Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL

Author
drunkmunky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/11/29 05:02:07 (permalink)

Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL

I just hooked up this firepod to my computer and the installation went great!

Now, I try to select an input from the in/out view and all I see is the
"Presonus Firepod 5 in,5 out"........ Shouldn't it say 8???

I go to the selections it has under the firepod and it says some weird stuff like
"LEFT Bco #0 input"
"Right Bco #0 input"
"Stereo Bco #0 input" It just says that over and over...

How do I get this thing to work right? Any ideas?

11 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 08:34:28 (permalink)
    Go to Options-Audio-Drivers and make sure all of the Input and Outputs are selected

Go to Options-Audio-Advanced and make sure the driver mode is set to ASIO.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    drunkmunky
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 12:31:10 (permalink)
    Ok I changed the drivers to ASIO and it said some error when I went to restart Cakewalk.
    Now I have more options for the firepod, but they are greyed out and I can't select them. The error said something about driver incompatibility with soundcard. My creative SB Audigy 4 should be compatible right?
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 12:37:35 (permalink)
    Under ASIO you can have either the Audigy or the Pod. I would think you'd want the Pod. You have to choose it as the driver under Options>Audio>Drivers. then restart, and your Pod should be available. And the nomeclaure of outs/ins has always been weird, but they should be there. Mine comes up as 1 left, 1 right and 1/2 or something like that. For monitoring, you'll need the 1st two anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 12:48:06 (permalink)
    Now, I try to select an input from the in/out view and all I see is the
    "Presonus Firepod 5 in,5 out"........ Shouldn't it say 8???

Nope! My Aardvark Q10 is very similar! I have 10 in, 10 out, but 2 of them are SPDIF, I am assuming yours is similar! They group the playback outputs before the monitor out 1,2 - 3,4 - 5,6 - 7,8 - 9,10 hence 5 in 5 out! This confused me at first as well! I just finnished reading on the forum that the firepod has no software mixer so I dont know how you control yours or even see them working! 1 thing to note as well, is that you need to pick output drivers for just 1 set(usually 9,10) from options/audio/drivers/output drivers. I had all selected before and was getting noise from the other outputs everytime I opened a project! Hope that helps abit!

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    drunkmunky
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 13:25:49 (permalink)
    Ok, well I think I kinda figured **** out, but my only issue now is that the mic i'm using is not giving me a signal through the firepod.... It's a cheap little computer mic and it works going into the SB i/o hub, but nothing with the firepod. Maybe a mic incompatibility? I know its getting a signal, because it clips when I unplug it... I'll try another mic later!

Anyway, now all my inputs are coming up
    "left presonus asio driver 12 left"
    "right presonus asio driver 12 left"
    "stereo presonus asio driver 12 left" etc etc.....

Ok, why am I only getting a signal through the left side???????????????????????

Even on the stereo "bus" or whatever you call it (IM TOTAL NEWBIE)

Thanks guys....
    drunkmunky
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/11/29 13:37:16 (permalink)
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now I just have some huge driver conflict between My SB Audigy 4 pro card and the Presonus firepod!!!!!!!!!

I can record (only on the left side)

And playback is Impossible!!!

What the hell is going on?

Somebody please help me. I've spent so much money in the last couple weeks LOL!!!!!!!!
    jamsession39
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/12/11 19:08:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: drunkmunky

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now I just have some huge driver conflict between My SB Audigy 4 pro card and the Presonus firepod!!!!!!!!!

I can record (only on the left side)

And playback is Impossible!!!

What the hell is going on?

Somebody please help me. I've spent so much money in the last couple weeks LOL!!!!!!!!

This is sometimes impossible to avoid. Sometimes two different souncards will not play nice together, no matter what you do. I was never able to get an Inca88 soundcard to work with my Edirol UR-80.

I'm crossing my fingers, to be honest with you. I just got a Firepod but I haven't tried it simultaneously with my Edirol UR-80, yet. If they don't play well togehter, I'll be selling the UR-80 to my buddy, which would be a bummer since I still have uses for it.

I'm noticing a few inconsistencies here and there but this might be resolved when I upgrade to 2.14 drivers. I have to use WDM on a track that I didn't have to on the UR-80. Using ASIO I get crackles on this one particular track, and increasing the latency doesn't help.

Why do you want to continue using the Audigy anyway? Soundfonts?
    post edited by jamsession39 - 2005/12/11 19:09:47
    PeteNova
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/12/11 22:13:58 (permalink)
    Use the ASIO drivers and make sure that the Firepod drivers are highlighted under Options-Audio. ASIO drivers only allow you to use one soundcard so if the Firepod drivers are highlighted your Audigy soundcard won't function but you won't miss it, the Firepod sounds great.
    The drivers are labled weird-1L is input #1 and 1R is input #2.
    The new drivers didn't work for me-I got a lot of pops and noise. I rolled back to the original drivers and everything was fine. Presonus knows that there's a compatability problem with the new drivers and Sonar. So far whatever the bug is hasn't been fixed so I'll just stick with the old drivers.
    stevenjcasey
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/12/12 00:09:55 (permalink)
    I was having bad cracks and pops with my Firepod and finally someone at Presonus emailed me a beta set of firmware updates. Fixed it perfectly and no problems since. He wrote that these would be posted soon on the website, and this was about a month ago, so you should make sure you have the latest from them.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/12/12 00:37:51 (permalink)
    You have to uncheck all the SB ins/outs, then restart the computer. Then you can choose the PreSonus i/o. Until the SB is removed completely from the driver page, you can't really change to the Pod.

And the numbering is funny - I've heard different users claim different i/o's. But all 8 analog i/o should be there. Mine sez left 1&2, and continues counting as such. Makes it hard to figure out left and right - I actually have to try each for mono. Stereo works just fine. Other than that anomaly, the Pod works great. It is worth slogging through.
    post edited by AT - 2005/12/12 00:44:32

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    drunkmunky
    RE: Presonus Firepod VS. Sonar Home studio 4 XL 2005/12/12 03:23:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help guys! I got this stuff figured out now :)

I only got the Audigy SB card because It had firewire and midi ports that I thought I would need for my keyboard and to hook up the firepod. I am a rookie and did not realize that the firepod already had midi ports and you can get firewire pci cards... Yes, rookie ha ha!!!

It's all good now, but now I just get breaks in audio when I try running the same setup on my satellite notebook.....? It acts like it records, but when I go to play it back there are "breaks" in the audio.. I think those are also known as "drop outs" am I correct?

Thanks for the help guys :)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1