Pre fader monitoring and scenes

Author
southpaw3473
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 782
2008/05/21 22:03:43 (permalink)

Pre fader monitoring and scenes

Hey all,
I have a couple of newbie questions regarding Sonar. First, I can't find a way to monitor tracks pre fader. I know there must be a way and it's invaluable when mixing. I just can't find out how. Uggh!

The other question is about scenes. Can you take a picture (sometimes called scenes) of the entire project at a particular time?
I have been using a Yamaha AW2816 for several years and I can save a scene that has everything-fader positions, eq settings, channel on status, etc. I have wandered away from where I started a few times and had to reset everything individually. It is much easier to call up a scene with all the info in it. Now, does Sonar have a way to do this? Sorry, these are probably dumb questions but I'm still finding my way around the program. Thanks for the help.

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
Sonar Platinum
Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!

8 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/21 22:37:39 (permalink)
    If you check out the help file (PressF1) there's an audio path diagram that will show you what the audio path coming into SONAR is all about. I suspect that what you really need to do is monitor pre SONAR ie through your soundcard.

When you save a project its like taking a snapshot of all your settings.
    The problem comes with the Realtime aspect of audio manipulation that once you've performed a change time has moved on and so your settings change relative to that time. SONAR can be set to do infinte levels of undo and as all editing is not destructive you never lose anything anyway.
    SONAR has the ability to record real time movements of faders etc so that as you create a mix you can change settings which will be recorded for you. This is activated per channel.

SONAR also can save project and/or track templates. YOu can make basic settings including inserts, plugins, eq etc and when you want to use those just insert that track. Many have setup a basic recording template with everything preconfigured so that when you get a new band in with a certain configuration ou can just load a template with everythign loaded and patched ready to go.

there's a lot to learn isn't there.

Check out some of the templates in the sample COntent folder.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/21 22:57:47 (permalink)
    "Can you take a picture (sometimes called scenes) of the entire project at a particular time?"

Save as
    ru
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/21 22:57:52 (permalink)
    sonar's snapshot function lets you work in 'scenes'.
    southpaw3473
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 782
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/21 23:20:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

If you check out the help file (PressF1) there's an audio path diagram that will show you what the audio path coming into SONAR is all about. I suspect that what you really need to do is monitor pre SONAR ie through your soundcard.

When you save a project its like taking a snapshot of all your settings.
    The problem comes with the Realtime aspect of audio manipulation that once you've performed a change time has moved on and so your settings change relative to that time. SONAR can be set to do infinte levels of undo and as all editing is not destructive you never lose anything anyway.
    SONAR has the ability to record real time movements of faders etc so that as you create a mix you can change settings which will be recorded for you. This is activated per channel.

SONAR also can save project and/or track templates. YOu can make basic settings including inserts, plugins, eq etc and when you want to use those just insert that track. Many have setup a basic recording template with everything preconfigured so that when you get a new band in with a certain configuration ou can just load a template with everythign loaded and patched ready to go.

there's a lot to learn isn't there.

Check out some of the templates in the sample COntent folder.

Thanks Mike-it will take some getting used to. After 30 years in recording I feel like I'm starting all over again. Kinda cool! Anyway, what I meant was to monitor the meters pre fader. Seeing the raw signal is really useful. Sorry I didn't explain myself.

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
    UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
    THANK YOU!!!
    DaneStewart
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/22 02:18:30 (permalink)
    AMEN Southpaw.

There are many things we would do constantly and instinctively in the "tape machines and consoles" world that seem overlooked in the DAW arena. Checking incoming signal level pre-fade on the meters would be done...what...2,000 times a day with a glance we didn't even think about, right?

I think the trick is to learn how to configure the DAW the way YOU would like to work, and then saving that as a template.
    I essentially "built" a console I would like to work on, and now that's my template I start with every time. It's a workflow concept that works for me....everyone needs to work out their own.
    At least this SONAR thing is reeeeeeally flexible in how you can set it up. You just have to figure out how to do that.

Cheers,
    ~Dane

To thine own self be true. ~TheDane
    mudgel
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/22 08:51:16 (permalink)
    Depending on where in the input chain you want to monitor you can insert a meter into the fx bin which of course is pre fader so you can check levels coming in either from recorded tracks or from outside SONAR

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mudgel
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/22 09:07:42 (permalink)
    BTW find that Signal Flow Chart in the help file by typing "Signal" into the index box or its in the Mixing section of the online manual (Press F1) under Signal Flow

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Pre fader monitoring and scenes 2008/05/22 10:33:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

Depending on where in the input chain you want to monitor you can insert a meter into the fx bin which of course is pre fader so you can check levels coming in either from recorded tracks or from outside SONAR

I use RNDigital's "Inspector" (the free version which is excellent!) in the FX bin when I need metering/analysis functions on certain tracks at times. Also, in the Track/Bus Inspector pane, you can right-click on the meter and under Track Meter or Bus Meter Options select "Pre-Fader".

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1