Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra [SOLVED!!!]

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2010/11/04 21:25:52 (permalink)

Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra [SOLVED!!!]

I purchased an M-Audio FTU and I am trying to use it with my new computer, which is a Dell Inspiron with a Pentium i3, 3.20 GHz w/ 6GB RAM running Windows 7 64-bit.

I am having what I guess you would call dropouts, but attached is a screenshot below showing what's happening. It's like it lost connection. It might happen a minute apart or a few seconds apart. The attached screenshot occured when nothing was connected to the FTU and all inputs where turned down to zero.

I've tried the following and still have the same problem

* I have downloaded the newest drivers; occurs with ASIO or WDM
* Occurs in both Sonar PE 8.5 and Sound Forge
* Tried with different USB ports and different USB cables
* Happens both bus-powered and wall-powered
* My antivirus is off and internet is not connected
* Checked for IRQ conflicts and all other troubleshooting tips from M-Audio
* Increased latency up to 512 samples and problem still occurs
* No other programs are open (iTunes, etc)
* I previously turned "High Performance Mode" off because that was freezing my system

Any ideas I haven't thought of? Hardware problem possibly?

post edited by dlogan - 2010/11/06 09:28:30

11 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/05 07:55:03 (permalink)
    A couple of other things I forgot to mention:

* I don't have this problem with my Line6 interface
    * I've turned off Windows sounds and disabled the internal soundcards
    * When I'm recording something and using direct monitoring with the FTU, I don't hear these glitches; I just see then on the waveform then they're very audible when I play it back.

On the M-Audio forum, the moderator said it didn't sound like a hardware problem.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/05 08:41:21 (permalink)
    dlogan

A couple of other things I forgot to mention:

* I don't have this problem with my Line6 interface
    * I've turned off Windows sounds and disabled the internal soundcards
    * When I'm recording something and using direct monitoring with the FTU, I don't hear these glitches; I just see then on the waveform then they're very audible when I play it back.

On the M-Audio forum, the moderator said it didn't sound like a hardware problem.

But he didn't offer what it did sound like or how to fix it? 

it sounds like you've done a lot of great troubleshooting already.  a couple of things I would try if it were me (and it almost was!  I considered the FTU when I bought the MOTU instead!):

try a different computer.
    check for DPC latency (google it, download it and run it)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    dlogan
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/05 17:48:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Reece I will try that. Other people have said their FTU is rock solid with W764 and Sonar. I've found a few other tips to try too. I'll let you know if I solve the problem!
    dlogan
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/06 09:27:39 (permalink)
    Well the problem has gone away (at least for now) and it appears the problem was my wireless card. Before when I was having this problem, I wasn't connected to the internet, but the wireless card was still enabled. When I went to Device Manager and disabled the wireless card - the problem is gone!! Yea!!
    jmoyers
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/11 19:43:13 (permalink)
    Hello, I'm very new to this and I hope you can help me....?
    I'm running Sonar Producer 8.5 and just added an M Audio Fast Track Ultra.  I want to record 4 individual vocal tracks simultaneously but I can't find a way to map the mics to the tracks in Sonar.  The only track input options I can find are "M Audio stereo output" or "Left.."or "Right...".  Can I get 4 separate tracks through the USB output of the Fast Track Ultra? 
    dlogan
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/12 08:31:35 (permalink)
    jmoyers

Hello, I'm very new to this and I hope you can help me....?
    I'm running Sonar Producer 8.5 and just added an M Audio Fast Track Ultra.  I want to record 4 individual vocal tracks simultaneously but I can't find a way to map the mics to the tracks in Sonar.  The only track input options I can find are "M Audio stereo output" or "Left.."or "Right...".  Can I get 4 separate tracks through the USB output of the Fast Track Ultra? 

Welcome to the forum! Yes, you can... as long as you're wall-powered (not bus-powered). When you're bus-powered, you're limited to 2 inputs. So just plug it in with the power adapater (the FTU control panel should then show that you're wall-powered) then you should be good to go!
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/12 11:41:13 (permalink)
    dlogan

Well the problem has gone away (at least for now) and it appears the problem was my wireless card. Before when I was having this problem, I wasn't connected to the internet, but the wireless card was still enabled. When I went to Device Manager and disabled the wireless card - the problem is gone!! Yea!!

It's a good idea to disable all network devices while doing DAW work. They eat up a lot of CPU even if they are not in use. In fact a wired network card driver eats up CPU even if no cable is attached !
    jmoyers
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/18 11:12:23 (permalink)
    Thanks!  I appreciate the help, I'll try that...
    jmoyers
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/18 18:54:24 (permalink)
    I really appreciate your help, thanks... Okay, I've got the FTU on "wall power", with three mics attached.  I'm getting good audio to the headphone mix as well as to Sonar.  When I select the track input for each track in Sonar,  the drop down menu box still only offers me "left" "right" or "stereo m audio fast track ultra".  What do I need to do to get the option to choose from the multiple inputs instead of just the one stereo or 2 total (left and Right) inputs that I am getting?
    jmoyers
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/18 19:18:06 (permalink)
    I noticed on your screen shot above that your input to track 1 is ASIO.  I cannot select asio drivers, the only choice I get is MME... could that be part of the problem?
    dlogan
    Re:Problems setting up M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on a new computer 2010/11/19 14:23:29 (permalink)
    jmoyers - check this out and see if this helps:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=a2d09b4b42075b2b9df638671975a8b4

Yes, you should use the ASIO drivers. WDM would be 2nd choice if you had problems with ASIO for some reason.  Looks like MME is the source of your problem - see below:

Q: Which Windows drivers are available for M-Audio USB Audio devices?
    A: M-Audio USB Audio devices can be used with ASIO (except for Sonica), WDM or MME drivers. The use of ASIO or WDM drivers allows for the utilization of all available Inputs- and Outputs. ...

In MME mode, the driver gives access to the same amount of channels and audio resolutions, but most MME recording applications allow only for a maximum of 2 Inputs + 2 Outputs at a maximum Sample Rate / Bit Depth of 48kHz/16Bit.
    post edited by dlogan - 2010/11/19 14:28:34
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1