Preamp Question

Author
MattandChuck
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 40
2008/05/14 20:41:50 (permalink)

Preamp Question

Hi guys-

I posted the other day stating that I got an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. I love it. I am looking to expand to get 8 more preamps. I am selling my Tascam DM24 just due to the overwhelming nature of the board and the lack of compatability with Sonar. It is a great board, but it was used as a glorified control surface. We have already had great success with the new board. The other peice we have is the Motu 2408mkIII. Would this device serve as our additional 8 ins? We could use converters from Mic to Line, so the fact that it does not have "mic" inputs, would not be an issue. Or would it? Would we lose quality doing that? Also, would it be best to go through the ADAT hookup in my M-Audio or should we use the Firewire port? Seems like going through ADAT would be good, but Firewire would word, I think. I have heard that using two sources is not the best idea when in Sonar. Any help would be great. If the 2408 does not work the way I would like, We could sell it and buy an M-Audio Octane or PreSonus DigiMax or something.

Thanks.

9 Replies Related Threads

rotaholic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/14 22:03:40 (permalink)
    Do you really need 16 ins? I have the projectmix and use a groovetubes brick as my preamp with awesome results.
    MattandChuck
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 08:36:40 (permalink)
    well, I have about 8 mics on the drums alone, so when I record the bass player and scratch guitar etc..., I like to get that extra few ins. I like to go direct and mic the amps for the bass and guitars. I would also use this for scratch vocals.
    Dr. Mac
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 08:47:42 (permalink)
    I agree... 16 inputs is nice to have. I have an RME FF800 with 10 inputs + 2 SPDIF for a total of 12 right now and I'm saving for a nice ADAT converter to bring this to 20 total. I just did a project where I had 11 mics on the drums, so I had to mix together scratch guitar & scratch vocals on to the one remaining track. Nowadays, using 20 mics on a 5 piece drum set is not unusual either... guess we're all getting a bit greedy with our inputs :)

RME FireFace 800, 3.4GHz quad-core AMD-64, 8 Gigs RAM Sonar X2a Producer, Fav. Plugs: Ozone 5 Advanced, Waves, Sonnox, Melodyne, Voxengo, SSL Native, Drumagog 5 Platinum
    MattandChuck
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 09:12:08 (permalink)
    completely agree. I mean, I record with usually no more than a 5 piece kit. Very rarely will I use my 6 piece. But, even with my 4 piece, I have 4 mics on the drums, 2 Overheads, hihat. That is 7 ins right there, just on a 4 piece. Sometimes I also mic the bottom snare. Keep in mind, I am coming from a DM24 where I could record more than 8 mics at a time.
    frankandfree
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 09:12:38 (permalink)

I have no experience with either of your interfaces, but on the ADAT vs Firewire issue i can say that the ADAT route works painless, whereas for firewire you´d have to assign two audio devices in Sonar. Which might happen without problem too, but you were bound to WDM drivers. I would expect some more CPU overhead. Why don´t you just give both a try and let performance decide?

Likely, that your mic to line converters rob you some sound, depending on their quality of course. And with what you compare.

And yes, even in my small bedroom studio i find good use for 16 ins and outs that my RME hdsp provides together with a Marian Adcon ADAT box. I still got a few outboard stuff left, hate repatching cables and like to have some free inputs at hand when friends step in for a jam.
    MattandChuck
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 09:24:33 (permalink)
    good call. I am gonna try with ADAT first. I know that will work for sure. I did not know if one would be better than the other, but we will see.

Also, I feel like having a converter for Mic to Line would lose quality. Does anyone have experience with that?
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 09:35:08 (permalink)
    Also, I feel like having a converter for Mic to Line would lose quality. Does anyone have experience with that?

If you're talking about an impedance adapter device I wouldn't recommend it. For obvious reasons you should NEVER consider using one on mics that require phantom power.

Regards,
    Papa
    Dr. Mac
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 09:50:23 (permalink)
    I have no experience with either of your interfaces, but on the ADAT vs Firewire issue i can say that the ADAT route works painless, whereas for firewire you´d have to assign two audio devices in Sonar. Which might happen without problem too, but you were bound to WDM drivers. I would expect some more CPU overhead. Why don´t you just give both a try and let performance decide?

With my FireFace800, the ADAT feeds into one of the lightpipe channels in the back and works through it. Therefore, Sonar only sees one audio device with up to 56 channels. It's VERY simple to use!

RME FireFace 800, 3.4GHz quad-core AMD-64, 8 Gigs RAM Sonar X2a Producer, Fav. Plugs: Ozone 5 Advanced, Waves, Sonnox, Melodyne, Voxengo, SSL Native, Drumagog 5 Platinum
    MattandChuck
    RE: Preamp Question 2008/05/15 10:13:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Mac

With my FireFace800, the ADAT feeds into one of the lightpipe channels in the back and works through it. Therefore, Sonar only sees one audio device with up to 56 channels. It's VERY simple to use!

seems like this is my best option. Although, I think going from the MOTU 2408 to a preamp with ADAT out that has 8 mic and line inputs would be better as the converters could lose too much quality.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1