Pro-Tracks ?

Author
FartyMarty
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2007/08/14 10:27:14 (permalink)

Pro-Tracks ?

OK following on from my popular 'GNX4' thread, it seems it comes with Pro-Tracks software (also Cakewalk).

Anyone know how this differes from Guitar Tracks Pro ? - does it follow a similar setup ? would I be able to switch easily from one to the other ?

I've checked the Pro-Tracks site, but it's difficult to know whether the general feel and use of the software is similar.

thanks

Martin

6 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/14 11:24:21 (permalink)
    Hi Martin

I've just a look through the Pro Tracks Manual

This clip says it will save as CWP files [Cakewalk project] and CWB [Cakewalk Bundle] so I'm pretty certain they should open in GT:

Hope this helps

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

FartyMarty
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/14 11:39:42 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve - yup, was looking through the manual myself there too, although I hadn't picked up that nugget :)

Thanks

Martin
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/15 09:15:03 (permalink)
    Hi Martin

I thought of something after I posted - I forgot to ask which version of GT Pro you're running.

If it's GTPro2 you shouldn't have any problems - you might get a message telling you that some of the settings might not transfer exactly but you should be able to recreate or restore them in GT and be able to save your project so Pro Tracks can run it.

I'm still pretty new to GTPro3 and I'm not sure if the process of exchanging projects is possible - the reason I say this is that I can open any project/bundle I've recorded in GT2 or Pro2 into GTPro3, but a dialogue appears telling you to save the project [before you open it, I assume?] under a different name. This information is supplied because once you've saved a project in GTPro3, you cannot then [without a lot of very time-consuming mixing down and re-importing single tracks!] open the saved project in GT2 or Pro2.

I mention this in case you come across the same problem with you Pro Tracks files - I'd suggest creating a small 'demo' project in Pro Tracks, saving it as a Work [project] file and as a Bundle file - then try opening both types into GT3, make a few alterations and then save them both - then try reopening them in Pro Tracks.

Good luck

Steve

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/16 07:39:03 (permalink)
    Just a quick update Martin, here's a screenshot of the message you get when you try to open a 'non' GT3 project:

If you save it straightaway in GT3 under a different name [or make a copy and open that], your original tune will remain unchanged and still available to open in Pro Tracks.

I've just got to add for anyone else reading this thread that I think this whole 'backward compatibitlity' is at best a bit misleading and at worse, a bit of a con - I for one would probably not have got GT3 if I'd known this compatibility only works one-way.

Steve

DRHollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 821
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/16 12:28:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

I've just got to add for anyone else reading this thread that I think this whole 'backward compatibitlity' is at best a bit misleading and at worse, a bit of a con - I for one would probably not have got GT3 if I'd known this compatibility only works one-way.

Steve

Steve,

There is still time to throw it out in front of a lori and have Petey go fetch it! I'll wager a quid that he gets nailed the first minute out on the street!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Pro-Tracks ? 2007/08/17 08:03:30 (permalink)
    LOL - he'd probably be half a second too late[nt]

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1