Price of V-Studio 700

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
trock8500
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/04 20:28:33 (permalink)
yep cj i am with you, 24 min, and here is ANOTHER reason why

i have 2 dell monitors, 24 inch, on the one is my console screen and i get 24 tracks in that screen with them made smaller SO if i have a control surface with 24 hardware track, it MATCHES my 24 tracks on screen in sonar!!

even with just one 24 inch screen you can do this.

and its a beautiful thing

24 track min, with the abilti to connect 2 together! thats the ticket

the N12 from yamaha i can gang 3 together, with the M24 and work flawlesly in cubase.

so do the 24 track one guys, we are not gettin down on you, you will knock it out of the park AGAINST PT with a 24 track offering

www.timmallick.com
lavoll
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/04 20:40:46 (permalink)
hm, since i will most likely move into a new studio in or around january, i take this as a sign from the gods in regards to what control surface to go for :)
crash_3210
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 916
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 03:41:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lemonboy

ORIGINAL: Silence Dogood

the figure of approx $4000 has been stated

And I need this why?

. . . of course you NEED it ! ! !

but sounds like you and me both don't have $4000 worth of need for it

Nicely Said.... Totally Agree
hv
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 03:43:56 (permalink)
It looks like a nice unit. Very similar in concept to the Tascam FW-1884 which I use. Doubles as a control surface and audio interface. But if it's 4k, would be tripple the price. I assume the Sonar integration would be better, though. With 192k converterters. And that big stick... that for Flight Sim?

Howard
post edited by hv - 2008/10/05 03:47:22
LabDog
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 04:35:37 (permalink)
Interesting comparison, but you're kinda short-changing yourself with the Tascam... i mean sure you'd get a decent control surface/audio interface but you wouldn't get one with all the deep integration they (Cakewalk) are talking here.

You'd also be lacking a world class synth to match the built in Fantom you get with the 700

Further still you'd be dumbing down:

24/192 - 24/96

Meters - No Meters

LED Displays- No LED Disp

T-Bar - No T-Bar

Track locking - no track locking

2 Headphone outs - 1 Headphone out

And this may need correcting, but there appears to be no Mackie Control mode with the 1884...

Just a few things to keep in mind while comparing
post edited by LabDog - 2008/10/05 04:49:20

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 05:06:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: trock8500

Hey Brandon

Maybe i am coming off a little harsh. i was sort of looking for a reasong to come all the way back to sonar and had helpd out hope that roland and their VS series would have easily paved the way for a 24 track, yes locking like you say, solution

listen bank jumping with only 8 faders is horrible when you have 40+ tracks like you say, i have had the MCU pro, then 2 xt's etc and when i had the MCU i hated how it worked with alot of tracks, bank jumping ALL the time, losing track of where you where, its a nightmare. this will nto be a whole lot different even with track locking (nice feature by the way)

i truly dig roland boards and i truly like sonar (7 PE here) and i think this board is a really nice start. if you do come out with extenders i would be tempted, 2 xt's with 8 tracks each and the mute, select, solo, pan and screen would work for me, although i don't thin you can do that can you since there is no way to plug them into this box and i guarantee you that you don't want 3 USB deviecs with everything else people have USB, its going to create irq conflicts etc

but anyway, lets put it this way, watching your full video, ASIDE from the lack of faders its a kick ass box.

but you will never convince me that bank jumpin with 8 faders on large projects is better than bank jumping with 24 faders

Fair enough - and I agree bank jumping with 24 faders would certainly be nice. VS-1000? hehehe. Thanks for your thoughtful comments and I do truly appreciate you taking the time to express them in the fashion in which you do. My sincere hope is that we give you just the reason you are looking for to come all the way back to SONAR. In the meantime, your constructive suggestions are most certainly appreciated.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
Jon Con
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 06:19:04 (permalink)
The Tbar can destroy Alderon

The only thing I can really think of as a direct competitor is the Digi 003 bundles which come with Pro Tools LE which comes in at around a similar price, to me the VS700 has alot more going for it (seeing how sonar has no track restrictions and has alot more bundled with it).

However the thing thats stopping me buying one is that I don't really need the I/O box or the synth in all honesty, the control surface is the only thing I'd really be interested in purchasing, I've got a Focusrite Saffire 26 and I'm really happy with that and don't really see a real need to purchase a new set of converters right now. If in the future the console was sold as a stand alone product linking directly to USB and with the option of fader expansion (or anything else), I would seriously consider getting one.

Please don't get me wrong, this looks like an awesome product and I'm sure it will appeal to alot of people, at the moment its not quite for me but please keep the hardware coming

Jon Con
SFSonarBoy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 10:52:10 (permalink)
I got to see the V-Studio and part of Brandon's (excellent) demo at AES on Friday morning - very cool and the controller piece looks well made and, well, impressive. I'm sure development was expensive and the hardware itself costs a pretty penny to manufacture.

