Pro Tools vs Sonar?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sethbrand_12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/10/25 02:25:05 (permalink)

Pro Tools vs Sonar?

I have a simple question. I currently use pro tools mpowered and am thinking of switching to sonar. Not b/c i don't like pro tools, i love it, but because of my computer and my needs, i think for the money and price range sonar may be better. My question is simply this:

Is sonar 6 producer edition($499) better than pro tools m-powered 7($249)? Any opinions or comparisons would be great?

Thanks,
Seth

49 Replies Related Threads

HansDampf
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 02:56:55 (permalink)
    It really depends on what you want do with it and your main workflow-needs. You can do almost everything you want in creating and recording music with SONAR, but like every of its competitors it got its strengths and weaknesses. It is cumbersome and may end in flame-wars to list them for every sequencer-software outthere. Tell us what you wanna do with it, your equipment and which features you expect or are must-haves for you. The SONAR 6-demo will be out soon, so you may better wait a few weeks. Personally I recommend to walk through the online-tutorials under help.
    post edited by HansDampf - 2006/10/25 03:16:44
    The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 04:21:13 (permalink)
    sethbrand - i really don't mean to be a s***, but this question has been answered/debated/thrashed about so many times on this forum it's not funny.

do a search and you'll find more protools vs. sonar threads than you could read through in a day.

t.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    HansDampf
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 04:30:59 (permalink)
    @The Scar:
    While it is correct, that searching the forum may (!) help answering many of his questions, it is still not quite sure what he really needs to know. To me it is obvious that "is SONAR better than ProTools M-Powered?" is cleary the wrong question.
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 04:42:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: HansDampf

@The Scar:
    While it is correct, that searching the forum may (!) help answering many of his questions, it is still not quite sure what he really needs to know. To me it is obvious that "is SONAR better than ProTools M-Powered?" is cleary the wrong question.

Hans,

You're dead right, but I'll just add that I don't think you'll find too many people out there who would say that Pro Tools 7 measures up to Sonar 5, let alone Sonar 6.

This link is quite interesting:
    http://www.garagespin.com/archives/sonar-vs-cubase-vs-pro-tools-vs-acid.html

Best,
    Geoff
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 07:24:41 (permalink)
    " My question is simply this:

Is sonar 6 producer edition($499) better than pro tools m-powered 7($249)? Any opinions or comparisons would be great? "

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shootout/shootout_summary.htm
    Digital Music Doctor - Pro Audio video training for
    DigiDesign Pro Tools,
    Adobe Audition (Cool Edit),
    Steinberg Cubase,
    Cakewalk Sonar,
    Sony Acid,
    Sony Sound Forge,
    Apple GarageBand.

I , like the scar, am tired of these type of 'questions'

I have some questions:
    Is PT working for you?
    Do you own PT ? Or just use it somewhere?
    If not, is there a demo you can try out ?
    (BTW, Sonar 5 demo is still available, I think. )
    Did you try the Sonar demo to see if it fits your needs?

If it's merely a price thing - you will not find a better featured Pro
    digital audio workstation application for the price, with support from both Cakewalk
    technical and Peer-to-peer ( this forum )

So, my answer is YES !

post edited by stratcat33511 - 2006/10/25 07:43:30
    javahut
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 07:48:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat33511
    I , like the scar, am tired of these type of 'questions'

If you're tired of them, why did you open the thread?

I'd say as new features and versions come out of all the audio sequencing softwares, it's perfectly relevant for these types of questions to come up.
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 07:50:33 (permalink)
    Get Sonar 6.
    HansDampf
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 07:55:20 (permalink)
    That DigitalMusicDoctor-shootout is good for exploring if a software has this or that feature at all. I simply cannot follow the ratings. One example: Under "recording" SONAR 5 and PT reached 5 points in every aspect. But SONAR still has no "Multiple takes management" (like I would call it). So you are not able to edit (let`s say) take 1 of track 1-8 at once easily. AFAIK PT is able to do that. That is almost a show-stopper for editing a band-recording. So at least in the field "multiple takes" SONAR should be at least 1 point behind PT or the differences should be mentioned if other SONAR-features outweigh that in the writers opinion.
    I think it is still a reasonable question to ask what is better for his purposes. But he has to tell us his purposes and other circumstances. That shootout is only a little bit more useful then the question it tries to answer.
    post edited by HansDampf - 2006/10/25 08:12:01
    The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 09:58:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: javahut
    I'd say as new features and versions come out of all the audio sequencing softwares, it's perfectly relevant for these types of questions to come up.

