Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down

Author
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
2014/05/30 05:53:08 (permalink)

Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down

Dear PowerCore User
As you probably know, we have ceased further development and support for the PowerCore platform.
As a consequence to this decision, in half a year from now, 30 November 2014, we will close down the PowerCore Account system, which means that it will no longer be possible to:
1) Generate plug-ins for generation 1 PowerCores (PCI & Element)
2) Transfer licenses between generation 2 PowerCores (All other versions)
3) Change PowerCore ownership in connection with a resale
For most PowerCore users, this will not change anything: all PowerCores will keep running as before, but please keep in mind that from 30 November 2014, you can no longer request, download,  manage or resell PowerCore licenses from your PowerCore Account.

Some PowerCore users need to be aware of the following:
PowerCore Generation 1 and Virus Multi users: You need to backup your plug-ins. After 30 November 2014, you will no longer be able to request new versions of them.
PowerCore Generation 2 users: If you have pending licenses in your account, or if you wish to transfer licenses between PowerCore units or other users, you’ll have to do it before 30 November 2014.
Please take action now, but just in case, we will make sure to send you a reminder when we approach the final deadline for backing up and transfering licenses.

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

9 Replies Related Threads

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/03 19:43:11 (permalink)
     Not good news but not unexpected. Many of us have asked TC to at least issue separate licenses for each card that is owned in case of the card with the licenses had failed, we'd at least have a back-up installer for our others.

Not sure you heard but it was announced that UAD has picked up the powercore plugs. Not sure what that means for current powercore license holders but I doubt very much there is a free upgrade to UAD's 64bit versions when released. 

Me

Bajan Blue
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/04 03:59:44 (permalink)
    Many of us have asked TC to at least issue separate licenses for each card that is owned in case of the card with the licenses had failed, we'd at least have a back-up installer for our others

Do you know if TC ever replied on this? I have a compact and a firwire but all the licenses are on the Compact - Nigel

Nigel

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

ohgrant
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/04 07:31:04 (permalink)
    No response from TC as of yet, I'm afraid our request is being drowned out by some that feel that they should be issued all the licenses that they didn't buy.

Me

Bajan Blue
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/04 10:02:23 (permalink)
    and why do they think they should get those I wonder - if they just let us have some way of moving from one to another in case of failure that would be enough I feel

Nigel

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/04 10:50:55 (permalink)
    So software licenses are stored on the card, not in a license file that can be backed up? That's scary. That's one of the reasons I don't do dongles.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ohgrant
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/04 18:39:48 (permalink)
    Yes, different than UAD where with UAD all the cards are part of the "system" and the plugs are authorized to all system cards.  With poco, the plugs are authorized to a single card but will work on other cards as long as the authorized card is present.

I'm a little concerned but in all fairness, though I read a lot about TC interfaces breaking down. I can't recall I've ever read anything about an actual Powercore card failure in their forums. Tons of compatibility issues with firewire and the new iOS and a few of the older 3rd party plugs have side chain issues in Windows, all issues driver related but with no hope of fixing. I'm fairly confident I'll have my poco plugs for a while. Only thing not working here for me in 64bit is a few pedals from the bundle and the sidechain/carrier for Waldorf D-coder. Can't use it as a vocoder in 64bit but still works as a synth. I have all the others except "Unwrap" everything else working better wrapped than they ever worked in a 32bit environment.  

For more forum info and to keep an eye on the folks selling off, you might want to check here.  http://forum.tcelectronic.com/forum/2/powercore-platform/  

post edited by ohgrant - 2014/06/04 19:00:44

Me

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/05 10:18:39 (permalink)
    Somebody brought up an interesting point on that forum: tc's action may be in violation of the license agreement, which of course software vendors have always maintained is a binding contract (despite being struck down by courts in the EU).

If you never own software but only license (rent) it, does that mean the vendor is free to take it away from you at any time for any reason? I would think that depends on the terms of the license agreement.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ohgrant
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/16 12:45:51 (permalink)
     Not a legal expert, but I would have to say when there is hardware involved such as Powercore/ UAD it will possibly be viewed as a warranty to the courts. I'm not sure that having the web site down would constitute them taking away anything from customers as far as the courts would be concerned.  

I kind of think UAD set a precedent when they wrote into their driver, code that permanently disables all but the first instance of UAD on a UAD-1 platform. I guess they can take away at any time.

Me

dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re: Prepare for PowerCore Close-Down 2014/06/18 06:23:17 (permalink)
    Speaking of people selling off their Powercore stuff, my PC Compact Firewire has been sitting here in its box for well over a year now, since my old computer died. I tried installing a pci firewire card in my new Win8 machine but couldn't get the Powercore firewire to work reliably. It worked well with my old XP machine with built-in firewire. The reverb plugin was great, and I used the Character plugin a lot.

Anyhow, if anyone wants it, PM me an offer. Same situation for my Focusrite Liquid Mix firewire.

Some of My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1