I do have a concern that the rumored ballpark price of the package (4K, which is the controller, audio interface/synth, and Sonar8PE) might be too high. I think some folks will be wary of that kind of investment for hardware dedicated to a specific piece of software. Yes our ProTools brothers and sisters are used to this, but the market has also seen many similar types of products - even some very good ones - fail for market, business, or other reasons. I'm thinking Ensoniq Paris as an example (cool and innovative dedicated hardware that didn't receive the software updates/support most expected). I'm not equating Cakewalk/Roland with that particular business "mess" by any means, but it's a great example of how dedicated hardware can loose it's value very quickly.

I hope this is not the case, and that the V-Studio turns out to be a huge success for Cakewalk and Roland as they've clearly put a lot of though into making a very friendly and extremely powerful package. I'd love one. I just hope the price point isn't too high for the target audience.

Steve E.
trock8500
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 11:06:59 (permalink)
You had me at VS-1000 :)

at least cakewalk and Roland are really in tune with their customers and putting stuff out with real interaction and feedback from us. i appreciate that and even if this doesn't quite do it for me, i can see how much you guys listened and put forth the work. i think this is going to sell well. i hope it does and paves the way for a more advanced setup, then thats where iw ould jump in

having worked with Cubase a ton lately and the N12 and M24 with it i have to say i would move back for a vs1000 outlined above and because i have this ability to interact with you guys this way

on the cubase forum this would have gone

ME: You know this is nice but i have a coupld of ideas
CUBASE: Locked

www.timmallick.com
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/05 12:09:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I think we need to make a 24 to 48 lockable fader official request.. There's allot of us that want it in here. Space is relative to everyone's work space.
Cj
edit. changing banks is a hasle from 1 to 8 from 8-16 and so on. It would be better just to have all 24 to 36 faders, instead of changing the groups and then trying to figure out what track controls what by looking in the meter field
Cj

Yes, I totally agree with this. I was originally thinking of getting the Mackie controllers, but it just seems so cumbersome as a workflow to have to toggle like that. OF course, I'm sure you get used to it with practice and could probably do it pretty quickly. It just seems to easy to scroll over with the mouse and grab a software fader.

Don't get me wrong - I have dreams of having a board in front of me as part of my DAW, but I would def. hold out for a 24-48 myself.

JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/15 12:30:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jinga8

Cadiz es "las rodillas de las abejas" in my opinion...so you get a pass...

Nope, they call Cadiz the Crimson Tide...no, sorry, that's Alabama...I mean, they call it The Silver Cup, "la Tacita de Plata"...but then, I believe that Gerry is a guiri (that's gaijin around here, and down there), so he might, or might not, think that Cádiz is the navel of the Universe (I don´t )

Anyway, and to stay on topic, I might think that the V-Studio is something that I would want if finally its price is somewhat lower than stated. As a matter of fact, I had been considering the purchase of a rack Fantom (no sampling in this one?), a new mixer, a new interface for the new DAW (wait, I haven't bought the new DAW yet ), and, of course the Sonar 8 upgrade...so this does not look all that bad...if, again, the price seems to match with what the news headlines should suggest...
post edited by JoseC. - 2008/10/15 12:33:31
Peter Morrison
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/15 12:39:13 (permalink)
And I need this why?

Because it's there and that girl is now a granny

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
studioaloni
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/15 19:22:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

Fair enough - and I agree bank jumping with 24 faders would certainly be nice. VS-1000? hehehe.

Argh... forgive me for stepping into your conversation here, but I must point something out.

The 700 indeed looks like a pretty solid package, but the price - IMO - is steep. Consider what you just said - the fictional VS-1000 will probably cost more, but put that up against what the competition is offering. You can buy a Yamaha O1V96 (which they just updated with AWESOME modular effects for free, BTW) for less than 2,400$. 2,400!! For a pro-level 40-channel digital mixer with built in everything, 17 motorized faders, 12 onboard preamps, a 16ch i/o firewire interface, the works... and it doubles as a control surface with (*ahem*) cubase like a silky glove. That's a pretty sweet deal, with the cost of the software attached it still costs less than the 700, even tho - of course - steiny don't spoil their customers with plugins galore like you guys do. It's a though choice between the two, and if I was a new customer shopping for a complete small studio recording solution I don't know what I'd picked, given the price difference, and especially given the advantages of a fully-featured, capable and time-proven console on the other side of the scales. Yeah, I know there is also a hardware synth that comes with the 700, but I'd gladly trade that for a few more inputs on the unit, or for a lower price tag.

