Helpful ReplyPre-processing before Amp sims

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2017/04/09 06:16:12 (permalink)

Pre-processing before Amp sims

I'm pretty new to the world of Guitars and Amp, I've never played through a real amp, so just have TH2 (3 sort of) and MarkBass. These come with stomps of compressors. What would be the benefit of using these before and amp over those in the DAW; CA2A, PC76 and Boz+10 for example. I'm guessing having a modelled high end compressor over a modeled stomp box.

I've also been investigating pick ups and note comments like 'more attack, more sustain, deeper sound, more even dynamics, more presence etc. These all seem the subtle qualities you can achieve processing the sound pre Amp Sim, to mimic a better sounding an instrument. Of course a better sounding instrument would be better, but I've wondered about using transient designers, Channel eq's etc before the amp sim to achieve these qualities

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 06:29:08 (permalink)
Amp sims can house the entire chain which is a nice feature of their presets. The only thing I personally use prior to an amp sim is a limiter in my interface. That is just to prevent clipping inbound.

I would suggest not getting too heavy handed with compression or gain before an amp (sim). If you compress or gain signal you do not want, it is incredibly difficult to remove later.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 06:37:43 (permalink)
Do you ever use the compressors stomp boxes that come with Amp sims?

Anything I'd try wouldn't be applied to the audio file, so it would easily be removed.

mettelus
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 06:52:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/04/12 10:10:55
Compression is good prior to heavy distortion. Gain and compression feeding a distortion module will get more out.

The stock presets are a good starting point with TH2, since building a chain from scratch can be tedious.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 07:11:48 (permalink)
Not so much for me, as I prefer clean. And end up trying to find out what in the stocks are causing the signal to break up. My thinking would be more to presenting a more level playing to the amp, to make up for my playing inconsistencies.  
This is for bass as well as guitar.

Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 07:16:02 (permalink)
I attempted to upgrade to TH3 last week, but gave up after about 20 submissions to MyCommerce to pay for it.

Although I was more interested in the Bass amps and Cabs that the Guitar. Thought the options in TH3 would contrast against the modern MarkBass Tones, 

mettelus
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 07:56:30 (permalink)
Can you clarify the signal breaking up? You mean the signal dropping out? A compressor can help some with this, but the signal will just "cut off" at a certain point. Same with using a noise gate. A feedback loop of some sort (guitar receiving the notes back from a speaker) will help sustain but can be tricky and potentially annoy others. Another option is to raise the height of pickups to be closer to the strings (fret at the highest fret and adjust the pickup height so that it almost touches). The bridge pickup is good to do this with (since it also catches more harmonics), but the neck pickup is usually best left down a little below that (depending on the output).

Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 08:05:08 (permalink)
By breaking up, I mean distortion coming in. The stock presets in TH2 seems more for rock and blues players. So I start with a clean amp and cab, than use presets. I never seem to use presets in anything, synths. drum machines FX or anything really

fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 14:21:13 (permalink)
Regarding pickups, I don't think you'll find stomp boxes that'll do what various pickups will do. The pickup magnetics interact with the strings and ways that are dependent on how you strike the strings. The non-linearities in the magnetic core of the pickups also modify the tone in ways that are dependent on how you strike the strings. The position of the pickups relative to the end points of the string and position of the right hand also changes how the sound transforms over time. These are all examples of dynamics being in the hands and why people have so many guitars (they have different pickups and react differently to how you play). Stomp boxes have no information about how to strike the strings. They can't react the way pickups do.
Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 14:34:48 (permalink)
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm asking about using and engineers compressor (LA2A, 1176) instead of an amp sims stomp box. I'm also asking about using other tools and engineer would, such as transient designers, EQ such as the quad EQ, and the preciously mentioned Compressors, to condition the bass/guitar, before the amp sim, insetad of after. To introduce subtle qualities in the same way that having a different pickup would bring to an istrument. I know in the later case, it would be the same thing, but just as away to improve the tone before amping. 

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 16:41:19 (permalink)
In my experience and opinion, software models of hardware of compressors all sound about the same. The differences are subtle at best and the color or character they supposedly impart on the signal are also subtle at best unless and until you get into extreme settings (i.e. the 1176 all button mode etc).