I agree. I just reckon there needs to be a separate forum for them... possibly called "DAW wars: come here to debate the pros and cons of different softwares".

T.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 10:26:11 (permalink)
    I was a devout Sonar user since it was introduced. Last year, I made Pro Tools my primary tracking and mix platform. The main reason: To be compatible with a larger market that either uses Pro Tools exclusively or has it in their facility. Pro Tools has improved my workflow as far as mixing and also editing. It has a much better integration with my Mackie Control. The automation is much more flexible in my opinion. On the flip side, midi in Pro Tools is down right horrible. If you like softsynths, go with Sonar. I will continue to use Sonar for all my midi production and track into Pro Tools from there. The fact that both programs sync well with midi time code makes this work quite well.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 10:40:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: themidiroom

On the flip side, midi in Pro Tools is down right horrible. If you like softsynths, go with Sonar.

IMO, midi editing isn't all that great in Sonar, in fact I think it could use alot of work. As for the rest of what you are saying, you have a studio, I'm thinking this guy is a home user, so the (hardware) mixer control, and assoitation with other studios I doubt is a concern to the poster. But, I do like sonar, just for home use, and mixing down audio, and live recording. As for midi, I use another ap. I'm not knocking your reply at all, I just think it will be funny if thos thread ends with, "just get Pro Tools HD Accel for 12 grand", when this guy is just doing simple home editing / composing.
    themidiroom
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 11:42:57 (permalink)
    Ogis,

Points well taken. What people need to take into consideration is the fact that whatever software or hardware you choose, it has to work for you. For me and others that have clients, I have to choose solutions that work for them and me. Sonar met all of my needs until quite recently. There are other programs out there that run circles around Sonar on the midi side, but the poster is comparing between Sonar and Pro Tools. No one application works perfectly for everything. I am inclined to think Cakewalk products were better when they only did midi but like any company, they have to change with the times and offer a robust product that people will buy.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    djjd5000
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 11:50:44 (permalink)

I will continue to use Sonar for all my midi production and track into Pro Tools from there. The fact that both programs sync well with midi time code makes this work quite well.

I hope I am not hijaking the thread, but I was excited to learn that you have had success using both software packages. I am a Sonar user but I am collaborating with a pro tools user. The plan was for us to be able to record tracks in either program, dump them as individual .wav files to portable storage, and swap between the two for collaboration. Do you have any "gotchas" or advice for someone in my shoes?

Thanks "themidiroom".

]d
    StormAngel
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 12:00:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sethbrand_12

I have a simple question. I currently use pro tools mpowered and am thinking of switching to sonar. Not b/c i don't like pro tools, i love it, but because of my computer and my needs, i think for the money and price range sonar may be better. My question is simply this:

Is sonar 6 producer edition($499) better than pro tools m-powered 7($249)? Any opinions or comparisons would be great?

Thanks,
    Seth

Just be sure that whatever you decide, understand that "if" you should choose to go with Sonar, you will need to buy a new audio converter becuase I'm pretty sure it remains that Pro Tools does not support Cakewalk software or interface with it.

I'm not going into all the details because you can find plenty of threads around here on Sonar vs Pro Tools - the bottom line is the hardware. Pro Tools is hardware driven and Cakewalk is software driven. Good luck!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 12:23:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: StormAngel

Thanks,
    Seth

Just be sure that whatever you decide, understand that "if" you should choose to go with Sonar, you will need to buy a new audio converter becuase I'm pretty sure it remains that Pro Tools does not support Cakewalk software or interface with it.

I'm not going into all the details because you can find plenty of threads around here on Sonar vs Pro Tools - the bottom line is the hardware. Pro Tools is hardware driven and Cakewalk is software driven. Good luck!

Actually SONAR should work just fine with the M-Audio interfaces (i.e. those used in M-powered).

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 12:56:27 (permalink)
    I believe from what I have read, that the PT LE that comes with that box does not support PDC. So if you plan to use any plugins that have latency, be ready to figure out how to compensate for it.

Thanks,
    Seth

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 13:12:41 (permalink)

A full blown Pro Tools HD system is hardware driven - and also very expensive. Pro Tools in a Box (or MBox) is software, or software with sponsorship, like the new Sonar / Edirol deal.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    themidiroom
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 13:14:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: djjd5000

The plan was for us to be able to record tracks in either program, dump them as individual .wav files to portable storage, and swap between the two for collaboration. Do you have any "gotchas" or advice for someone in my shoes?

