Pro's of cakewalk?

Author
leora
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/03/03 22:32:48 (permalink)

Pro's of cakewalk?

I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a cakewalk program or not..
I need a program that I can learn to use without having to take any courses or a/thing.
im am not a pro. but im learning.
is cakewalk a good option?
and which version?
is the home studio 7 very dummed down?
is it better to get a more professional  one even tho im not a pro yet?

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/03/04 08:38:16 (permalink)
    OK.... well, Cakewalk has some nice stuff.

What are you wanting to accomplish with it? Are you a hobbyist, or do you want to compose symphonic movie trailers or something in between?

No matter what platform you buy, you will also need to but a nice sound interface to make it work correctly. the factory sound card doesn't cut it. So plan on that as well.

Here's what I did: I bought Music Creator 4 ( the current edition is MC5... buy the box version, not the download...you get more stuff) and a nice interface.

Music Creator is called a "beginners DAW" but it is actually quite sufficient to do most everything you will need to do. It handles MIDI and Audio. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and extra stuff you will find in the bigger packages, but to me that is a good thing. It is a good basic DAW to start with, inexpensive at $40 and very usable. With a low initial software cost, you could afford a better interface.

If you want the Sonar DAW's by all means buy them for the features. You could also opt to start with MC5 and when you need the features in the bigger more expensive DAW's upgrade at that time.

I started with MC4 and after 3 years still have no plans to upgrade, nor do I feel a need to have a bigger DAW with all the bells and whistles. I like the basic feel to this DAW. My upgrades have been the synths and sample libraries I use.

ALL my music is recorded on MC4.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/03/04 12:20:01 (permalink)
    I agree with Guitar Hacker about Music Creator being a great base program.
    I started with Music Creator 2, then moved to Music Creator Pro, then MC3, then MC4.
    They were all great at getting me familiar with all the terms, and setting up hardware, and in general
    just experience with digital recording.

The program is simple enough that you should be able to get some decent recordings in the first week of use.
    I must stress though that to get really, really good recordings, some reading and study time will be required.
    The program comes with your most basic sound processing tools, but time and reading, are the only way to learn what these tools do and how to use them.

Sonar is to me a great piece of software, but I would never suggest that someone new to digital recording start with that program. Take the time to learn the basics that Music Creator has first, at a modest price, then after time spent you will know when you are ready for the deepness of Sonar.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/03/04 14:43:20 (permalink)
    Exactly.... you can buy the beginner DAW or the best one CAke sells. If you don;t spend time to learn this art of recording, it will not sound as good as it could.

Learn the things you need and you can produce broadcast quality music on MC5.

It all depends on you and how much effort and learning you want to put into this.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/03/05 00:10:19 (permalink)
    I have to join the other guys in endorsing Music Creator.
    Although, Home Studio 7 is essentially the same, with a few more features. Either one would be a good place to start, but the price on MC is exceptionally modest, and you also get one of the friendliest support groups around.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/03/05 01:24:10 (permalink)
    although ive never used mc i would also suggest it.right now target is selling a usb microphone with music creator as a package for 39.99 its a great place to start.though if you wanna record guitar or something you might wanna start asking about audio interfaces..its a box you plug your guitar into that has a usb cord to your computer..welecome to the forum!!!enjoy my friend and come back with your questions when you get it

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

mrmclean57
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pro's of cakewalk? 2011/04/03 23:02:20 (permalink)
    I, too, am using MC5 however I have a different problem in that I am using the Peavey USB6 mixer and it is offering me all sorts of challenges from volume drop out to clipping and echo, all of this seems to be coming from the usb cable itself. If anyone is using this mixer i welcome any and all input. Oh, I purchased the boxed version of MC5 and it did not come with an interface...was it supposed to comewith one?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1