Helpful ReplyProblem with sending program change command to amps simulators [ solved]

Author
Piotr
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 208
2017/04/22 21:10:45 (permalink)

Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators [ solved]

Hi,
After hours of fight I need to ask. Maybe anybody already digged into this topic or I just am doing something wrong :(

I am trying to set midi track to control automatic switching presets in Amplitube 4 when playing project.
I think I am doing as manual says.

I defined few presets at program change table.
I turn midi input on at VST3 menu of plugin container as well, of course. I set output of MIDI to input of plugin.
Sending CC commands works. MIDI led of Amplitube is blinking. And after defining in Control Change table params I can change successfully properties gears or amps inside preset. But when trying to send program change (patch change) command even MIDI led is not blinking. Like is would not receive anything :( And completely nothing is happening. :( Tried to do something similar on TH3. And here is other issue. Manual reads it is changing presets in current bank but the thing is while it is changing presets (different numbering so must send CC with value greater +1) it is always changing my bank to TH3 what's new bank (#2) instead of keeping current. :( I am a little frustrated as planned to do some fun with recording not fight with program on Saturday :( Probably if it is not kind of nasty bug many Sonarians managed to do it. I would appreciate any help.
post edited by Piotr - 2017/04/23 09:59:30

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators 2017/04/23 01:00:08 (permalink)
Is there a VST2 version of Amplitube 4 available?  I think that VST3 version of many plugins have an issue responding to Program Change messages.  It has something to do with the VST3 standard and not really much that Cakewalk can do about it.

I have the same issue with Meldaproduction VSTs and Program Changes when using the VST3 version of a given Meldaproduction plugin.  When I change to the VST2 version of the same plugin,  Program Changes are received and responded to correctly.

Hope that helps

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Piotr
Re: Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators 2017/04/23 09:59:05 (permalink)
Thank you. You were right :)

I just added VST2 to my layout in Sonar (as it was hidden) and replaced plugin by VST2 version, even not changing anything in plugin setup (program change definition is kept for all instances in A4) and now when playing project it is changing amps as expected :)

A little sad, we have another example where VST3 version of a plugin has some problems.

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators 2017/04/23 10:31:14 (permalink)
Piotr
A little sad, we have another example where VST3 version of a plugin has some problems.

it 's actually likely the host implementation rather than the plugin, see http://forum.cakewalk.com/BUG-REPORT-Sonar-calls-VST3-plugin-function-with-the-wrong-arguments-paramID-vs-index-m3582145.aspx for more detailed info (and "they're looking at it")

just a sec

craigr68
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators [ solved] 2017/04/23 16:06:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/04/23 16:24:42
I posted this before.  It's an email response from Overloud on 8-29-16 which affirms that TH3 VST3 program changes don't work but VST2 program changes do work.  There have been several new versions since.  I haven't tested the VST3 version of them, because I continue to only install the VST2 version for this very reason.  I'm assuming the new VST3 versions have the same issue.  For the record, I'm running the full version.

Overloud email response:
There is absolutely no difference in functionality between TH3 VST2 and VST3 (aside, of course, of this issue regarding MIDI which is obviously not intended). 

The current state of TH3 VST3 as of version 3.2.2 is that it supports CCs and Note messages, but still not Program Changes. 
It may sound funny somehow, but the VST3 specification does not include "out-of-the-box" support for Program Change messages, replaced by a much more convoluted abstraction (which no one really uses in its full capability). 
The result is that the old "Program Change" functionality has to be "emulated" instead, in some way or another. At the moment we're deciding which way it is best to design this emulation.

The good news is that the VST2 is still fully functional with all its MIDI capability, so if you wish to update from the special 3.2.0 that we have sent, you can do so updating with the latest 3.2.2 and then remove the VST3 plug-in from your system (or choosing not to install it right from the installer).
Piotr
Re: Problem with sending program change command to amps simulators [ solved] 2017/04/23 16:21:11 (permalink)
Thnx for clarification of root cause. Anyway another reason to install also VST2 versions plugins what extends overall amount of plugins and make managing them harder (especially considering hiding VST2).

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1