Progressive rock

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/14 22:26:17 (permalink)
Not originally prog..............but have evolved.........into many things.......

Any Savatage/Transiberian Orchestra/Jon Oliva fans (Many don't realize the connections).........

Jon Olivas last 4 releases are very diverse and interesting........
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/14 22:40:33 (permalink)
ELP

King Crimson

Yes

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
alvie
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 08:03:58 (permalink)
Hi Mike.

I think "prog rock" is not only about odd time signature and technical performance. Long evolving song and great use of sound FX are part of it.

"Echoes", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" are good example.

But most of there songs are not prog at all.

PS. About 20 years ago, I have saw a King Crimson live with Adrian Belew as a guitarist. They were mainly playing songs from the "Discipline" album .. and it was amazing.

Alain
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded (64 bits) 
Windows 7 (64 bits) 
Intel I7 / 8 MB
UA-4FX, EMU XBoard49, AT-2020 
http://parseq.alvie.ca/ 

edentowers
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 08:11:04 (permalink)
Isn't anyone going to mention Hatfield and the North?

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 08:25:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

Isn't anyone going to mention Hatfield and the North?

Now yer talking..how about Stackridge as well?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 09:06:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: alvie

Hi Mike.

I think "prog rock" is not only about odd time signature and technical performance. Long evolving song and great use of sound FX are part of it.

"Echoes", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" are good example.

PS. About 20 years ago, I have saw a King Crimson live with Adrian Belew as a guitarist. They were mainly playing songs from the "Discipline" album .. and it was amazing.

I do think virtuoso performance is part of the formula for prog rock.I can't help but wonder if Prog might not be the one form of rock music that transcends generational shifts and become like "classical" music in that the songs and performances are often far more musically complex than the normal three chord style rock.

I wonder if Prog will be seen as the "classical music of its time" where regular rock/pop will be much as we view "traditional" music today.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
ricstudioc
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 10:37:48 (permalink)
I do think virtuoso performance is part of the formula for prog rock.

Hmmm - I'd have to quibble that point a bit. Certainly there have been many "virtuoso" players in the genre, mostly keyboardists come to mind (Wakeman, Moraz, Banks, etc). But look at, say, Gentle Giant - is their guitarist (name escapes me, it's early here) a "virtuoso"? Hardly, in my mind. A great, solid player - but certainly Vai, or Gatton, or DiMeola (list continues) are more "virtuoso" players. Same with their drummer, or say Steve Hackett from early Genesis. Not amazing players, per se - just good, solid craftsmen in command of their instruments. But certainly Gentle Giant is regarded as one of the definative prog groups.

So where's the difference lie? Well, Vai/Gatton/DiMeola/etc (the virtuoso's) all tend to end up in groups centered around them - THEY are the music, and the show, and the reason.

The great prog groups, on the other hand, tend to be centered around the music - the piece(s) themselves, each member of the group contributing to a complex, well-defined structure that simply couldn't exist if any one of them indulged themselves on their own.
Perhaps more than any other genre, being in a prog group truly means being in a GROUP - sublimating one's current personal impulse to "go off" and remaining a part of the arrangement-as-agreed-upon.

Again, there are certainly many virtuoso players in the prog field, and you can't be a rookie and keep track of "Apocalypse in 9/8" - but IMHO virtuosity is probably the least critical component of the genre. Good, journeyman abilities on one's instrument, and a desire to be a part of something bigger than ones self strike me as being more to the point.

As I said - it's early here, still getting the first cuppa 'feen in me, so I hope this was vaugely coherent.....

Ric
jamesg1213
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 10:45:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ricstudioc

But look at, say, Gentle Giant - is their guitarist (name escapes me, it's early here)

Gary Green, one of my favourite players, very under-rated.

Good points about The Giant, Ric, their music didn't revolve around any one of the members, and they were all multi-instrumentalists.

Jyemz

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 12:06:08 (permalink)
I have an extensive collection of stuff from the few years before and after DSOTM from Eloy, Camel, Caravan, Gong, Triumvirat, Genesis (not the disco), Hawkwind....

