Prochannel vs Alloy

Author
brentmann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2014/04/21 07:58:30 (permalink)

Prochannel vs Alloy

X series/recording newby here. Who is using alloy at the track level vs prochannel and do you prefer if over the prochannel? Is there any advantage to using one over the other? Should you use alloy at the submix level or is there any need assuming you have previously eq'd your tracks using the prochannel? Hope these are not entirely stupid questions, but having come from Sonar 6 the prochannel is both very exciting yet kinda confusing now as too what I would need to do eq wise if anything if I have already used the prochannel for compression/eq/enhancements etc

14 Replies Related Threads

rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 08:10:37 (permalink)
    Think of the pro channel as like the a channel strip on a desk, with all the various EQ's, compressors etc. in plain sight. This gives you the option of using the FX bin like you would use external effects on an analogue, or even digital, desk.
    I find the pro channel an easier way to view the effects I have on each track, rather than having to open an effect from the FX bin every time I want to view or edit the settings.
    I haven't used alloy so that's not something I can vote on, but maybe someone else can chime in with a comparison for you, as well as give you more of a heads up on using the pro channel to greater effect.
    Welcome to the forum.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    brentmann
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 08:33:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Rebel! I'm just getting into using the FX chain module on the prochannel and delving into some of the presets, I'm digging some of them for drums (I'm tracking real live drums). It's real easy to get all plugin happy with this digital realm, like unleashing a 5 yr old by himself in a toys r us store for the first time lol! Restraint I guess must be the order of the day, I'm trying to learn all I can via tutorials on you tube etc (which are primarily Protools based) and other books mags websites etc, but the curve is steep! I'm about to final mix my first song (about 22 tracks) and wondering what the process is for Sonar. Is it just a matter of bouncing it down to a stereo track (after levels automations etc) like usual or is there another protocol that is "standard" practice-bouncing to a submix or something in which perhaps post mix eqing would apply sorry for so many questions! ;-)
    keyzs
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 10:13:29 (permalink)
    I used to have Alloy installed. Ever since effects (VST) are able to be place into the ProChannel chain, i have hardly used Alloy.

Dont get me wrong, Alloy is a great channel strip - it is an all in one plugin with 2 compressors; operating either in series or parallel. The "trace" feature is great on the compressors as it shows how the signal is being handled. Also the EQ is surgical and precise especially with more bands and the spectrum behind.

ProChannel is native to Sonar and it defines the Sonar Channel Strip. The add-ons if purchased, will also become part of the ProChannel. The ability to add third party plugins into being part of the ProChannel signal chain just blows everything else off.

Depending on workflow, ProChannel may be configure as either Pre or Post FX. So if its Pre FX (default), you may add any kind of limiter or whatever VST FX in the Effect box; if its Post, just add the PC Concrete Limiter or whatever at the end.

hope this helps.... Cheers!!!
    lawp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 10:22:31 (permalink)
    Depends on whose code you prefer

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
    brentmann
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 14:36:52 (permalink)
    Tks Keyzs! Any thoughts on this aforementioned question?

I'm about to final mix my first song (about 22 tracks) and wondering what the process is for Sonar. Is it just a matter of bouncing it down to a stereo track (after levels automations etc) like usual or is there another protocol that is "standard" practice-bouncing to a submix or something in which perhaps post mix eqing would apply sorry for so many questions! ;-)
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/21 22:37:49 (permalink)
    I heavily use both Alloy 2 and the ProChannel.

Of all the FX I've picked up outside of included Cakewalk and add-on ProChannel modules, Alloy 2 is my first go to Plug-in. I can get to a great sound quickly with this one tool, or I can just use a part of it as needed.

What's great is using both Alloy 2 and the ProChannel together. I add an FX Chain to the ProChannel and put Alloy 2 in there to do its thing wherever I want in the ProChannel flow. I use Alloy 2 on both tracks and buses.

That said, it's fantastic with tracks. I tend to freeze tracks after I've done adjustments and it's sounding good. That includes freezing Alloy 2 if it's in a track's ProChannel FX chain. This is great because I can get all of the power and goodness from whatever combo of modules and/or Alloy 2 I have in the ProChannel, and also have no hit on the CPU.

If you haven't picked up on the theme here, I really like Alloy 2. It has a lot of easy to understand features and flexibility. And it has a lot of great presets. Just turning it on on an acoustic guitar track is attention grabbing, like wow!

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 05:37:23 (permalink)
    It actually is an apples-apples comparison!

I bought Alloy 2 on sale last year, but I haven't been using it as much as I expected I would. I do absolutely LOVE the alt-sweep on the EQ (which I've been addicted to in Ozone since back in the day), but I like the PC EQ just as much and it's more convenient, always sitting ready in the Pro Channel. 

The Transient Shaper in Alloy is great, and in combination with the Exciter you can really modify a track to sound nothing like the original. 

I probably should try and use Alloy more than I do, but the Pro Channel is so darned convenient, and good results are quickly achived. 

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 07:26:28 (permalink)
    I love , all plugins from iZotope but have to agree with Sven that Pro Channel is just so darned convenient and good results are easily got that I too am using Alloy less than before.

Don't get me wrong, Alloy has an excellent combination of plugins - kind of a little brother to oZone without the heavy drain on resources. And even a lot cheaper than the full ProChannel set of plugins at today's prices. ProChannel is just there all the time and great when you're looking for the classic sounds of modern music.

