Problems with Vista and home recording studio

Author
hoserlover
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2009/01/14 23:14:18 (permalink)

Problems with Vista and home recording studio

Hey guys and gals,

This problem maybe on the wrong thread but I'm stuck between a rock and.......well you know!
I just got a new computer with Vista 32 bit OS and 3 gig af Ram and 2 core quad. I've put in a sound card.....emu 1212m and loaded up the appropriate driver.......v2.1 driver with it's applications. I am using the virtual console patchnmix DSP to try and link together my ins and outs(yamaha AW4416 with 8 channel ADAT connection to my computer and Sonar 7 as my music software program)(by the way, the light at the end of my optic cable is working well). The configuration of my AW4416 in copasetic(has not changed for years)(worked with my last 2 computers) and the configuration of my Patchmix DSP looks as though it is fine and dandy. The ASIO outs work fine. The problem is that I'm getting absolutely no signal on my PCI card ADAT 1/2,3/4,5/6,7/8 As I'm looking at the Patchmix virtual console while I sing into a hot mic!!!!
Can anyone give me some trouble-shooting ideas? Or even better.....give me some answers!!!! I'm at my wits end here!!!

Desperate and confused,
hoserlover

John Macciocchi

8 Replies Related Threads

Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/15 21:03:45 (permalink)
    Hi,

To me, your description is not very clear. What is the PCI card you are talking about? Does your AW4416 have an ADAT option? You are controlling the AW4416 through a serial connection. You have a mic connected to the AW4416, and you see signal. But Sonar is not seeing anything on the ADAT inputs? Is that the problem? And you have sinchronized the word clocks of the emu1212m and the AW4416?

Wilko
    hoserlover
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/15 21:48:06 (permalink)
    Wilko, thanks for the reply.

I'm not receiving any signal on my virtual console (patchmix DSP). The way I have it configured is correct (i think) adat 1/2,3/4,5/6,7/8. Yes I have the mic connected to the AW4416 which should then go into my sound card (emu1212m) via light pipe wire (which seems to be firing on all cylinders). Then I should get a signal in patchmix.......BUT I DON'T!!!! Frustarating. Last time I hooked everthing up I did not need to synch the word clocks up. I don't know what a serial connection is? Call me stupid!! Just don't call me late for dinner!! Does that clear things up?

hoserlover
    Shadow of The Wind
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/15 22:53:59 (permalink)
    It should work, and I don't think that this is a Vista problem. Just be sure to download the newest emu software. From there (emu support), you can also download the ADAT loopback test to verify that your ADAT I/O is working.
    It seems to me that you migh have misconfigured something. I checked the PatchMix manual. The show exactly your set-up on page 95. There should be a session for this set-up included in the PatchMix software that you can load. Try to copy exactly what is described there. Put level meters into the channels in PatchMix so that you can see signals even if the connection to Sonar is not configured correctly. The SoundOnSound article shows how to do it.
    In the old day before USB computers had slow serial ports to connect e.g. modems or other devices. Usually the connectors where 9pin D-SUB. Some hard disk recorders used this connection to let you control the recorder from your PC. I looked at the manual. The TO HOST port is exactly that in your case. But it seems that it only gives you the functionality that you get if you connect the AW4416 to your PC via MIDI.

Good luck,

Wilko

http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/1820_1.81_(EN).pdf page 95http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/emupatchmix.htm
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/aw4416_1.pdf
    hoserlover
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/16 21:24:51 (permalink)
    You are a life saver for putting so much time to help out my situation. I'm going to attempt those suggestions and see if I can rectify this problem.
    Stay tuned,

Hoserlover
    hoserlover
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/18 23:11:32 (permalink)
    Hey Wilco,

I've tried everything. I even got a new computer with Windows xp pro as an OS. I've configured everything proper like. I've intalled the proper drivers. I've done the ADAT loopback test (affirmative.....It looks and sounds good). And I've installed the emu 1212m card proper like in the PCI slots. What happens when I try to load certain sessions (like the loopback test) in Patchmix DSP is that it gives me a warning window---> "Patchmix DSP Error! You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware to load the session in your system. This may be because the session expects more EMU hardware than what you have installed on your system. You may continue limited editing of this Patchmix DSP session but you may not hear audio as expected."

What does all that mean?
    HELP!!!!
    Hoserlover
    Shadow of The Wind
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/01/19 00:19:45 (permalink)
    Mmm. I don't understand what is going on. Does the 1212m have two boards? Did you install them both? If it is nothing obvious, you should call the service.
    Sorry, but I am running out of ideas.

Wilko
    zzz
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/02/12 20:18:02 (permalink)
    I think that it's either the pci card, or patchmix. The emu card is very tempremental with vista. I've been having fun setting up a 1616 with Sonar 7, so I know what you're going through! You may need to do a "virgin install" (google it with emu soundcard). Make sure you have any onboard sound disabled in the bios, and check the IRQ slot your card is on, it needs to not be shared, no matter what windows says. Can you hear any sounds whatsovever from the pc? Will windows media player play anything with noise? In that case there's a likelyhood it's the patchmix software. Yes, it's powerful, yes, it's complicated, and yes, it's one of the most non-intuitive pieces of software I've come across. Yes, I'll get it eventually, but what I want to do now is play with Sonar, and my set-up, not spend a week trying to figure out what should take 30 seconds, putting in various sends and aux bus routes that are gobble de gook to me, because I don't have a degree in mixing desks, or digital recording techniques. Anyway, I know this is a late reply, but having experience with Emu, Vista and Sonar, you may well be banging your head now! Let us know how you fix it, and perhaps we can provide an answer for the next emu user who is baffled!
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Problems with Vista and home recording studio 2009/02/12 22:18:21 (permalink)
    I have the same card, and it's fantastic once you work on the latency.

I know this is a dumb question, but...

The card reqiures it's own power, and it needs to have a pigtail to the 12vdc power inside your machine to the main card. Is it hooked up?

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1