Here's a thought experiment to show what I mean. Take an individual source track and clone it several times. Then use an 1176 on one track an LA2A on the next and Sonitus on the next and a Focusrite on the next etc. Next set all tracks to roughly the same (not extreme) amount of compression and same output level. If you did all that, I would bet that 99.999999% of the DAW users out there could not do any better than random chance at guessing which was which in a blind listening test.

I've said this before. The reason I choose one compressor plugin over another has nothing to do with sound. It has to do with the controls on that particular model and my understanding of how to use them. I gravitate toward the 1176 because I know how to get what I want out of it. I could get the same results with lots of other compressors, but it would take me longer because I don't know their controls as well. Also to be fair, I gravitate toward both the 1176 and the LA2A because they're in the prochannel which makes them quicker and easier to use and adjust.

So the bottom line is use which ever compressor you want because at the end of the day, compression is compression and it all sounds more or less the same regardless of which model you use. 

That being said, when I'm doing guitar usually go with the stomp box models rather than inserting a 'high end' model before the amp. I have a couple of reasons for that. First off, when I'm using compression on a guitar signal chain going into an amp, I'm usually trying to different things with the compressor than I when I'm using compression in a mix down setting.

Mixdown compression is often about taming dynamic range (keep the peaks under control) and sometimes also a bit of fattening. With guitar, its usually more about fattening and sustain than about keeping peaks under control. And like I said above, for me choosing which to use is about knowing how to get what I'm looking for from the control on that particular unit. When it comes to guitar compression, its faster and easier for me to use the stomp box models because I know how to set them. I could use an 1176, but chances are no one will hear the difference when its all said and done so why bother?

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 20:16:03 (permalink)
The modeled stomp boxes are based on compressors that were specifically designed to work with the characteristics of an electric guitar whereas the other compressors are general purpose studio compressors.  There are decades worth of countless recordings with those classic sounds baked in that people are used to hearing.  You'd drop a stomp box compressor into the chain in TH3 rather than use a separate LA-2A or similar if you wanted to get as close to that classic sound as possible without much fuss.  

An emulation of a classic studio signal chain might actually be a compressor stomp box upfront followed by the amp/cab/mic models in TH3 followed by a separate LA-2A or similar.  You can think of the stomp box compressor as a guitar effect and the LA-2A as the glue that pulls things together.  

That said, there are no rules.  If you put an LA-2A up front an like it, go for it.  There are stomp boxes out there that are actually based on LA-2A.  

Realize that compressors, particularly emulated compressors like the TH3 stomp boxes, CA-2A, etc., impart characteristics on the sound beyond just the theoretical compression.  You'd pick one or the other for a particular spot in the chain because you like those extra characteristics in that context.  

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/09 21:00:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2017/04/11 03:29:30
Kamikaze
I'm pretty new to the world of Guitars and Amp, I've never played through a real amp, so just have TH2 (3 sort of) and MarkBass. These come with stomps of compressors. What would be the benefit of using these before and amp over those in the DAW; CA2A, PC76 and Boz+10 for example. I'm guessing having a modelled high end compressor over a modeled stomp box.

I've also been investigating pick ups and note comments like 'more attack, more sustain, deeper sound, more even dynamics, more presence etc. These all seem the subtle qualities you can achieve processing the sound pre Amp Sim, to mimic a better sounding an instrument. Of course a better sounding instrument would be better, but I've wondered about using transient designers, Channel eq's etc before the amp sim to achieve these qualities

There are no strict rules in this area. You may find that your workflow helps you to achieve a very unique sound/tone.
Some suggestions to consider:
1) Try Tube Saturation PC module before amp-sim.
2) Use studio quality compressors, like the ones you mention after the amp sim, or between "amp" and "speaker" (this may or may not require two instances of TH2, depending on your choice of compressor).
3) Try EQ anywhere in the chain. Though I'd avoid using EQ before amp-sims, yet there are no strict rules.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
mettelus
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/10 04:50:41 (permalink)
Kamikaze
By breaking up, I mean distortion coming in.

Be careful with gain staging. For clean signals you definitely do not want to run hot anywhere, especially at the interface or the front end of TH2.

FWIW, do not rely on meters... I cannot get that "auto volume" feature in TH2 above mid yellow without clipping my interface. Be mindful of those specific stages, and compensate in the rest of the chain.

As mentioned above, FX are stupid and blindly process what they get fed. Be sure you consciously think about what is going into the next stage (can use multiple FX with SPAN inserted between each to get a feel for the chains you create).

