Pro Channel Clip Light Hold

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2014/04/19 07:44:38 (permalink)

Pro Channel Clip Light Hold

Is there a reason we can't hold the clip on the PC? Or have it show up in the wave Preview as a clip of a different color? It would be nice to not have to watch for this problem.

My use case is to record an entire concert in a single project and then dial in fx and mix like I'm the guy on the sound-board. This means gain adjustments etc along the way. For this reason, an apply gain setting in the Normalize Track window would be nice. I often try to calculate the amount of gain I want to fix into a track segment and then I normalize to get there. Since there is no automating gain, I can't have the mixer 'remember' the gain settings on the channels for the various songs.

Anyway, because songs vary a lot in attack on stage, mixing this way means that gain staging varies from song to song. Watching for clips is important. I feel I shouldn't have to rely on me seeing the light flicker red. In an 'on-stage' situation, it makes sense, because if it's clipped and past, the moment's gone anyway... who cares. :-) But in a 'mix it later' situation, you can totally prevent the clip.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.

14 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 11:10:59 (permalink)
    Any opinions on this?

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 11:24:37 (permalink)
    Hi, Geoff.

If I understand you correctly, I can see that this would be helpful.  Perhaps if it left a marker like the peak meters do.

I have a screenset that has just the ProChannel clip meter showing at the top , over the track view.  I still have to watch it, but it makes the job easier.  Having a marker show where it went in the red would be nice, even though I don't have to work the same way that you do.

Hope you had a good Easter break.

Jonathan.

Sonar Platinum
    gswitz
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 18:21:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jonathan. Yep, it was a nice break. We had some health issues in my family, but the weather is beautiful.

:-) Thanks for chiming in!!

Best,

G

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 19:09:43 (permalink)
    ProChannel peak hold would be particularly appropriate because if you're not in console view, you won't have an overview of all the PCs. The only downside I can think of is having to reset whenever it goes over. I'd be fine with one button for "hold PC peaks" and another for "reset PC peaks."

Feature request time?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    gswitz
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 19:24:52 (permalink)
    Craig, you could have it work more or less the same as it works for clip hold. Click the red light to reset it. It auto resets when you start playback. I think it would be particularly cool to have it in a kind of wave form preview so you could double back to the spots where it clipped (just like we have clips in Wave form preview). IDK if it'd be complicated to show a clip indicator that was coming from another track that cumulated on the bus or if it would be possible to mark the track itself.

These things are above my pay-grade. :-)

Thanks for chiming in, Craig. It's nice to feel heard.

OscarLaun
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 19:43:37 (permalink)
    For a lot of bit of money (also comes with RX3 for even more of a lot of bit of money), Izotope Insight can automatically write to an automation track every time the level goes over a selected peak target.

Sonar Platinum Producer x64, X3 Producer, 8.5 Producer
    Win10 Home Premium 64bit, 
    ASUS Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 
    12GB Ram, 
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT w/ 40" and 32" displays
    MOTU 24I/O
    http://www.soundclick.com/balsaracers
    http://www.cdbaby.com/balsaracers
    gswitz
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 20:31:05 (permalink)
    Thanks, Oscar, but I don't think it would work even if I wanted to spend the money. In this case, the peak indicator I'm thinking of is monitoring the peaks on each plugin in the Pro Channel and marking it as clipped if any of them go over. I don't think there's a way to put Izotope on the job.

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 22:02:54 (permalink)
    gswitz

Thanks for chiming in, Craig. It's nice to feel heard.

Well, I think it's a good suggestion that would have benefits beyond your particular situation. I hope you submit a feature a request. Tell 'em I sent you

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 22:47:33 (permalink)
    In my experience the ProChannel clip light cannot be trusted in some cases. I've noticed that every now and then it will come on even when the channel is clearly not clipping. What I mean is, none of the modules in the ProChannel are clipping (as indicated by their little clipping lights) all the way to the last one, yet the main ProChannel clip light glows red. I have a project right now where it's doing this and I managed to capture a screen grab of the exact moment it happens. Note how the clip light on the console emulator at the end of the ProChannel is a healthy green, yet the main clip indicator is glowing red. The console emulator controls are set to neutral position, nothing that would cause clipping anyway. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    keyzs
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/22 23:06:40 (permalink)
    Hi sharke, thank you for having this screenshot.  

(apologies) not to hijack this thread; a couple of months back i mentioned that the FX Chain LED was not lighted... this is clear now.

also, i did noticed that at times when there is more than one effect in the FX Chain and with reference to sharke's screenshot, it makes it very difficult to tell which effect is clipping unless we examine the plugs themselves one at a time.  

the only way, i can get an exact clip read out is to place a simple VU Meter before and after the effect plug.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/23 00:15:21 (permalink)
    Yeah the FX Chain clip light has never worked. 

In this case, the only plugin in the FX Chain is Ohmicide, and it's output level is set very low. If it were clipping then it would certainly be the case that the Console Emulator light after it would be red. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    jb101
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/23 03:07:54 (permalink)
    Not necessarily. It is possible that a plug can overload at the input sage, but not at the output stage. If,as you say, the output level is set very low, then the plug can overload without it certainly being the case that the next module would light red.

I frequently get one module in a chain lighting without subsequent ones lighting up.

In your screen set, are there any modules before the EQ?

If not, try lowering the input of Ohmcide. Or the input on the FX Chain module.

If that doesn't work, try lowering the track input gain. If it is a hot signal then it's possible that the 3.1 dB gain in the EQ Hi Mid is clipping the FX Chain, but not the CE if the signal is being lowered in Ohmcide.

Sonar Platinum
    jb101
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/23 03:08:57 (permalink)
    @Geoff - a feature request is a good idea. I may put one in as well.

Sonar Platinum
    gswitz
    Re: Pro Channel Clip Light Hold 2014/04/23 08:07:24 (permalink)
    I submitted the request. Thanks everyone!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1