Problem with matching audio track with midi drums

Author
Condemnedtosuffer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/14 06:58:06 (permalink)

Problem with matching audio track with midi drums

Whats up..... Yeah ive been stressing my ass off on trying to match up tempo of my guitar tracks with the midi drums track i upload into Sonar4 PE....... Im recording the audio directly from a mic from my guitar cab........After that is recorded i would like to know how to lay the midi drums properly with the tempo matching........Its hard because im currently recording fast death metal riffs..... ive thought about step recording like doing the verse of the guitar, then the verse of a drum track....will that be easier ? Please help me anybody.....

5 Replies Related Threads

Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Problem with matching audio track with midi drums 2005/07/14 07:25:27 (permalink)
    I would say to put the drums down first, then play guitar in sync with them, not the other way around. The midi drums will be in near perfect time, but if guitar goes down first, you'll be hard pressed to sync drums to it.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Problem with matching audio track with midi drums 2005/07/14 07:33:27 (permalink)
    Record guitar to click track or prerecorded drums. Then add or polish final drum track. All else is additional effort.

loop

Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Problem with matching audio track with midi drums 2005/07/14 13:42:01 (permalink)
    What Loop said. Otherwise you will have to do something like "extract timing", which will probably be a royal PITA with fast riffs.
    Asseli
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Problem with matching audio track with midi drums 2005/07/14 15:21:06 (permalink)
    Right you are!
    first : let it groove with drums 'n bass (or even a click) then you're still free enough to play all those tricky riffs.(and freedom here means tension in your piece). It's an old story since J.S. Bach, but he didn't use a drum set, of course. But maybe he would have used it, if he wold have known it (at least sometimes...)

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
    new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
    DavidBrown99
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Problem with matching audio track with midi drums 2005/07/14 21:37:17 (permalink)
    All of the above are true, but here's a trick. slide the audio over to the left about 111 ticks (or whatever your setup gives you in delay time.) It's always the same amount if you can play well :-) After you slide the audio over you will discover it lines up perfect with the midi. Sometimes you need to cut a little audio off the front to allow the slide. I avoid that by leaving an measure of air before recording.

Recording audio with audio can result in the same delay and the solution is: slide the new live audio to the left by a small amount.

create a CAL for the slide and it goes even faster.
    post edited by DavidBrown99 - 2005/07/14 21:41:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1