Helpful ReplyProblem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one track affects the other

Author
lahatte
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 230
2017/03/19 06:21:35 (permalink)

Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one track affects the other

If I clone a soft synth track, then change the patch on the new track, the old track patch is also changed.

Please fix!

Thanks.
post edited by lahatte - 2017/03/23 23:48:19
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 07:59:56 (permalink)
This is because the softsynth in the rack isn't actually cloned - the new track is simply referencing the same synth in the rack. I would also like "true" softsynth cloning and put in a feature request in the bakery.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 10:44:07 (permalink)
I have always understood the term clone to be " make an identical copy of" so that is what it does. Nothing needs fixing here IMO it's easy enough to just copy the midi information to another synth track.
Sanderxpander
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 13:40:26 (permalink)
You may be misunderstanding the issue. When cloning a simple instrument track it seems intuitive that the actual synth in the rack would also be cloned, creating a separate instance, the same way audio fx on an audio track are cloned. This is useful for when you need similar patches or even just the same synth with a different patch. Unfortunately that is not what happens when you clone a simple instrument track - it references the same synth in the rack. For my purposes, this wouldn't even be so bad if you could simply clone the synth in the rack, but you can't. So you have to save a preset in the first synth, insert a second instance, copy over the midi data and then load the preset. It all works but it's a bunch of steps that could be avoided.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 14:32:59 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
You may be misunderstanding the issue. When cloning a simple instrument track it seems intuitive that the actual synth in the rack would also be cloned, creating a separate instance, the same way audio fx on an audio track are cloned. This is useful for when you need similar patches or even just the same synth with a different patch. Unfortunately that is not what happens when you clone a simple instrument track - it references the same synth in the rack. For my purposes, this wouldn't even be so bad if you could simply clone the synth in the rack, but you can't. So you have to save a preset in the first synth, insert a second instance, copy over the midi data and then load the preset. It all works but it's a bunch of steps that could be avoided.

I understand what is being said, I was just trying to make the point that it is  a "clone track" function rather than a "clone synth" function  so isn't "broken" as such - it just doesn't do what the OP seems to think it does. I don't have any idea how much programming would be involved to have a clone synth function, but unless it's minimal I can't see the need for it being a priority while there are plenty of  things that are genuinely broken and require attention - don't want the OP to get his hopes up, lol !
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 16:26:24 (permalink)
There's a relatively easy solution. You can insert an Instrument in an audio track's FX bin (this was standard operating procedure before instrument tracks were introduced). Then you can clone that audio track and have independent control over each synth.

You will need to create a MIDI track and assign it to each instrument. If you want the same MIDI data to feed both instruments without using a third-party MIDI patching utility, you will need to create another MIDI track for the second instrument, and copy the MIDI data to that track. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 16:45:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/03/19 19:35:47
I completely agree with SanderXpander that it would be a nice feature if "clone synth" were added to the "clone events", "clone fx", etc. options in the clone dialog. And, I think, pretty quick and easy for CW to implement.

I would not want it to be enabled by default, though, just remembered like the other clone options. Usually, when I duplicate a MIDI track I actually do want the clone to be routed to the same instrument.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
lahatte
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 18:40:54 (permalink)
To me, cloning doesn't mean that the new track must remain identical to the old one. Once a copy is made, it can have its own life. Unfortunately, it doesn't regarding the soft synth. But I understand what is happening now.

If I have a track I like, with midi, effects, sends, and automation, it would be much easier to make a copy (clone) and try other patches in the copy than to have to bother with trying to duplicate all the track setting in  a new track.
lahatte
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 18:43:50 (permalink)
Craig, that's a good suggestion. I had forgotten about that way of adding a synth. I haven't done that in a while.
Sanderxpander
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 22:26:27 (permalink)
I also like that solution that Craig proposed. The only problem with it is that you then have to make that your standard habit of inserting synths and you won't be able to use the "insert synth" dialog or use simple instrument tracks. Because if this happens during a project and you have already set up the synth in the rack, you can't drag it to the audio track fx bin from there.
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Problem: Clone "Soft Synth" track, changes to one affects the other 2017/03/19 22:45:24 (permalink)
I ran into this some time ago, too. Much head-scratching.
And the parameters interact in a strange way, one being a sort of master.

Clone an audio track, all plugs get cloned.
Clone a midi track - nope.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1