Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument

Author
westcoast1965
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2005/09/18 22:44:16 (permalink)

Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument

I have a simple problem which doesn't seem simple to solve.

I'm running Sonar 4.03 with an Edirol UA-25 D/A and MIDI interface. I have a gorgeous brand new Roland Fantom X8 and my problem is that I can't seem to get more than one MIDI channel to connect to my instrument simultaneously. I've imported an .ins instrument definition file and I have MIDI data that I've copied to a new track. All I want for now is to hear two separate patches play the same MIDI data on two different tracks. The manual says I can assign multiple channels to my instrument and play different patches at the same time assuming my device is a multi-timbral instrument ( which I'm assuming a brand new, flagship Roland syth would be ). Every time I go back to my instrument settings it's defaulted to one channel - I've checked the 'save for future sessions' checkbox and when I mute one track I get the correct voice playing on the other so my assignments seem right - I just can't seem to route more than one channel to the instrument at the same time. What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty new to this as you might suspect. Thanks to anyone who can help me with what is obviously a newbie stumbling block.

5 Replies Related Threads

Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument 2005/09/18 22:49:53 (permalink)
    assuming my device is a multi-timbral instrument

you are probably using the Patch (single program) mode !
    in all those synths (Yamaha,Roland.Korg .. ) you gotta be in another mode for getting the multi-timbral abilities ..
    try the Sequencer mode (or "Performance".. could be there too) and always search for that table of tracks/patches/midi channels...these should be set to 1,2,3 etc. and each one could have a different preset assigned there
    (Sonar can send the Patch change as needed to each MIDI channel)

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument 2005/09/18 23:40:07 (permalink)
    Roland synths use a specific sysex message to assign two parts to the same channel. You accomplish this with a sysex that causes a single channel to address two parts AFTER you assign a distinct patch tp both parts. Roland thinks of parts and MIDI channels as divorceable and remapable.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument 2005/09/18 23:52:45 (permalink)
    There are several ways to accomplish the same effect.

1) You can link two different tracks in Sonar by means of a linked clip. Therafter all changes to one are duplicated in the other assuring that the MIDI data on both tracks is identical. You mist also asssign a different MIDI channel to each track in the track parameters.

2) You can learn the proper sysex message to assign two "Parts" on the Roland synth to receive on the same MIDI channel. However, in order for both parts to respond using two different sounds, you must either assign patches to both parts before remapping them with the sysex or you must assign the patch to both parts using the appropriate sysex message. This is a non standard capability of many Roland synths and is not supported in ANY sequencer except by means of sending the sysex messages at the appropriate moment.

3) I am not familiar with your particular Edirol/Roland synth but many Roland products permit sysex to set up layering of sounds.

You need to dig deeper into the gust of your synth and discover how a generic sequencer can address the capabilities through NRPN and SYSEX messages.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

westcoast1965
    RE: Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument 2005/09/19 00:39:46 (permalink)
    Thanks... I will dig into the sysex messages to see if I can switch to performance mode or do whatever extra stuff that's needed to talk to my synth.

I thought it might be something like that... but the basic manual seems to make it sound easy. The only other reason I was confused was that it seemed like Cakewalk itself was not wanting to assign multiple channels. I had assumed that if it was the synth it might not work but the software would at least show that it was assigning multiple channels.
    westcoast1965
    RE: Problem assigning multiple MIDI channels to one instrument 2005/09/19 00:41:48 (permalink)
    Ditto.. thanks for the feedback. I'll be digging into the Roland manual now.. the Sonar side of it seemed deceptively easy!

I appreciate the help a lot!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1