"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out.

Author
acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/01/17 19:32:16 (permalink)

"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out.

I got this song to mix last night. A very charming and energetic band with good vocals and bass player. It's in spanish actually, but it's very listenable even if you don't understand it.

The guitar tracks were a little ruff (recordings), but I made the best of them by focusing on the bass more.

I'm starting to mix a bit faster. This only took me 10 or 11 hours. LOL.

Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/fecharacterguide/prefiero
post edited by acoustigod - 2011/01/17 19:44:44

9 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/17 19:55:52 (permalink)
    you got a good tone on that bass. It feels like there are a few timing anomalies on this one. I might give that snare a little more.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/17 19:58:48 (permalink)
    I have to agree.... I like that bass tone as well!

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    acoustigod
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/17 20:35:21 (permalink)
    There's not much I can do with the timing. This entire session was recorded live, and it was the band's first time recording. The time runs up I guess (not my call... I'm just the mixer) and they have to go with this for their demo.

Thanks for recognizing the bass tone ;) I worked really hard bringing that out. The actual bass doesn't sound like this, lol ;)
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/01/17 20:36:52
    acoustigod
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/18 03:24:44 (permalink)
    Fixed several panning issues, especially with intro. The timing in the intro doesn't seem so jarring now, even though it's composition problem. Added a touch to the snare hits to help distinguish them from the toms a bit more. A few other things. Enjoy

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/18 07:09:26 (permalink)
    Acousticgod,
    I must say that I'm listening on PC speakers that I have become to be very familiar with.  The first thing I noticed was the bass tone.  Great job on that.

Unfortunately, I think for a demo the band should reconsider re-recording this. These timing issues at the beginning we a bit difficult to stomach.

On a high note, the lead vocal come through very well.  All the words are clearly understood.  Awesome lyrics and message BTW.

Overall, I think you did a great mix. 

Regards,
    Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    acoustigod
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/18 07:33:39 (permalink)
    Psalmist35, your observations are 100% correct. I do think they should re-record it as well. With the same gear, it wouldn't take twice the time remix it. They wouldn't even need to do the vocals again, or even the bass.

There's some real unfortunate things that happened with this song I think. I don't know the details about *how* this was recorded, but I do know it was the band's first time. You can infer that the band looks to the drummer for timing... and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this was probably the first time he/she used a click track. I think that's why the intro is so sluggish and takes them a bit to get moving... not exactly good for recording.

Which leads me to my next guess - they may have only did a few takes due to studio time limitations. It's too bad that they didn't have all the time necessary to get the correct recording.

Also, the guitar recordings are really, really bad. The original recordings I got had hums, buzzes, and noise. Also, most of the sound of the rhythm guitars is mud or cheap distortion on top of a tinny-sounding guitar. Apparently very good mics were used, so my guess is that the actual guitar or amp was not very good at all. It is impossible to boost at all with EQ on these recordings.

My solution was just to cut massive amounts of bad sound... and ironically, since I got the bass to sound fantastic, it kind of fills 3 roles - bass, groove and even filling in the rhythm tones that the guitar tracks are not providing.

For a song that is mostly well conceived, I'm not sure how/why the band thought this intro was effective. I am tempted to just start deleting entire bars and get the listener to start hearing the song as the timing issues between the drums, the guitar and the bass are too much to ignore, especially for the average listener. It doesn't really make a good first impression.

Having said all of that, my job is to mix ;) I can't really do anything except for mute, cut and delete... and I'm not sure how to proceed with this intro :(

I'll just have to wait and see what the band says. I should know soon.

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/18 10:19:31 (permalink)
    "The original recordings I got had hums, buzzes, and noise."

Oh my!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    acoustigod
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/19 06:32:47 (permalink)
    Yep. I always get recordings like that. In the real world, a lot of studios do not check their recordings before they send them out to be mixed :(

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:"Prefiero" by Drev. Mix and Mastered by me. Check it out. 2011/01/19 08:15:01 (permalink)
    yeah. Good job making it as good as it could be.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1