Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3

Author
rzaw10
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2005/08/23 02:40:21 (permalink)

Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3

I haven't seen this topic on any other post and was wondering if anyone out there has seen a similar issue with 4.0.3. I'm using a Radikal Technologies SAC-2.2 control surface with Sonar PE. This surface is currently supported in Sonar. I work in the staff view a lot of the time and am used to scrolling back and forth using the jog wheel on the control surface. After I installed the 4.0.3 patch, I noticed that turning the jog wheel caused the view to move slower and slower until the program locked up after a few seconds. Some objects would flash on the screen but nothing else would work for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until the program ran through all the stacked up interrupts I guess and then would unfreeze. However, moving the jog wheel after that would cause the same thing to happen again. It has made me unable to use the jog wheel on the at all for navigation. I completely uninatalled Sonar then reinstalled everything over again. The jog wheel worked up through the 4.0.2 patch but not on 4.0.3. I even checked the dll file that was supposedly not being updated by 4.0.3 and found it was up to date. I am currently back to using the 4.0.2 patch and have been waiting to see something about this on the forum but have not. I emailed a technical support request in to Cake but haven't had a reply in over 2 weeks. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? I would like to apply the patch but have grown used to the jog wheel and don't want to give it up.

Much obliged for any technical hints.

P.S. Cakewalk, I could sure use some technical support. Where are you?

24 Replies Related Threads

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/23 02:54:04 (permalink)
    rzaw10,

I definitely understand you wanting your jog wheel to work. Would you mind calling Cakewalk tech support directly to discuss this problem? I'm not sure why you didn't get a response to your email, but a phone call will ensure that your issue gets addressed as email is not always 100% reliable. If it is judged to indeed be a bug, then development can log it so that it can be fixed in a future rev. I would try to duplicate your problem myself but I am currently out of town and away from my rig. Calling tech support is your best bet if you are able. Maybe some other SAC users will chime in in the meantime.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/23 13:58:05 (permalink)
    Ryan,

Thanks for your suggestion. On the Cakewalk web site there is no mention of a phone number for technical support so I assumed that there was only email support available. I will contact them by phone as soon as possible.

Howard
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/23 14:27:34 (permalink)
    lot of the time and am used to scrolling back and forth using the jog wheel on the control surface. After I installed the 4.0.3 patch, I noticed that turning the jog wheel caused the view to move slower and slower until the program locked up after a few seconds. Some objects would flash on the screen but nothing else would work for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until the program ran through all the stacked up interrupts I guess and then would unfreeze.

I "don't have any problems with 4.03"..for now.. simply not recording lately enough to make sure if it works or not but i've seen what you describe when just moving quickly around with either the mouse or the ctrl+Pageup/down key shortcuts - after a while i get what you said..Sonar freezes for a while until i can even stop it..the audio engine feels like it's "stuck"

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    Al
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/24 06:02:02 (permalink)
    after a while i get what you said..Sonar freezes for a while until i can even stop it..the audio engine feels like it's "stuck"

BUMP

Sigtech
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/25 12:17:54 (permalink)
    I have experienced the same symtoms with 4.02. I seems to happen to me when I am using some demo plugins... mainly WaveArts Trackplug.

rzaw10, did you ever get this resolved with Tech support?

I have a pretty beefy daw, Dual Opteron 64's with 1 gig of memory, so I don't think is a hardware issue.....

rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/25 23:19:49 (permalink)
    Chris,

I called tech support on the phone and they said they would try to reproduce the problem and send me an email with the results. I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm not too optimistic because on my SAC-2.2 the indicator lights stopped working between Sonar V. 2 and V. 3. Tech support told me it didn't happen on their end and stopped replying to me (maybe because the problem didn't occur right away but after a few minutes of use). I haven't forgotten that. So I hope they can reproduce this bug. I will let you know what I find out from them.

Howard Patterson
    Sigtech
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/26 08:54:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, Howard..

Keep me posted....

Chris
    rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/08/30 23:32:23 (permalink)
    Hi Chris,

I got a response from technical support about the transport problem. Here is their quote below.

"I have examined your issue regarding the Sac 2.2 control surface. There is indeed an shuttling issue when in the staff view using SONAR 4.03. I have submitted it as bug to be examined by our QA and development teams. In the meantime: If shuttling in the staff view is an important part of your workflow, you may wish to use SONAR 4.02. If it is not, you may wish to shuttle in one of the other views or shuttle with the mouse while in staff view. Feel free to check back any time for updates."

You mentioned that your problems were caused by a plugin but you didn't mention if you used that SAC-2.2 control surface. I haven't had any of these problems with 4.0.2 no matter what plugin I use. However, if you still have problems then the phone support seems to be the best bet. I haven't historically gotten much satisfaction with email support.

