Dual Core, E-MU0404, Sonar LE 8

http://www.myspace.com/isaacswoodcockproject

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/09 17:27:45 (permalink)
    Midi guitar can always be a challenge, but it can be decent. If you look at my site the link is under my post, (motagator) and once there go to our songs, and find page 3 listen to Johnny B Goode, that is all midi guitar, and i think pretty good, I did not program the midi file someone else did and i thing it is very good midi guitar, i did however choose the sample that played it and it came out pretty good i think.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Lenshanger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/10 15:46:10 (permalink)
    Hi,
    You could try Bome's Mouse keyboard , This together with a virtual midi driver like MidiYoke , turns your computer keyboard into a virtual keyboard Instrument that you can play.

You will find it here http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/download.html
    This tutorial for sonar is useful and has links for a number of Virtual midi drivers
    http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/help/sonar_tut.php

Hope this is helpful

Len
    CakeMaker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Pre Purchase question 2007/08/19 20:00:06 (permalink)
    Beano,

I think what you are asking here is about soft synths. That is the way of making sounds thru your computer without having any actual instruments plugged in. There is indeed a way to do that, but there is a bit of a learning curve. Read everything you can on software synthesizers and how they work, it will do a world of good. You can certainly do that, and there is another suite of instruments available now called "studio instruments" that does kind of the same thing. Except that in Studio Instruments you are actually playing the instrument itself as opposed to a synth, which is likely to be a knob or a fader or something else.

HTH,
    C/M
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1