When the music is not so easy to place in one genre or another then I'm also more likely to use plugins like Alloy because I'm not trying to emulate an existing sound scape but produce something new.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    brentmann
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 07:55:56 (permalink)
    I just got Alloy and Ozone as a bundle for a great price off the 'bay. I'm tracking "real Live" drums and finding some decent Sonar presets for the fx chain in Prochannel (esp for kick drum). I guess i'll have to A/B Alloy vs some of the fx chain/sonar vsts to see what works best for me. I like presets I can tweak a bit and speed, I don't want to spend all day trying to get the sound I want, at my age my ear longevity during a session is at a premium ;-) It can be overwhelming (and expensive) with so many plugins available and everyone saying you gotta try this gotta have that. I like the KISS theory and like to keep things as methodical as possible so I can get the song in my head into the DAW quickly and as pain free as can be. I have watched the Alloy and Ozone video guides and read the PDF's pretty impressive I must say. Thanks for your insight in this guys! So far a newby friendly forum ;-)
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 09:11:08 (permalink)
    As for mixing down, my projects are almost always solo, duo or small combos. I only ever mix to buses, then to the master bus, or even straight to the master stereo track. Others here have different methods but if you are just "in the box" then this is a simple method that works well.
    There are some very accomplished mixers and engineers on this forum that you may be able to get some serious tips from if you ask some specific questions.
    One of the great things about Sonar is it can do just about anything that the other DAWs can do. It may not be the best at everything but if you want a particular workflow, Sonar can usually accomplish it.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    keyzs
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 11:56:37 (permalink)
    Hi brentmann, apologies for my late reply... 

pertaining to your question...

brentmann
    I'm about to final mix my first song (about 22 tracks) and wondering what the process is for Sonar. Is it just a matter of bouncing it down to a stereo track (after levels automations etc) like usual or is there another protocol that is "standard" practice-bouncing to a submix or something in which perhaps post mix eqing would apply sorry for so many questions! ;-)

within the 22 tracks they will definitely be some groups - as in groups of guitars, synths, pads, strings... etc. the most important group being the drums. In the previous group, i was try to get instruments that sound similar to be one group; however, drums are a total beast as the kick may overlap into the bass or vise versa.

just IMHO only:

i would usually fix the drums first - get them to sound they way i want - basically SOLO out all the parts that make up the drums and then work on from there - filters, eq, FXs, pans, levels, ... etc the works. then i'll send them all to a DRUM BUS. 

Next, i'll choose a group to work with - ie pads or strings. if you record orchestra stings you will find that they take up a very wide freq range from the ultra lows to about 12kHz. SOLO out the parts as above and balance them nicely, be they pads, strings or whatever... same technique as the drums; filters, eq FX...etc. then send them to another bus lets say STRINGS BUS. Do the same for the rest of the other instrument groups.

In the end, you will end up mixing with probably like 5 or six buses. here is the tricky part. As you balance them, you will realise that they may not sound they way they did as crisp and clear when they were SOLOed out. at this stage, AUTOMATION, EQ and PAN will become your best friends. work on that. You may find that the bases and lows will be the greatest challenge; followed by the 800Hz to 5kHz range because of the "honk" and also the human perception.

Just remember that no matter how many tracks you start with... sum them up to no matter how many buses, they will always end up on the single MASTER BUS. In mixing the most important point to note it that you are mixing EVERYTHING as a single group. Everything and every instrument has to have its own space and its own time to shine. Bottom-line is they must all sound good playing together.

Many a time, during the composition stage, you may spend hours carving out that "special" sound, but when you get to the mix bus stage, you may find that the "special" sound could be the biggest problem when everything is being played together. The "special" sound, though unique, it too must give time and space for other instruments to support it... making "the sound" even more spectacular.

all the very best... and good luck. Cheers!!!!
    brentmann
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 15:05:45 (permalink)
    Keyz
    Thanks for the detail reply. So much to learn! Heres a quick question, if you have automations say volume swell for some accent guitar parts at the TRack level and say you have those bussed with other guitars on a guitar buss, when you are mixing with the bus do the automations carry over to that guitar that is in the bus track as well? The point of all the buses is to make it easier and more organized with far fewer faders for final mixing right?!

keyzs
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/22 22:52:14 (permalink)
    brentmann
    Heres a quick question, if you have automations say volume swell for some accent guitar parts at the TRack level and say you have those bussed with other guitars on a guitar buss, when you are mixing with the bus do the automations carry over to that guitar that is in the bus track as well? 

YUP... they do carry over -  not in the physical sense  but you will hear the swell even when you lower the bus fader, the area for the the swell will still be emphasised relative to the rest of the guitar tracks.

brentmann
     The point of all the buses is to make it easier and more organized with far fewer faders for final mixing right?!

More or less yeah...i guess...  however, there will be times when you will also need to go back to the main tracks just to manage that final-final super fine adjustments.

once again good luck... Cheers!!!
    brentmann
    Re: Prochannel vs Alloy 2014/04/23 07:45:12 (permalink)
    Cool Beans! Thanks again! I gotta say I'm mighty impressed with X3 Producer! Great having those "wow" moments when you learn something new that it does! I'll post finished songs when ready!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1