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
alvie
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 12:31:16 (permalink)
Hi Ric.

The great prog groups, on the other hand, tend to be centered around the music - the piece(s) themselves, each member of the group contributing to a complex, well-defined structure that simply couldn't exist if any one of them indulged themselves on their own.

It's true that the best prog was always from bands that play together like classical music. You may have a soloist but it's the song that matter.

Alain
Windows 7 (64 bits) 
Intel I7 / 8 MB

foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 14:33:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

ORIGINAL: ricstudioc

But look at, say, Gentle Giant - is their guitarist (name escapes me, it's early here)

Gary Green, one of my favourite players, very under-rated.

Good points about The Giant, Ric, their music didn't revolve around any one of the members, and they were all multi-instrumentalists.

All of which tends to support my point. I perhaps chose "virtuoso" as my descriptor incorrectly, but I was trying to put forth the idea that both musicianship and compositional complexity were what are for me the main elements of Prog. The greatest prog bands also had/have some of the greatest rock musicians ever (IMO).

I consider Mike Oldfield a genius of unparalleled proportions, mostly because he plays every instrument known to man (or so it seems) and plays them well, though perhaps not as well as somebody who is specialized. He writes (or creates) music that is for me spectacular simply because of that level of ability. In many ways, it is Mike Oldfield that I most admire and is who I keep firmly in my sights as I climb up the musical ladder.

Progressive means "forward looking" and in many ways, to be forward looking you have to be musically well beyond the curve. The difference is, for me at least, is as stated by Alvie, that the band plays together, each instrument gets the spotlight, there is less a "lead" in the band as in traditional rock.

Cheers
Shad

*Mike Oldfield might be considered electronica today.

Composers Forum
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 15:02:14 (permalink)
I consider Mike Oldfield a genius of unparalleled proportions, mostly because he plays every instrument known to man (or so it seems) and plays them well, though perhaps not as well as somebody who is specialized. He writes (or creates) music that is for me spectacular simply because of that level of ability. In many ways, it is Mike Oldfield that I most admire and is who I keep firmly in my sights as I climb up the musical ladder.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bedford

This guy apparently had an considerable influence on Mike. Had to dig a bit to find that info (didn't see it in his Wiki), but it was briefly mentioned here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcsGrtaMp_E&feature=related

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
jamesg1213
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 15:24:25 (permalink)
My playing style owes a lot to Oldfield, which is hardly surprising since I played Tubular Bells almost every day when I was 14 or so.

On a whim yesterday I put the follow-up 'Hergest Ridge' in the van CD player. Came across as a very rushed-out, obviously similar piece, quite lame and uninspired really. I think he was lucky to be working when he was; record companies were willing to let an artist tread water and develop gradually back then. An album like that would have finished his career these days.

Jyemz

foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 15:36:33 (permalink)
The vid was cool (could not read the dutch stuff lol). It was interesting to see Richard Branson so young. Yep, it really does show how how far I have to climb to even see the bottom of his shoes.

Cheers
Shad

Composers Forum
foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 15:45:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

My playing style owes a lot to Oldfield, which is hardly surprising since I played Tubular Bells almost every day when I was 14 or so.

On a whim yesterday I put the follow-up 'Hergest Ridge' in the van CD player. Came across as a very rushed-out, obviously similar piece, quite lame and uninspired really. I think he was lucky to be working when he was; record companies were willing to let an artist tread water and develop gradually back then. An album like that would have finished his career these days.

I have listened to so little music that is not my own or that which is posted here since joining last year. Hearing some of his stuff again made me realize just how heavily influenced by his style I am. Like you, a lot of his music was constantly on my turntable. Then listening to my repost of medusa, I realize I am also influenced musically as well as stylistically.

Well, who knows... it may yet still be possible for an old fart like me to get to that level. The nice thing about self publishing is the publisher can afford to let the artist tread water a bit LOL.

Cheers
Shad

Composers Forum
Roflcopter
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 16:29:49 (permalink)
The vid was cool (could not read the dutch stuff lol).