Thanks "themidiroom".

]d

djjd5000,

Your idea should work just fine. A few things to watch for: Make sure all the wav files start at the beginning of the song and consolidate any clips/regions so you have one solid block of audio and you can be sure all the tracks line up.
    Also, you may need to enforce PC compatibility if Pro Tools is running on a Mac. I'm not 100% sure of this however. Avoid using stereo tracks. Pro Tools has a funky way of dealing with them.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Spyda KB
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 13:15:07 (permalink)

I will continue to use Sonar for all my midi production and track into Pro Tools from there. The fact that both programs sync well with midi time code makes this work quite well.

I hope I am not hijaking the thread, but I was excited to learn that you have had success using both software packages. I am a Sonar user but I am collaborating with a pro tools user. The plan was for us to be able to record tracks in either program, dump them as individual .wav files to portable storage, and swap between the two for collaboration. Do you have any "gotchas" or advice for someone in my shoes?

Thanks "themidiroom".

]d

I'm not "themidiroom", but until recently (I am now using PT LE also) I had done this all of the time with the bigger commercial studios in the States and studios in Jamaica that use PT. I would always export my Sonar audio tracks and had them imported into PT. I would usually transfer the tracks on CD/DVD just for the sake of time because of MAc/PC compatiblities. You can use any portable solution just as long as the Mac/PC can read whichever OSes formatted drive.

I do agree with themidiroom in saying the MIDI functions in PT LE 7.1 is still horrible compared to Sonar. Maybe I have to deprogram myself because I have been using Sonar for so long....but the main problem with PT LE for windows is it doesn't seem to follow some of the common functions of most windows apps (but that could be just me)...and I haven't used a mac full time in years.

- KB

Edit: I actually had to correct myself regarding the windows function statements.
    post edited by Spyda KB - 2006/10/27 02:16:26

Citizen K Productions
    http://www.citizenkpro.com

"I ain't got time to bleed...!!!"
    themidiroom
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 13:27:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spyda KB
    ...but the main problem with PT LE for windows is it never follows the common functions of windows (like Ctrl-A to select all, or Ctrl-C to copy)...and I haven't used a mac full timein years.

- KB

I was under the impression the Ctrl stuff works just like all other Windows apps. You might want to check and see if there is a preference related to that. I haven't used Pro Tools LE in Windows very much.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    sethbrand_12
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 14:12:28 (permalink)
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of the awesome information. I did not mean to start a debate or war...I have seen questions like this as well and they are everywhere...but when i posted my original reply i was in a hurry and forgot to explain everything i probably should have. Right now, i just have a home recording pro tools mpowered set up. I do record full bands and mix for them. I also use midi, but not nearly as much as just recording audio. I want to be able to record full bands, edit, mix, etc. With pro tools, i can do all this just fine, but it doesn't run too smooth on my computer and also i don't like the hardware limitations with pro tools. I was thinking of buying sonar 6 producer edition and then maybe the tascam 1884 to run everything, and use it as a control surface? I mainly wanted to get you guys opinion on what is better for recording, mixing, and editing full bands, solo artists, etc. In other words, if i have a session next week recording a 4 piece rock band, what software would be better to have available too me? I know pro tools hd is obviously world class and ideal, but that is too pricey for me right now. Im comparing pro tools mpowered with sonar 6 producer edition? Can I edit in sonar just as good or better as in pro tools. I also noticed that sonar 6 now has audio snap, which is wonderful and better the pt mpowered beat detective le?
    seth
    themidiroom
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 14:27:58 (permalink)
    Its really not much of a debate. You have two different applications that have somewhat of their own niche. You also have a flagship product (Sonar) versus a scaled down lite product (Pro Tools LE). You also have different users that have different needs working on different computer platforms. Some people in this forum will tell you flat out not to buy this or that or tell you how you wasted your money. What works for one, doesn't work for others. Objectivity is a good thing.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Spyda KB
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 14:33:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xackley

I believe from what I have read, that the PT LE that comes with that box does not support PDC. So if you plan to use any plugins that have latency, be ready to figure out how to compensate for it.

There was a big debate whether that was true or not that at the DUC...some might say, "that dem der are fighting words...."