"No set rules" is sage advice... experiment, learn, have fun.

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/10 14:09:09 (permalink)
realize that the better sims, use the natural signal from a guitar's pickups, as the 'starting point' to define the dynamics and touch sensitivity of what happens once it gets into the sim.

if you mess with the signal coming in, the sim will probably not react the way it was intended.

look into the REAMP system.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Soundwise
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/10 14:56:46 (permalink)
batsbrew
realize that the better sims, use the natural signal from a guitar's pickups, as the 'starting point' to define the dynamics and touch sensitivity of what happens once it gets into the sim.

AFAIC, only ReValver 4 has a dedicated control to set your pickup output, besides ACT profiles for different instruments and/or pickup configurations.

Anderton

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
batsbrew
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/10 16:34:39 (permalink)
yep.
those machines want to control the input,
not have it driven thru some other option before hitting their controls.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/10 21:55:48 (permalink)
Dave76
The modeled stomp boxes are based on compressors that were specifically designed to work with the characteristics of an electric guitar whereas the other compressors are general purpose studio compressors.  

The most common compressor pedals (MXR Dynacomp, Keeley and so on) are based on a Ross design. It's actually a high-ratio limiter with fast attack and the two knobs on the pedal set the threshold and makeup gain. I'm not sure to what extent Ross had the electric guitar in mind versus developing a circuit that would fit in a pedal and run on a 9V battery.

Unfortunately the basic Ross-derived 'two knob' designs seem to be the ones included in most amp sim packages. There are far better pedal designs out there. In my opinion anyway.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/11 03:39:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the input guys.

Regards the gain structure, I'm still learning this, being I like clean tones, TH2 meter stays in the yellow, and I just make sure I don't clip at the input. Coming from physical synthesizers and drum machines, I'm inclined to get the best signal out of my guitar for noise floor reasons, and deal with gain inside sonar, than

I investigated PUP heights too, and adjusted the neck height. top and bottom strings were the same hieight and I'm liking the bottom strings a little further away

I inclined to agree with TLW, I don't see what would be so special about stomp box compressor apart from it's portability and ease of use on a stage. Which isn't the scenario here. If I want a fast compressor before a sim, it seems I have some better tools in sonar for the job.

Being players often do put stomp boxes before an amp, I don't see why it would care if it's from an external VST, or a purpose built stomp that comes with the modeled amp.

The conditioning I was thinking about would be subtle changes, in the same way different PUPs create a dsubtle difference. I'm not trying to model a PUP. But if an UltraJazz PUP gives my bass say deeper bass, and stronger attack, I can bring these qualities with a transient designer and EQ. It's like the common question "EQ before or after the compressor". Seems the same scenario here to me. If there is a resonance going on with my Guitar, why not deal with this first?  I can see how a compressor before is going to affect how the amp responds, but evening out the a touch rather than squashing it was what I had in mind. So stong nots are more consistant in how the amp is affecting them, and softer notes are bought up.

I guess it's just not commonly done. I thought I would get some suggestions and handy tricks. Seeing at least Soundwise is experimenting with it, it doesn't feel so out there.  I'll play with it some more I guess.

I noted there were no comments about bass, thought there would be more players of both
post edited by Kamikaze - 2017/04/11 09:45:12

batsbrew
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/11 14:31:25 (permalink)
as far as compressors go,
i used to own an original grey box Ross,
and a script dynacomp,
and now i use a Barber Tone Press,
and for a good reason.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

mettelus
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/11 17:22:06 (permalink)
Amp Sims have a tendency to be too "perfect" or hot at higher frequencies. A LPF between 4-7K before compression is another item that may help.

So much of tone is personal preference so is impossible to give you a slam dunk reply.

Another learning tool is to take settings to extremes one at a time so you can easily recognize what is really going on. Swap order of modules in chains, etc.

Soundwise
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/11 20:59:36 (permalink)
mettelus
Amp Sims have a tendency to be too "perfect" or hot at higher frequencies.

Not sure what you mean here. FWIW, Most amp-sims suffer from aliasing, which becomes apparent and annoying with higher gain settings.

Anderton

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/11 21:58:01 (permalink)
I'll certainly run compressor plugins on bass, whether recorded using an MXR bass preamp, Sansamp or using a software amp sim. Which seem to perform better than most of the guitar amp sims for me.

