Helpful ReplyPresonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kapelle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/22 22:04:15 (permalink)
bartveld
Could we expand this thread to include all possible replacements? I've seen only one mention of Cubase, would like to hear more about it, especially as I, too, work a lot with midi in piano roll and staff view.
So far I've come up with Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Mixcraft, Ableton. There's probably more. Anyone feel like making a beautiful chart with comparisons on hundreds of functions?

YES!! I was just going to post that I'm reading a bunch of bellyaching here (me included) but few solutions. So far I have narrowed my replacements down to Studio One and Mixcraft. I thought about Cubase but saw the word "dongle" and had a panic attack. I really like the Mixcraft guy's post about them being a software focused company and the fact he was a long-time Cakewalk employee. I'm going to download Mixcraft and Studio One tonight and test them both out.

The urgency for me is I don't want to miss out on Black Friday specials. BTW I use Reaper for making stems - I tediously bounce individual tracks from Sonar, drag into Reaper, make clicks/guides and boy does that thing do a great job of exporting. However I wouldn't be caught dead using it for actual composing or mixing - super clunky midi editing IMO. Mixcraft looks to have a terrific stem exporting feature according to a video on their youtube channel - they have lots of tutorial videos (forum won't let me post their youtube link, just search for mixcraft in youtube and you'll find the channel.)
Dreamstation
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/22 22:10:33 (permalink)
aconte22
As a former VP of Sales at Cakewalk for 12 years, and now VP of Sales at Acoustica for the last five years, we would greatly appreciate your kind consideration to take a serious look at Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. It will surprise many of you. It is maturing like a fine wine with each new version. At $179 (on sale this weekend for $99), now includes side-chaining, VST3 and MP4 support, 64-bit and 32-bit, live recording to performance panel grids and professional video editing. Includes integrated Melodyne Essentials directly into the sound edit tab, and one-click simultaneous publishing to soundcloud, mixcloud, youtube, FB, tumblr and your other music and video sites. Check it out at  the Acoustica website.

Please allow me to point out the intangibles. We are a small software-only company focusing on the PC (like the early days of Cakewalk). We have a CTO who came from Sonic Foundry and worked on Acid and Vegas, which is why you will see that the Loop Library asset management and video editing are far superior than any other DAW on the market today. Mixcraft 8 is for real!

Hi - I'm DAW curious now and shopping around.  I downloaded the Studio One DAW and was disappointed to find that I couldn't midi-slave it to my hardware sequencer (MPC4000).  Can Mixcraft be set like this to follow midi machine code?  This is the deal-breaker for me looking for a replacement.  Seems I've been taking Sonar for granted for 20+ years.
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/22 22:17:20 (permalink)
kapelle
bartveld
Could we expand this thread to include all possible replacements? I've seen only one mention of Cubase, would like to hear more about it, especially as I, too, work a lot with midi in piano roll and staff view.
So far I've come up with Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Mixcraft, Ableton. There's probably more. Anyone feel like making a beautiful chart with comparisons on hundreds of functions?

YES!! I was just going to post that I'm reading a bunch of bellyaching here (me included) but few solutions. So far I have narrowed my replacements down to Studio One and Mixcraft. I thought about Cubase but saw the word "dongle" and had a panic attack. I really like the Mixcraft guy's post about them being a software focused company and the fact he was a long-time Cakewalk employee. I'm going to download Mixcraft and Studio One tonight and test them both out.

The urgency for me is I don't want to miss out on Black Friday specials. BTW I use Reaper for making stems - I tediously bounce individual tracks from Sonar, drag into Reaper, make clicks/guides and boy does that thing do a great job of exporting. However I wouldn't be caught dead using it for actual composing or mixing - super clunky midi editing IMO. Mixcraft looks to have a terrific stem exporting feature according to a video on their youtube channel - they have lots of tutorial videos:

One thing about which I'm very curious: why has no one mentioned Bitwig? It seems to getting a ton of press and yet no one's said anything about it either "Yea" or "Nay". Why is this? Has anyone even tried it out?

Just wondering.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

kapelle
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/22 22:32:48 (permalink)
outland144k
O[font="'book antiqua', palatino; color: #003366"]ne thing about which I'm very curious: why has no one mentioned Bitwig? It seems to getting a ton of press and yet no one's said anything about it either "Yea" or "Nay". Why is this? Has anyone even tried it out?

Just wondering.

Do a google search for "best alternative to sonar" and you'll see an article "20 best alternatives to Sonar as of 2017 - Slant" - they say it's buggy. Plus it's expensive. At first glance it appeared to me to have that clip thing going on like Ableton which I don't like - another website said former Ableton developers are behind bitwig.
bartveld
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/23 10:27:26 (permalink)
I hear no one talking about Pro Tools. Any thoughts on that?
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/23 10:29:28 (permalink)
NO!

bartveld
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/23 10:57:09 (permalink)
soens
NO!

That's very outspoken. However, treat me like a noob and tell me more.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/26 01:11:13 (permalink)
PT|F will install but won't run on my system without ASIO4ALL and disabling all my interfaces which renders it useless.

You need to have AVID approved interfaces with specific buffer size requirements.

I've also seen little to no mention of MOTU's Digital Performer.
bartveld
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/29 10:26:22 (permalink)
Well, I've jumped ship with a nice crossgrade offer from Cubase. I'm glad to know I can slowly learn its ins and outs as Sonar will probably be functional for at least a year. However, if Sonar gets a miraculous rebirth I'll certainly consider switching sides again.
Sacalait
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/11/29 14:29:13 (permalink)
I bought the crossgrade to Studio One yesterday from Sweetwater.  $149.  I installed it last night.  There's a HUGE amount of content.  I'll be studying it for the next month or so.  I suspect it will become my new DAW next year. 

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
celopadua
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Presonus May Offer a Special "Crossgrade" to Cakewalk Users 2017/12/02 01:41:46 (permalink)
Sacalait
I bought the crossgrade to Studio One yesterday from Sweetwater.  $149.  I installed it last night.  There's a HUGE amount of content.  I'll be studying it for the next month or so.  I suspect it will become my new DAW next year. 

How?
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1