Pro Audio 9 First-Time User

Author
tosapanic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/06/08 17:53:17 (permalink)

Pro Audio 9 First-Time User

Hello All:

I'm brand new to the forum and have a load of questions, but we'll start with the one that's bugging me first. After owning PA 9 for 5 years but using other methods to record, I'm finally rededicating myself to learning
this thing. One major hangup seems to be when I try to record digital audio. I'll click on the track to set up my source as digital audio (in track view) and there's no option for digital audio listed in the window that come up. All I'm getting are references to my sound card and MIDI Instrument1, MIDI Instrument 2, etc. Yet the manual says I should have the option of digital audio to click on. My mixer is plugged into the soundcard (SoundBlaster Live) 1/8" line in, and the sound card's wave studio reflects my mixer in it's monitor level. I'll be the first to admit I'm very lo-tech when it comes to digital audio, and up to this point I've used Tascam cassette studios and the Sony Minidisc 4-track to do my recording. Any help to get me rolling would be appreciated, if someone has the time and patience for this and any future queries.

Thanks,
Jeff R.

3 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Pro Audio 9 First-Time User 2005/06/08 18:11:58 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum and CWPA9!
    I'd say that the references to your sound card (not the midi refs) are the digital audio you are looking for.

Presumably you have an analog source (microphone, for example) that is going thru some kind of mixer which is plugged into the sound card. The sound card will do the analog to digital (A/D) conversion and the digital form of the audio will be recorded to the disk via CWPA9.

If you have a digital source (you didn't mention one) then you'd need a soound card that accepts digital directly.

Good luck,
    Larry
    tosapanic
    RE: Pro Audio 9 First-Time User 2005/06/09 16:46:29 (permalink)
    I stated my question from my work computer, so it was not entirely accurate. What I'm getting when I go to source on the track view is a list of midi related options: Midi Omni, Midi Channel 1, Midi Channel 2, all the way to Midi Channel 16. NO digital audio options. I Googled this question on the net and found several past user problems with the SoundBlaster Live card and PA 9. However, their problems were cropping up with Windows XP and I have Windows 98. It was the same problem though, getting their soundcard and PA 9 to work together for digital audio as opposed to MIDI. I'm using my Sony Minidisc 4-track as my mixer, which is plugged into the line in of the soundcard. Is this a matter of configuring the soundcard or Windows mixer? I'm just trying to create music, which is the same reason I never read the technical manuals of my keyboards either. I just want to plug in and go!

Jeff R.
    tosapanic
    RE: Pro Audio 9 First-Time User 2005/06/10 09:55:25 (permalink)
    Okay, I've finally achieved digital audio. Just setting up my sound card mixer and windows mixer to record did the trick. If I have any more questions along the way I'll be sure to ask.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1