PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7

Author
dwhitejazz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2017/07/15 20:42:26 (permalink)

PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7

I know PreSonus Firepods are not supported for Windows 7 64 bit, but my units had been working fine until this morning.  Now the devices are not recognized by Windows 7.  In Device Manager, all I see is Error Code 10.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and tweaking the upper/lower filters in the Registry.  All fails.

Has anyone run into this? I guess it's finally time for me to ditch the Firepods and buy new Focusrite units. There must have been some Windows update that triggered this issue, but I can't point to anything specific.

Dave White

post edited by dwhitejazz - 2017/07/17 15:11:59

4 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7 2017/07/16 15:24:17 (permalink)
    Likely the Firepod drivers have gotten corrupted.

Power off the Firepods, uninstall the drivers, reinstall the latest drivers (or the ones you had installed before), and reboot your system.

Another possibility is a Win7 update caused the problem.  If you can rollback your system, that should fix it (But you won't be able to run OS updates anymore).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    dwhitejazz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7 2017/07/17 14:50:55 (permalink)
    Yes, I tried uninstalling the drivers using Device Manager and re-installing the "latest" Firepod drivers which are quite old (PreSonus stopped updating them in 2010).

I'm not sure if uninstalling actually removes the files from the Windows system or if I have to do manual steps.  Likewise, I don't know if I should try to find all references to those drivers in the Windows Registry and manually delete keys.  If I have to go that route, I'll definitely backup the Registry first.

If the driver files are indeed removed with the uninstall then I don't think they were corrupted. There was probably some dependent DLL that was updated (or removed) that is now preventing the driver from starting.

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7 2017/07/18 13:53:33 (permalink)
    dwhitejazz

I'm not sure if uninstalling actually removes the files from the Windows system or if I have to do manual steps...

You shouldn't be using the uninstall in Device Manager.  When you need to uninstall a driver completely, the best and safest method is to use the device’s uninstaller program (if it has one, in Control Panel-Programs). 

Before you go into the registry, do you have any options to roll back in System Restore?  Rolling back might solve your problems for you without having to mess with drivers/registry.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: PreSonus Firepods Suddenly Not Recognized By Windows 7 2017/07/22 01:37:36 (permalink)
    That is what happened to my Presonus Firepod.  

It is the Firewire port on the Firepod.    Presonus never updated the drivers after Windows XP, so yes, the initial installation of Windows 7 worked but as updates came along the Firepod stopped working.

At this point, I don't think you can sell it as many users have Windows 8 - Windows 10  and the Firepod definitely will not work on those Operating systems.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1