Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk

Author
sonry
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/10/06 10:34:33 (permalink)

Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk

I use the X50 music synthesizer.
The problem I have now is that when I created the second MIDI track, the instrument of the First Midi track couldn't be fixed..
What i mean is...
I cannot make the instruments of the two tracks be different.
and the instruments I used are only determined by the synthesizer but not the Music Creator now.
The two MIDI tracks now are of same instrument and I cannot change them one by one.

5 Replies Related Threads

JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    RE: Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk 2008/10/06 10:41:12 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome to the MC4 forum! I'm not sure I understand all of your situation, but I use an Alesis QS7 synth and what you're describing is I think, the same kind of setup all of us with synth pianos go through.

My first thought is, that you may have both of your tracks set to the same channel, as that's what would cause them both to appear to be on the same sound. Remember, for each MIDI track you're trying to record to, you need to set each track to a separate channel, and then select your different patch - and on your keyboard, you set your channel to match the track you're recording (i.e., OUT 01, OUT 02, etc). I hope this helps; if not, please give us more details and we'll try to help further!

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    sonry
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk 2008/10/06 10:55:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for your quick reply! The situation is, whenever I use the desired sound chosen from the hard synthesizer to record a track, during the playback, the sound of the track varies along with the instruments I chose from the keyboard during the playback. How can I fix a specific sound for a single track so that when I record another track, I can hear the recorded ones with their original sounds?
    Hope you'll understand what I mean
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    RE: Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk 2008/10/06 11:06:39 (permalink)
    It seems like you're talking specifically about some sort of mismatch of sound patches that occurs during playback mode, but you're actually able to record OK? Do I understand the issue correctly?
    If this is the case, are you sure you are using the correct Instrument Definition file for your X50? In your selection of the Instrument for your keyboard (I don't have MC4 open on this computer, but it's in the pull-down for Options / MIDI Instruments), it has to correctly identify your particular model synth so that the correct set of patches are fed into the software. If you're hearing them play correctly as you record, but not during playback, there's a problem with either the selection of patch being saved in each track, or I'd think it was a setting related to your Output of each Track into a Master Bus of the tracks you've already recorded. And you are sure that each of your other tracks of MIDI, are set to unique channels? Are you having this problem only with other MIDI tracks? Are any audio tracks playing with the correct soudns that you expect?

There's one part of what you said that confuses me: you said "whenever I use the desired sound chosen from the hard synthesizer to record a track, during the playback, the sound of the track varies along with the instruments I chose from the keyboard during the playback." Do you mean that when you play back a single track, it switches to various different patch sounds? I'd like to know about this before hazarding any further advice

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk 2008/10/06 12:18:15 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I understand...but if you record the hard synth as audio...it will be the sound you choose on the hard synth...

HOWEVER, if you are recording the midi output as data into a midi track... you do have to do a few things to get the 2 tracks to sound different...or have different voices...

I have a site www.herbhartley.com that explains how to get different voices out of the TTS synth while playing input from 3 different midi source tracks.... take a look, work through it, and see if that is the answer to your problem.

In short...TTS, with just one instance of it in MC...can play up to 16 different instruments at the same time from 16 different midi source tracks....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Problems related to synthesizer and Cakewalk 2008/10/06 13:38:27 (permalink)
    Have you tried using the X50 editing software as a VST in MC? I don't know how that would work, though.
    The Music Creator line of software does not support the importing of instrument definitions, so if it's not on the instruments list already, you can't use the ID for your keyboard. You'd have to upgrade to one of the SONAR Home Studio programs to import IDs. That's presupposing that an ID for the Korg X50 exists somewhere on the web for downloading.
    You can only use the General MIDI patches of your keyboard, or a software synthesizer such as TTS-1 provided with MC 4 and later Cakewalk programs. To use the exact sounds of your synthesizer, you need to record and edit a MIDI track to your satisfaction, use no patch, set the keyboard to the sound you want, connect audio cords from the keyboard to your sound card and record the keyboard's audio output on an audio track in MC. Make sure you solo the track you want recorded as audio so all the MIDI in the song doesn't record on the same track.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/10/06 16:13:35

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1