Production tips

Author
martinlemonkiss
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2005/09/17 17:11:37 (permalink)

Production tips

Hi

Does any one have some basic tips on producing songs. I'm recording twelve string,bass electric lead,drums and strings. Where do people usually pan their instruements, what effects do you use if any...drums panned in the middle...Do people double track guitars. I know it's all down to the song but i wonder if anyone has any rules of thumb as a starting point

3 Replies Related Threads

rm5700@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    RE: Production tips 2005/09/17 17:36:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: martinlemonkiss

Hi

Does any one have some basic tips on producing songs. I'm recording twelve string,bass electric lead,drums and strings. Where do people usually pan their instruements, what effects do you use if any...drums panned in the middle...Do people double track guitars. I know it's all down to the song but i wonder if anyone has any rules of thumb as a starting point

I know what is a really good effect for vocals or guitars, double-track them at key points in a song, or guitars... many times the really good guitarists double or even triple their parts for the solo.

For drums, I pan it the way I have heard it on many songs out there... like the Hi-hat panned towards the left, snare and bass drum in the middle, for toms & cymbals: spread left to right like a real drumset as if you were sitting in front of it.

Also, higher pitched toms towards the left, then gradually/eventually getting to the right for the lowest toms. Listen to Neil Peart (RUSH) for drums, or Alan White (YES) great example for panning a pretty big drum kit.

But then again, you have the mixing on Magical Mystery Tour of the Beatles or Sgt Pepper's where they do stuff out of the ordinary, (and real cool in my opinion)... putting all the drums to the left, or all to the right, instead of spread out.

Hope this helps!

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
    http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Production tips 2005/09/17 18:02:52 (permalink)
    My rule of thumb is there is no rule of thumb

This type of question opens a pandora's box of different (yet perfectly reasonable) responses, some of which might actually mean something to you personally.

I suggest you go to your CD collection (or iPod or whatever) and do some serious listening to music that is of the same genre as what you are recording. Listen with a good set of headphones and pay attention to how things are panned and how they sit in the mix. Then listen out in the open on a decent stereo system (obviously it will sound different). This type of excersize will get you into the ballpark at least.

I mean there's nothing wrong with asking for advice but ultimately, you are correct - it will depend on the song itself to a large degree - and of course, your own artistic vision.

The only thing I think I would care to share about panning is this: I don't like it when things are panned too hard left or right (unless there is a matching something on the other side). For example - putting electric guitar in one speaker and bass in the other (like early Van Halen). Bad idea if you ask me. If you're listening in a car and one side is out - there goes the entire mix down the drain I tend to prefer something balanced more towards the center but it depends on the instrument and it's relation to other instruments blah blah blah.

Have fun experimenting!

ps check out www.studiobuddy.com

great tips!
    post edited by krizrox - 2005/09/17 18:13:09

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    martinlemonkiss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Production tips 2005/09/17 19:35:34 (permalink)
    Thanks guys that's is useful

I spent two weeks listening to Coldplay's x&y working out the song structures.i didn't think to look at the production....anybody recommend some albums they think are really well produced...i downloaded the queen is dead by the smiths which has a really low key production in parts...what i wanted to do is find three realy good albums and imerse myself in the production...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1