Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar?

Author
SorcererXIII
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2017/09/21 03:39:48 (permalink)

Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar?

So at home I use a 3840 x 1600 monitor, and the preset menu (the one at the top left of each VST window) fits everything, but for the next three weeks I'm travelling and only have a 1080p laptop.  The preset menu seems to show all the factory presets of whatever VST first, then shows mine beneath it, but there is only room for 11 of them, and there's no scrollbar.  How do I get it to present a scrollbar so I can view my presets?  Or is there some kind of preset explorer buried in Sonar that I have yet to find?

It happens with Reaktor 5, Reaktor 6, and FM8, but since it is the Sonar menu and not the menu of the VST, I think it would happen regardless of what plugin as long as I had enough presets saved.  Has anyone encountered this?  Is there a workaround?

5 Replies Related Threads

SorcererXIII
    Re: Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar? 2017/09/21 10:09:57 (permalink)
    So I was wrong; my monitor was 2560 x 1440.  But still I only have this issue with my 1920x1080 laptop.
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar? 2017/09/21 19:24:11 (permalink)
    I don't have an answer but rather I have a similar issue on a two monitor setup where on the second monitor some of the lists, like Fx, sends, etc. get too long and extend to the bottom of the screen and beyond and there is no scroll bar.

It is like not all of the window is being displayed on the screen so the software thinks that it doesn't need a scroll bar but it isn't actually visible. I wonder if there is some setting to adjust for this?

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    Flerb
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar? 2017/09/21 21:13:01 (permalink)
    I have the same issue as reginaldStjohn. I always have the console view on my second monitor, but when I try to add FX, I can't scroll beyond what is visible on the pop-up menu. I have to drag and drop from the browser if want something that's further down the menu. It's been like this for as long as I can remember.

Sonar Platinum on Windows 10
    i5 processor, 12 GB RAM, 256GB SSD boot drive, 500GB audio data drive
    Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 interface
    Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 interface
    PreSonus Faderport controller
    Frontier Tranzport controller
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar? 2017/09/21 22:57:15 (permalink)
    SorcererXIII
    So at home I use a 3840 x 1600 monitor, and the preset menu (the one at the top left of each VST window) fits everything, but for the next three weeks I'm travelling and only have a 1080p laptop.  The preset menu seems to show all the factory presets of whatever VST first, then shows mine beneath it, but there is only room for 11 of them, and there's no scrollbar.  How do I get it to present a scrollbar so I can view my presets?  Or is there some kind of preset explorer buried in Sonar that I have yet to find?

It happens with Reaktor 5, Reaktor 6, and FM8, but since it is the Sonar menu and not the menu of the VST, I think it would happen regardless of what plugin as long as I had enough presets saved.  Has anyone encountered this?  Is there a workaround?

I tried to duplicate this with a Sonitus effect by saving so many presets that I thought the column would extend beyond the screen. However, what happened was that it created a second column of presets with the overflow, so I can't help you there. Perhaps there's something in the way NI handles presets since you mentioned all NI products.

Maybe try using the up/down arrow keys so you can scroll down or up to the preset you want? I suppose it's not an optimum solution, but hopefully it will allow you to access the desired preset.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    SorcererXIII
    Re: Preset menu gets cut off at the bottom of screen, no scrollbar? 2017/09/22 02:47:13 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I tried to duplicate this with a Sonitus effect by saving so many presets that I thought the column would extend beyond the screen. However, what happened was that it created a second column of presets with the overflow, so I can't help you there. Perhaps there's something in the way NI handles presets since you mentioned all NI products.

Maybe try using the up/down arrow keys so you can scroll down or up to the preset you want? I suppose it's not an optimum solution, but hopefully it will allow you to access the desired preset.

Thanks, Anderton and everyone else.  So, yeah, it does seem like just this menu still believes I have a larger monitor, even though it's not even connected and has disappeared from Windows' display settings.  The Native Instruments presets seem to make it worse because they insert their factory presets into Sonar's menu, like 128 or so of them, causing it to create 3 columns.  But after the 3rd column it puts the user presets, and doesn't make a scroll bar or a fourth column.  Here's a screenshot I took (that will one day disappear from this post if I accidentally delete it from my website).  The presets with "Toms" in front denote that they were customized by me...it is how I save favorites, basically.

I did come up with a lame workaround which is to go into the plugin manager, which lists the presets without flaw, then place a numeric character in front of the name so that it sorts to the top.  But this still only works if I remember what the presets were and which I want to sort first.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1