Now this is just a small point I wanted to make, and now comes a small rant that I need to vent. Now of course I'm not a new customer, and I already own a Yamaha digital desk in my studio. Putting the price of the 700 aside, it made me half happy and half sad that it came out... Why? Half happy because I am happy for you guys and I am glad you guys are working so well with Roland. Half sad because now I have even less hope that you guys will ever make my studio work the way it should. One little piece of code is missing from Sonar - the one that will allow it to function with my Yamaha DM1000 (and the above mentioned O1V96, we use both) like Cubase functions with them. It's not hard, after all a user had coded a plugin for the old version O1V console with no help from you guys - unfortunately it does not work with our newer boards). We have repeatedly asked for support for it, but were constantly fed with dodgy replies, and now comes Sonar 8 and as far as I can tell I still cannot properly use my mixer as a control surface... and then this new product comes out, and some things become clear, as thoughts start creeping into my mind: maybe we should switch? Maybe we should get that 700 and sell our console?.. But of course we won't. Firstly, because even the O1V96 - not to mention the DM1000 - offer so much more for a working commercial studio than those 8 channels of analog input that the 700 has to offer, but most importantly... because we shouldn't have to! So, we won't upgrade to Sonar 8. My partner at the studio is seriously convincing me of switching to Steiny for our DAW instead, and I'm thinking about it, because even tho I definitely prefer Sonar to Cubase, the prospect of having an integrated control surface is very appealing... Especially after I've tasted it with the same mixer at another studio that uses Cubase and felt how brilliant it works (just as great as that demo of yours that you did with the 700). I thought that I would forever be using your software and I hate to think that such a little thing might stop us from continuing to be your customers. It really is too bad if now this - seemingly great, although overpriced - unit means that you will no longer support people who have hardware by other manufacturers.
post edited by jay_zhead - 2008/10/15 19:25:53

- Jay -
gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/16 01:19:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I think we need to make a 24 to 48 lockable fader official request.. There's allot of us that want it in here. Space is relative to everyone's work space.
Cj
edit. changing banks is a hasle from 1 to 8 from 8-16 and so on. It would be better just to have all 24 to 36 faders, instead of changing the groups and then trying to figure out what track controls what by looking in the meter field
Cj

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those screws on the side of the 700 are there to possibly remove the side panel and expand the entire surface with additional faders. Like I can do on my ICON.
post edited by gtgarner - 2008/10/16 01:27:54
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/16 04:57:18 (permalink)
It's not that I need it. Me wants one.
ORIGINAL: Silence Dogood

the figure of approx $4000 has been stated

And I need this why?

Craig DuBuc
razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/17 16:09:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dburns

Where can I order the Cakewalk underwear?

Uh, hum. Excuse me, it's called, Cakewear...

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Core i7 SB-E MOBO
16 GB DDR3 RAM
7 TB Storage
Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
UAD-2 DSP
WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
Sound Forge 10 Pro
Introspect
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/17 22:56:15 (permalink)
I was relieved when details about this unit surfaced and heard about the potenial price. Basically it has stuff I already have and only has 8 channels of faders. What would have made me want it would have been a control surface only with at least 24 faders. I already have good preamps, D/A A/D converters and monitoring solutions. I also have other other control surfaces including a Tascam US-2400, but a control surface that was made for Sonar would rock.
Crg
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/18 04:45:13 (permalink)
Where did those prices come from? I haven't been able to find any prices listed. Sounds like a high end consumer- professional price range to me. I'm just guessing at this point but I'd have to say just from a comparable nuts and bolts point of veiw it would be considerably less.
ORIGINAL: Lemonboy

I think that's a little harsh, the figure of approx $4000 has been stated (with a $200 rebate for Sonar 8 users). It looks like it is not shipping until january (at the earliest) and i think with the current state of the World economy I'd be a little hesitant to put out a RRP at this stage!

Craig DuBuc
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/18 17:55:38 (permalink)
Craig,

the figure $4000 was said in the videos. No one knew if that was retail or wholesale, so guess of the price went from +$4000 to $2800. In another video there was the street price of 4000 listed, and that is what Sweetwater has up - $5000 but for you only $4000. I would suspect the price may drop a little more as time goes on.

My own thoughts are that this isn't meant for SONAR customers - we already have the software (and get the upgrade price back) and we probably have an audio interface. That is why the control surface is so anticipated. It is for "new" customers or those upgrading their entire system and going pro or B-rooms. No doubt the good stuff will trickle down and Brandon talked how the V700 is part of a series. More trickle down.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Crg
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/18 23:24:26 (permalink)
Hmmm, could be AT. Thanks for the info.. I can't see them cutting out such a large customer base which would be the home studio- recording group. $4000 is a little steep, but I would easily spend that much duplicating a comparable system. I know I,ve spent that much already minus the computer. I'll definitely be getting one either price tag. Toy fever is contagious.
ORIGINAL: AT

Craig,

the figure $4000 was said in the videos. No one knew if that was retail or wholesale, so guess of the price went from +$4000 to $2800. In another video there was the street price of 4000 listed, and that is what Sweetwater has up - $5000 but for you only $4000. I would suspect the price may drop a little more as time goes on.

My own thoughts are that this isn't meant for SONAR customers - we already have the software (and get the upgrade price back) and we probably have an audio interface. That is why the control surface is so anticipated. It is for "new" customers or those upgrading their entire system and going pro or B-rooms. No doubt the good stuff will trickle down and Brandon talked how the V700 is part of a series. More trickle down.

Craig DuBuc
inhouseproducer
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Price of V-Studio 700 2008/10/19 15:19:58 (permalink)
the price is a bit up there , but hopefully the quality is also.

Using Roland Is A Cakewalk!!
Grammy Mixed Free Album: Mixed By Ken Lewis, Ryan West and Ben Arrindale. Mastered by Andy Krehm http://www.datpiff.com/Baynes-Baynes-Out-Of-The-Abyss-mixtape.238606.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HArHbWf6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1