Preamp into interface - use a spliter??

Author
oneglobalmind
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2007/08/13 15:52:13 (permalink)

Preamp into interface - use a spliter??

My preamp has single XLR out. My Tascam interface offers L & R XLR input.
When recording vocals, does it make sense to use a Y cable to feed both the L & R inputs
from the one out on the preamp??

Thanks for any technique suggestions anyone can offer

Cheers - DG
Songwriter, Bass Player...some guitar

http://www.mixposure.com/deacon_gene/

17 Replies Related Threads

corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 15:55:26 (permalink)
    No, if the source is mono, then only record mono or you're wasting disk space!
    oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 15:59:16 (permalink)
    Would this logic apply for recording guitar tracks as well using the same Preamp to interface??

Cheers - DG

corrupted
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:06:56 (permalink)
    Well, if it's a mono source, then definitely. Why would you record the same source twice? A stereo recording of a mono source is twice as large because all of the data is duplicated.

There is truly nothing that needs to be recorded in stereo, because recording 2 mono tracks allows you to play with panning and placement later. But that's only if it's a true stereo signal. If it comes from one input or one mic, then recording it twice isn't very pointful, do you agree?
    post edited by corrupted - 2007/08/13 16:15:46
    oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:10:53 (permalink)
    So then do you "set as stereo" in the bussing or mixing stage?
    Or do you never use the stereo option if it was never recorded in stereo?

I apologize if this is a really stupid question...

Cheers - DG

corrupted
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:17:36 (permalink)
    Deacon,
    Not a stupid question, it is a bit confusing at first glance... you're not the first to question it.

Okay. Say you record a single guitar line in mono with one microphone. Then you can pan that track wherever you want using the pan slider just above the fader in the console view. If that is being sent to a bus that is mono, the panning that you did with the track slider will essentially be ignored because the bus will pipe everything through as mono. Then you could always pan that bus, but everything going through the bus would be panned the same. By leaving the bus as stereo (typical usage), you can pan the tracks wherever you want and the bus will leave them in that panning.

So if you have 2 guitar tracks, both mono, one track panned 100% L and the other panned 100% R... set the outputs of both tracks to a stereo bus and apply reverb, they will both stay panned and the reverb will be a stereo effect.

Does that make any sense?
    bobr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:33:40 (permalink)

I have a related question. If you record a guitar that has stereo effects built into the patch, such as from my Boss GT-8, You would always want to use both the Left and Right outs into a stereo channel in Sonar correct? If not using any stereo effects then it's just as well to record only the L/mono.

OR

Also my GT-8 has a SPDIF Stereo out that I often run into my MOTU Traveler SPDIF in. I like to use that as it skips a set of D/A - A/D conversion. Space is not much of an issue so I figure it is best to go ahead and use the SPDIF in stereo regardless of whether or not I am employing stereo effects.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks!

Bob
    oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:34:26 (permalink)
    post edited by oneglobalmind - 2007/08/13 16:44:51

Cheers - DG

oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:36:56 (permalink)
    Deacon,
    Not a stupid question, it is a bit confusing at first glance... you're not the first to question it.

Okay. Say you record a single guitar line in mono with one microphone. Then you can pan that track wherever you want using the pan slider just above the fader in the console view. If that is being sent to a bus that is mono, the panning that you did with the track slider will essentially be ignored because the bus will pipe everything through as mono. Then you could always pan that bus, but everything going through the bus would be panned the same. By leaving the bus as stereo (typical usage), you can pan the tracks wherever you want and the bus will leave them in that panning.

So if you have 2 guitar tracks, both mono, one track panned 100% L and the other panned 100% R... set the outputs of both tracks to a stereo bus and apply reverb, they will both stay panned and the reverb will be a stereo effect.

Does that make any sense?

yep, sure does....

Aside from using less disk space, would there be any tone or clarity differences in recording mono as you described
    compared to the way I have been doing it with the Y splitter?

Cheers - DG

corrupted
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:43:21 (permalink)
    Bob, in the case of a stereo source, there are 2 schools of thought. If you want to maintain the exact stereo image and width of the source, then you can record it as a stereo track. The other option would be to record 2 mono tracks (one from the left output and one from the right). Then, you could pan them out 50% each if you wanted to narrow the stereo width... it gives you a bit more flexibility. And yes, if you're not using effects, then using the L/mono is all you need. Also, if you still want the stereo field but want it to sound like it's on the left side of the overall field, you can pan one hard left and the other to the center and play with the volumes until they're correct, etc... there are many more possibilities with dual mono tracks. The way Sonar handles stereo pan is much more like "balance" than pan. IOW, if you pan a stereo track 100% L, all you hear is the left side, the right side is effectively muted.

Deacon. Theoretically, any extra connection is a slight degradation of signal. So, the more connectors you go through, the more noise you can induce and the more resistance you add to the cable. Now, realistically, you probably won't have any issue with that Y cable, but as I said it's the only thing you could really have as a complaint. Either way, if the source is mono anyway, I'd pull it out and pan track 1 to center. If you don't have the option to pan it on your input device, then leave the Y cable in there so you can track without having it panned to one side.

HTH!
    post edited by corrupted - 2007/08/13 16:54:26
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:45:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: oneglobalmind

yep, sure does....

Aside from using less disk space, would there be any tone or clarity differences in recording mono as you described
    compared to the way I have been doing it with the Y splitter?