Good Luck,

Howard

Sigtech
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/09/06 08:58:10 (permalink)
    Thanks, Howard for the update!

Chris
    MarathonJon
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/11/04 17:06:46 (permalink)
    has the scrolling problem been fixed in 4.0.4
    rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/11/04 19:16:56 (permalink)
    Nope. I sent them an email asking if this was the case and, as usual, received no reply. I decided to install it last night and the bug proved to be still there. I doubt it's even fixed in Sonar 5 which is why I'm not spending the money for the next version.

Regards,

Howard
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/11/04 19:51:46 (permalink)
    I got a response from technical support about the transport problem. Here is their quote below.

"I have examined your issue regarding the Sac 2.2 control surface. There is indeed an shuttling issue when in the staff view using SONAR 4.03. I have submitted it as bug to be examined by our QA and development teams. In the meantime: If shuttling in the staff view is an important part of your workflow, you may wish to use SONAR 4.02. If it is not, you may wish to shuttle in one of the other views or shuttle with the mouse while in staff view. Feel free to check back any time for updates."

I'm using a SAC-2.2 also and running 5.0 PE, and I haven't noticed this. But, I don't use the staff view, just the track view. I haven't used the MIDI capabilities of SONAR for years.

Just in general though, have you noticed instabiltiy with the SAC? If I use it for too long it eventually start to lose sync between SONAR and the interface. Control buttons become sluggish and eventually it's unusable. It would be wonderful if they uncovered and squashed a bug that would explain both the problem I see and your problem.
    Al
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/11/04 22:24:22 (permalink)
    has the scrolling problem been fixed in 4.0.4

don't know about 4.04 ... but i keep on asking why Sonar 5.0 (just a track or two with some audio plugins) is doing the same - locking for a while after some scrolling of the Now time cursor ...nothing from Cake yet -

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=616980&mpage=1

rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 2005/11/08 01:48:27 (permalink)
    Al,

I have noticed problems with the SAC-2.2 ever since Sonar 3. In Sonar 2 it worked great, the panel lights followed which track was selected, there was no problems with the wheel, and the scrolling worked well. Then in Sonar 3 I noticed that the lights on the panel would work when you first turned on Sonar but cease to work (freeze) after moving around the piece for a few minutes. I assumed there was a bug in the software but Cakewalk denied there was a problem. I contacted the manufacturere of the SAC but they said if it passes the self test it's fine. Now it's the jog wheel in 4.0.3 (and I assume 5.0). Cakewalk has acknowledged the bug but didn't offer a time line to fix it. I'll be damned if I'll pay the upgrade fee to 5.0 to get another version that doesn't work properly with my equipment. If Cakewalk doesn't want to support a peripheral like the SAC they should withdraw mention of it in their documentation. I feel like they are languishing in keeping the basic functionality of the software alive while adding features I don't care about.

This has been frustrating me for years. I get steamed every time I hear about another upgrade coming along that we have to pay for that doesn't address longstanding problems. If you hear anything back from them on your situation, please let me know.
    sgainar
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/17 13:02:17 (permalink)
    Howard,

I too have a similar frustration with cakewalk's support of the SAC-2.2. The controller's indicators (mute, solo, etc.) are completely useless after running Sonar for a few minutes. I went through a long list of troublshooting ideas with cakewalk (all good ideas) but none of them fixed the problem. Jorge from Radikal (very helpful) pointed me to a utility (MidiOx) that would monitor the messages between Sonar and the SAC. Sure enough, Sonar stops sending indicator messages to the SAC after a few minutes. When I went back to Cakewalk with this info...no reply. With all the wonderful new updates for the Mackie, it seems they are leaving the SAC in the dust. Ironically I purchased my SAC from Cakewalk when they were distributing it a while back. I run a music/studio business and am disabled and really rely on my controller a lot. It's disappointing.

Scott
    rzaw10
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/17 21:49:58 (permalink)
    Scott,

I'm glad Radikal was helpful to you. When I first reported the problem back in 2004 they basically ignored me. Ditto for Cakewalk tech support.

I just don't think Cakewalk is willing to do anything to improve support for the SAC-2.2. I think they should just stop claiming that it works with the platform.

My previous posts have spoken of the frustration I've felt as I've watched this remarkable (and expensive) piece of equipment limp along and becoming more and more useless with each new Sonar. I think the last straw was when the 4.0.3 update broke the jog wheel functionality and while tech support acknowledged the bug they then released Sonar 5 and I lost any hope of ever seeing this bug fixed without spending big bucks again. Let alone getting back all of the functionality that has been lost.