I've done it with guitars as well, often the BozDigital 10dB compressor which I find sounds pretty good with guitar.

The guitar compressor pedal I use is a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone, mostly for playing glissando or after a Qtron envelope filter which pushes out some high gain peaks that need evening out a bit before they hit other pedals or the amp. I put a Keeley set pretty mildly in my bass setup to control filter peaks and resonance as well.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/12 03:54:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/04/12 13:10:51
I use amp Sims frequently because it is convenient. I'm under no illusions that it will sound close to a real amp with real Mics.

As far as trying different plugins... try them all. In every order. With all settings. I'm serious.

The more you play the better you will get. It is sometimes interesting to try to duplicate other sounds, but personally, the results I enjoy the most are the ones I invent because I like the sound.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/12 04:50:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/04/12 16:41:33
I researching gain structure for TH3, a day latter you appeared in my recommended videos on Youtube. Was helpful to see you getting to grips with it.

I enjoy just messing with a clean loop I've played and letting it play while I adjust the settings, then going back with the new settings to see how it feels, for another take, then rinse and repeat

mettelus
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/16 05:32:44 (permalink)
I just got a chance to watch Geoff's video above. Since I just got the TH3 upgrade myself, I noticed the input levels in that video are basically what I am seeing, i.e. I cannot drive TH3 above about 50% (in the yellow) before things start to blow apart (which is about -6dB in on my interface). Very mild volume levels will induce sustain feedback from PA speakers 15' away.

One thing that did come to mind with what Geoff is pursuing is have you looked at EQ matching (iZotope Ozone or similar) to look at the differences in the mics? For things that are identical otherwise, it will yield some insight into what each microphone is doing. As far as an amp sim goes, that is also a cheezy way to better replicate a recording (amped or otherwise) to what is coming out of the amp sim. Another method which I use as an intermediate step is to get midway between the amp and speaker (or run each in one channel on headphones). This will often get "close enough" alone from tweaking the amp sim alone, but there is often a few subtle +/- 1-2 dB areas floating around that an EQ matcher will point out.

Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/16 09:48:34 (permalink)
In Overloud's Markstudio, changing thie mics seems to to make small noticeable difference (I keep finding myself on the ribbon mic)

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/17 00:49:04 (permalink)
Real ribbons on real amps are great for recording loud guitars. I believe the California 121 is the Royer 121 ribbon in the Overloud simulators.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/18 18:20:13 (permalink)
KamikazeI inclined to agree with TLW, I don't see what would be so special about stomp box compressor apart from it's portability and ease of use on a stage. Which isn't the scenario here. If I want a fast compressor before a sim, it seems I have some better tools in sonar for the job.

Being players often do put stomp boxes before an amp, I don't see why it would care if it's from an external VST, or a purpose built stomp that comes with the modeled amp.
I didn't say that you can't use a general purpose compressor before the sim.  My point is that if you are looking to emulate a classic tone that was achieved with a specific stomp box, you'll probably find it easier to get that tone using the stompbox emulation rather than a general purpose emulation.  If you are looking for something different then, by all means, you'd want to try a different compressor.  Again, there aren't any rules and there isn't any "better" other than what you think sounds better.  

The real world LA-2A, stompbox compressors, etc. are analog circuits that implement the theoretical concept of compression and as such have imperfect audio characteristics beyond their theoretical purpose.  The available controls differ and that is going to affect what compression characteristics you can dial in.  The detector circuit design is an obvious example of something that is going to differ drastically and affect the response (a big part of the allure of the LA-2A in the first place though that might not be the response you want for a specific guitar tone).  An emulation of a battery powered stompbox isn't going to have the 50hz/60hz noise that an accurate LA-2A emulation will have.  That's why emulations exist rather than everyone just using something like the Sonitus compressor for everything.  I'd suggest trying all three all over the place to understand the difference (a stompbox emu, a studio emu, and a "purer" compressor).  These concepts apply to any other effect -- not just compression. 

Of course, all of this depends on the accuracy of the emulations.  I wouldn't be surprised if some emulations are just purer compressors with controls slapped on to work like the "emulated" hardware.   

Kamikaze
Re: Pre-processing before Amp sims 2017/04/22 01:10:10 (permalink)
I hadn't said anything about emulating a classic tone though, just getting a better one. My question was also about improving the tone of my bass and guitar before hitting a an Amp sim.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1