Oops, I gave you the Dutch wiki page by mistake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bedford

remember that it's on the left in the menu to change the availabe languages on-the-fly in wikipedia. Can't remember *not* seeing English there....

foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 16:54:52 (permalink)
I was thinking that david bedford sounded familiar. Readin his bio reminded me. I think he is credited on the record jackets.

Sorry, I misread your post. I though you were saying there was only the dutch version or I would have done as you suggested.

Composers Forum
Roflcopter
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 17:26:09 (permalink)
I though you were saying there was only the dutch version or I would have done as you suggested.

Nah, it's just that Bedford isn't mentioned on Mike Oldfields Dutch wiki page [checkcheck] - nope, just as a credit in his phonography somewhere.

Obviously not as complete as the English one.

Johannes H
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 17:43:01 (permalink)

Well said! I totally agree.

CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 18:31:04 (permalink)
I Mother Earth has always struck me as very "out there" which I kinda associate with Prog Rock. I think they are great. Another interesting one is Hidria Spacefolk. They do some very long repetitive stuff but some of it is really cool.....some very boring.

I am a huge fan of this genre and stuff close to it. It seems to me that Prog Rock has always been about letting the music flow out in whatever form it wants to take, long songs, short songs, structured, non-structured, whatever. That at least seems to be the common theme I hear between older prog rock bands like Yes and newer prog rock bands like Porcupine Tree. I use genre terms less and less these days as music I like just becomes music I like, no specific genre needed.

I think Sonar DOES encourage that prog rock type atmosphere. For me Sonar is as much of part of creating a song as my instrument. It allows me to try ideas in a way I never did before. I've never been a "sit down with an acoustic and write a song" type of person. It also allows the addition of very prog like elements such as voice and EFX loops that seem to take a seemingly simple chord progression and give it some lift.

Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 19:24:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

No ones gonna mention Steve Morse?

Excellent point! The Dixie Dregs really did some amazing prog stuff and Morse is, undoubtedly, an amazing player. Thanks for reminding me, I'd let them slip from my mind (like most of everything I've ever known).

Regarding Yes:

One thing I've always found curious... If you read interviews about how the early Yes albums were composed they seem to confirm my personal suspicions that the music was never conceived as a whole composition. It just doesn't surf. :-) By most accounts the albums were literally cut and paste together measure by measure in a desperate attempt to assemble enough material to call an album. It sounded different because it was different... it was different because they were rather arbitrary about joining motifs.

Indeed, Yes did some less than stellar studio albums, specifically the ones that were put together bit by bit because they couldn't get along in the studio, apparently. But there are also some amazing cuts that they did that are really nicely composed/arranged and work as music, at least for me. And nobody that I've ever heard could set up that nearly psychedelic sound scape that Yes mastered over the years. Having studied music concrete and ambient sound, I was really enthralled by some of the sonic landscapes they developed on their albums. And then there was Steve Howe, a mighty good player in his own right. Do they surf? I couldn't say. But I'm not sure that they were a "surf" band..... ;>)

Best regards,
Bill
post edited by Cromberger - 2009/03/15 19:32:51

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 19:27:43 (permalink)
RUSH!
Marah
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 975
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 20:14:16 (permalink)

I'd like to point out that even the Pink Floyd liked to point out they were a blues band.

Yeah. You know I wouldn't really put Pink Floyd in the same category with most of the bands mentioned. I mean they were progressive in many many ways, from the start, but not Progressive in the *genre* way. Or at least not to my ears. But then I'm not at all a fan of what's usually called prog-rock, so maybe I'm not seeing the connection to PF.

For me, "progressive rock" is things like Roxy Music, Eno, John Cale, Queen, a good bit of Bowie... I'd include PF in with those ones. Even Led Zeppelin in many ways... hmm, maybe it's just the Hipgnosis artwork that makes me think that.....

Anyway, nice post Mike.
post edited by Marah - 2009/03/15 20:27:28
space_cowboy
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 20:53:20 (permalink)
Prog has many faces. I particularly like Space Rock and Canterbury Scene. I also love King Crimson, pretty much any era.