- KB
    post edited by Spyda KB - 2006/10/25 14:49:54

Citizen K Productions

djjd5000
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 15:07:10 (permalink)

djjd5000,

Your idea should work just fine. A few things to watch for: Make sure all the wav files start at the beginning of the song and consolidate any clips/regions so you have one solid block of audio and you can be sure all the tracks line up.
    Also, you may need to enforce PC compatibility if Pro Tools is running on a Mac. I'm not 100% sure of this however. Avoid using stereo tracks. Pro Tools has a funky way of dealing with them.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks much! Could you please expand a bit regarding this quote: "you may need to enforce PC compatibility if Pro Tools is running on a Mac." His version of protools in indeed running on a Mac... What do you mean by enforce PC compatbility?

Also, thanks for the info about stereo tracks! Who knows how much time you might have just saved me!! We did some recording in pro tools earlier this week and I had him save both a mono and a stereo version of the track...so now I know to only use the mono versions . THANKS MUCH for that tip.

One more question: you said "Make sure all the wav files start at the beginning of the song and consolidate any clips/regions so you have one solid block of audio and you can be sure all the tracks line up." How would I go about doing that? If I have a track of audio that is composed of a variety of loops or clips, are you saying I need to do something special before I save that track as a .wav file?

]d
    themidiroom
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 15:55:08 (permalink)

Thanks much! Could you please expand a bit regarding this quote: "you may need to enforce PC compatibility if Pro Tools is running on a Mac." His version of protools in indeed running on a Mac... What do you mean by enforce PC compatbility?

That is an option you can choose when you create a new Pro Tools session. I'm thinking you may not have to choose this option, but definately make sure you choose wav files as the audio file type instead of aiff. This option is mostly so a session created on a Mac will open on a PC. Like I said, it may not affect the wav files themselves. I would check it anyway to be safe.

One more question: you said "Make sure all the wav files start at the beginning of the song and consolidate any clips/regions so you have one solid block of audio and you can be sure all the tracks line up." How would I go about doing that? If I have a track of audio that is composed of a variety of loops or clips, are you saying I need to do something special before I save that track as a .wav file?

]d

Here's what I do in Sonar: Let's say you have some loops and edited sections in a track and the clips don't start at the beginning of the song. You should use an editing tool (not sure of the name) and drag the beginning of the first clip so that it starts at the 00:00:00. then select everything in that track and do a Bounce to clip. That will make everything on that track on contiguous audio file.
    In Pro Tools, it works the same way but the command is Consolidate audio. both of these commands re-write to the wave file so you might want to jot down the file name after you do this so that you know which wav files to copy. I generally go into my audio folder and sort by date then I know the edited wavs are the most current.

I hope this helps. I almost confused myself while writing it
    -Marc

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    djjd5000
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 17:10:14 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your time, Marc!
    Spyda KB
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/25 17:53:02 (permalink)

[Here's what I do in Sonar: Let's say you have some loops and edited sections in a track and the clips don't start at the beginning of the song. You should use an editing tool (not sure of the name) and drag the beginning of the first clip so that it starts at the 00:00:00. then select everything in that track and do a Bounce to clip. That will make everything on that track on contiguous audio file.

Actuially, to save yourself the time, simply export all of your indiviual tracks as Broadcast Waves. They automatically bounce down and align starting at 00:00:00. When you import the tracks in PT, they are all aligned properly into a new session.

- KB

Citizen K Productions

Spyda KB
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/27 02:06:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spyda KB
    ...but the main problem with PT LE for windows is it never follows the common functions of windows (like Ctrl-A to select all, or Ctrl-C to copy)...and I haven't used a mac full timein years.

- KB

I was under the impression the Ctrl stuff works just like all other Windows apps. You might want to check and see if there is a preference related to that. I haven't used Pro Tools LE in Windows very much.

Actually I was wrong regarding the basic windows functions like Ctrl-A, etc...the windows version of PTLE , at least to me, does not behave like most windows apps. Maybe because of the lack of the right click menus.

- KB

Citizen K Productions

tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: Pro Tools vs Sonar? 2006/10/27 03:53:19 (permalink)

]d

I forget exactly where the break is, but with PT LE 7 and on, there is no option to "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility." It just works. With older versions (I want to say anything older than 6.9?) you will need to make sure this is checked when you first create your Pro Tools file.

Peace,

- Tunes
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1