However, I've found a workaround. Over the holidays I picked up a copy of Cubase SX3. While the editing functions are not quite as advanced as Sonar's I now enjoy full support of the SAC, a sound quality that is quite magnificent, and full VST as well as DXi support. Everything seems a lot more stable on my system as well. I'm having to get used to a new way of working but I'm happy I won't have to deal with the frustration any more and someone else will get my nickel besides Cakewalk.

Good luck to you getting this resolved.

Howard
    eric_peterson
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/17 23:18:45 (permalink)
    One would think that the problem is likely to be in the SAC control surface plug-in itself since the SAC works well with other software. But, for me, it doesn't work in Mackie Control Emulation mode either. However, that could be a separate issue altogether.
    eric_peterson
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/17 23:20:13 (permalink)
    Sure enough, Sonar stops sending indicator messages to the SAC after a few minutes.

Exactly which messages is it not sending? Do you know?
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/18 00:46:49 (permalink)
    Hi everyone,

I'm here at the NAMM show and will bring this issue up to those on the development team. I'll try to post (or have someone post) with information so some of you SAC users don't feel like you are just hanging.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    sgainar
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/18 08:53:22 (permalink)
    Howard,

I have an associate that also uses Sonar and the SAC (who is equally frustrated) and we were also talking recently about Cubase. I’ve also looked at the Mackie control...but I don’t like it as much as the SAC (and it is more expensive than switching software). My only concern with new software is the learning curve – I’ve been with cakewalk since the DOS days and know it very well. After I finish this next project, I may pick up a copy of Cubase and give it a whirl – the people who use it really seem to like it. Thanks for your response.

Eric,

Yes…It it a string of system exclusive data that I don’t have a copy of at the moment. The Midiox program is free and a wonderful troubleshooting aid – you just set it up while you’re working and it displays all the sysex exchange between programs. When you press say the mute button on the SAC, the SAC sends the sysex command to Sonar. Sonar performs the function then sends a sysex command back to the SAC to turn the light on. After a few minutes Sonar stops send back the commands – it’s clear as day.

Here’s Jorge’s (Radikal Tech) response:

“in order to make sure, that it is not your unit, I would connect the SAC via MIDI only and would connect the MIDI-Thru port to a second MIDI interface port. Then I would scan the MIDI messages from the THRU port with MIDIOX - the free of charge MIDI monitor. The SAC sends the mute button or Solo button via MIDI. But the SAC will not control the button LED by itself - after receiving the SAC's message, the software must reflect the button pressing by switching the LED on by sending a MIDI message. Otherwise, it would not be possible for the software vendor to create their own SAC implementation. Some programs will for example control the buttons in the way that they are flashing other programs can create a normal "light on". The MIDI monitor will help you to check, whether the MUTE messages are sent by the software when you press the button or not. Maybe, sonar starts to send the messages to another MIDI channel or whatever. A MIDI monitor for sure would be a good help to figure that out. If the messages are the same after 20 minutes, you can be sure, that the SAC is starting to ignore these messages after a while (what I can't believe really). If the messages are not coming anymore after 20 minutes, maybe sonar is doing something wrong. And when there are still messages but the messages are different than they were before, also Sonar is doing something wrong... From what I hear from you it seems like, that the rest of the communication is fully working. Then it is obviously a bug in the sonar software or in the SAC. I don't believe it is the SAC, because that would then be reported by other customers as well, who are using different programs. I don't think, that that has to do with ACPI. I also recommend to disable that - but I don't see a way, that ACPI can cause the button LEDS stop working after 20 minutes. “

Hope this helps.

Brandon,

Thanks for your response. Hopefully we can resolve this quickly with a feature set similar to the Mackie Control.

Scott
    eric_peterson
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/18 15:40:07 (permalink)
    I'm here at the NAMM show and will bring this issue up to those on the development team. I'll try to post (or have someone post) with information so some of you SAC users don't feel like you are just hanging.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time! Thanks!
    eric_peterson
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/01/19 16:21:39 (permalink)
    I'll try to post (or have someone post) with information so some of you SAC users don't feel like you are just hanging.

Did you manage to get the ear of any developers?
    eric_peterson
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/02/07 10:23:30 (permalink)

Hi Brandon,

What was the verdict when you approached the development team about an update to the SAC-2.2 support?

-Eric
    post edited by eric_peterson - 2006/02/07 10:27:06
    sgainar
    RE: Problem with Jog Wheel in 4.0.3 (SAC issue) 2006/02/07 19:15:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

Hi everyone,

I'm also interested in some type of response. These problems are costing me too much time (and ultimately money). Please keep us posted.

Scott
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1