You should get a better quality recording in mono, for one reason when you use a Y cable you are messing up the impendence of the input and creating a dead short from one to the other. Don't do that. The only time to record in stereo is when you have a true stereo source like two microphones and two preamps (or dual preamp).

When building a song the tracks are almost always mono. What creates the stereo of the final mix is how you pan them left and right and the effects. For example if you put a stereo reverb in the effects bin of a mono track the output of that track is simulated stereo going to the main mix. The reverb creates the illusion of a room by having the reverb come out the left and right side with different delay and tone. The idea is to fake the reflections off walls in a room that are not the same distance from the listening position.. clever hey ?

If you do want to try recording in stereo with two mics and two preamps you have to make darn sure it sounds right for the mix, it's a fine art. Also, a good example of where you would record in stereo is the two overhead mics when you use a mic setup on a drum set, or when recording the entire band live to stereo.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/08/13 16:54:47
    oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:46:27 (permalink)

Deacon. Theoretically, any extra connection is a slight degradation of signal. So, the more connectors you go through, the more noise you can induce and the more resistance you add to the cable. Now, realistically, you probably won't have any issue with that Y cable, but as I said it's the only thing you could really have as a complaint. Either way, if the source is mono anyway, I'd pull it out and pan track 1 to center. If you don't have the option to pan it on your input device, then leave the Y cable in there so you can track without having it panned to one side.

Thanks much - I will try this tonight ! !

Cheers - DG

corrupted
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:51:30 (permalink)
    Hope it works out for you!
    ohhey
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 16:56:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bobr

I have a related question. If you record a guitar that has stereo effects built into the patch, such as from my Boss GT-8, You would always want to use both the Left and Right outs into a stereo channel in Sonar correct? If not using any stereo effects then it's just as well to record only the L/mono.

OR

Also my GT-8 has a SPDIF Stereo out that I often run into my MOTU Traveler SPDIF in. I like to use that as it skips a set of D/A - A/D conversion. Space is not much of an issue so I figure it is best to go ahead and use the SPDIF in stereo regardless of whether or not I am employing stereo effects.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks!

Bob

Yes, in the case of pre-processed guitar that has a true stereo output then yes you want to capture that as a stereo track.

As for the GT-8 SPDIF I would try it both ways. The problem with digital interfaces is that you are often skiping the good A/D and using the bad one. However, if the GT-8 has to convert the guitar to digital anyway to make the effects (and does not convert back to analog) then it might sound better then the analog outs of the GT-8.

There are other problems with digital interfaces and as a rule you should avoid them. For example SPIDF is single direction and non error checking so if there are errors you can't even detect them, the clock has to also travel over the wire and that's not good. There is a good chance the MOTU sample rate clock is better then the one in the GT-8. Using SPDIF also means your project has to be the same sample rate as your device. But like I said be sure to try it both ways to see what you think sounds best, guitar is not exactly a HiFi source so reality may be better then best practices would suggest. After all most of the great guitar sounds we enjoy today are the result of someone adjusting an amp "wrong" and treating it badly.
    bobr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 17:09:26 (permalink)
    Frank,

In Sonar in order to use the SPDIF, I have to adjust the MOTU Traveler Driver clock from internal to SPDIF. Everything sounds great and there seem to be no adverse effects. I realize that if I were using other "clock" related sync functions that this could be an issue, but so far I am not doing anything like that.

After the tracks are recorded, I then go back and change the clock back to internal and everthing seems fine. I felt it would be best to take the digital signal from the GT-8 directly to the traveler to avoid the GT-8's internal Digital to Analog converter just to have it run straigh to the Traveler and then get converted back again.

So far most of my experimenting has seemed to me that it is favorable to use the SPDIF but I certainly thought it would be worth getting a feel for any other feedback the forum users may have to offer.

Thanks all for the input.

Take care,

Bob
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 17:18:14 (permalink)
    oneglobamind,

Out of curiosity, which pre-amp are you using?

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    oneglobalmind
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 20:46:53 (permalink)

Out of curiosity, which pre-amp are you using?

Art Tube MP

Cheers - DG

ohhey
    RE: Preamp into interface - use a spliter?? 2007/08/13 23:43:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bobr

Frank,

In Sonar in order to use the SPDIF, I have to adjust the MOTU Traveler Driver clock from internal to SPDIF. Everything sounds great and there seem to be no adverse effects. I realize that if I were using other "clock" related sync functions that this could be an issue, but so far I am not doing anything like that.

After the tracks are recorded, I then go back and change the clock back to internal and everthing seems fine. I felt it would be best to take the digital signal from the GT-8 directly to the traveler to avoid the GT-8's internal Digital to Analog converter just to have it run straigh to the Traveler and then get converted back again.

So far most of my experimenting has seemed to me that it is favorable to use the SPDIF but I certainly thought it would be worth getting a feel for any other feedback the forum users may have to offer.

Thanks all for the input.

Take care,

Bob

That's good to know. I'm glad you posted this because I often don't try the SPDIF thinking it won't be good. Also, I tend to work at 44.1 so the sample rate issue is not a problem for me.

NOTE: I'm not sure what you mean by "sync functions" but remember sample rate clock is just for the sample rate and not related to other stuff like SMPTE, MTC, etc.

Also, how do you like the GT-8 ? My Johnson J-Station is a bit old and I would like some new sounds to work with, I'm thinking about a new guitar effect.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/08/13 23:52:06
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1