Prog Archives is an excellent resource for those of you wanting to explore more about the genre. It breaks down numerous different sub genres and has a relatively detailed listing of the bands within those.

Too many people look to Yes and PFM and ELP as the definitive Prog Rock bands. This website has so much more than the Symphonic Rock bands - those that I would also accuse of wretched excess.

Take Hawkwind - a band I happen to love (maybe 20 of their LPs - but who is counting). No one would call them the virtuosos that populated bands like Yes. Heck, I am not sure I would even call them great song writers. They had a niche - a lot of their stuff is based on Sci Fi. And a lot of their music is Synthi AKS/Putney based with loud guitars. Even their more ambitious synth works like The Forge Of Vulcan on side B of Quark Strangeness and Charm was predominantly analog sequencer based with some organ crescendos. But it was a cool intro into Days of the Underground.

Or take the Planet Gong trilogy by Gong. LSD influenced if there ever was a set of LPs. About a planet (Planet Gong) where radio signals are beamed into people's heads, they fly around in teapot taxis, and are advised by Pothead Pixies, Octave Doctors and Zero the Hero. Gong You is in my top 20 LPs of all time. My point of bringing this up is that if you listened to things like the Planet Gong trilogy and Yes, you would not associate them with being in the same genre.

I personally go back to songs that Syd Barret did like Astronomy Domine or Lucifer Sam, or later PF with songs like One of These Days or Echoes from Meddle - the LP before DSOTM and see lots of influences on these sub-genres. In that way, PF was sort of a prog rock band - but in the space rock category - not symphonic rock.

And Marah - I love you - but while I am a huge Roxy Music fan, I have to put them in Art Rock (early while Eno was still with them) or Glam in their latter days. Then again, I am a bit of a nerd about some parts of Prog.

Those of you who are Yes fans should check out PFM - an italian band who's name is too hard. Early Genesis - before they became a disco band - was in that category. Some excellent music, totally obscured by the second worst turn of any rock band in history (first being the people who did White Rabbit doing We Built This City).

There are tons of instrumental progs out there too. Tangerine Dream was a pioneer in many aspects of ambient.

There are a couple of great carriers of the flame. I love Ozric Tentacles. Jazzy Space Rock. Searing Guitars and weird AKS noises. I love Spock's Beard and Porcupine Tree.

Any recitation of major efforts in the Prog genre would be amiss without a nod to Todd. Whether in Utopia or some of the efforts in A Wizard - A True Star or Todd - Rundgren had a major impact on the popularization of his style of prog - again largely big guitars and synths. The underrated side B of Initiation - called something like A Treatise on Cosmic Fire - had excellent synth and guitar work. I have owned like 10 copies of that over the years. I can take or leave parts of side A - completely opposite of popular opinion. I have seen him numerous times and even though he probably has a pace maker and a lifetime supply of Viagra, he still rocks the house.

Zappa - had to put him in here too. Don't really know how to categorize him. Peaches and Regalia - from Grand Wazoo I think - is an excellent example of early prog Zappa style.

Anyway - a very long winded post which does little more than show I know a lot. I did not intend it that way. It is more a reflection of my passion for certain parts of the genre.

Peace Out Y'all.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 20:57:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: alvie

Hi Mike.

I saw them with the six piece band - Belew, Fripp, Levin, Bruford and two others I cannot recall. That time was around the Vroom LP.
Number one - they were amazing and flawless for some really complex music.
Number two - they were not as loud as I would have imagined for their style of music (think Red or Larks Tongues in Aspic) yet it was still very powerful.
Number Three - If you didn't know the band, you would hardly know Fripp was there. He sat in the shadows the entire time, next to his amps and his rack.

foxwolfen
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 21:24:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
And Marah - I love you - but while I am a huge Roxy Music fan, I have to put them in Art Rock (early while Eno was still with them) or Glam in their latter days. Then again, I am a bit of a nerd about some parts of Prog.

Those of you who are Yes fans should check out PFM - an italian band who's name is too hard. Early Genesis - before they became a disco band - was in that category. Some excellent music, totally obscured by the second worst turn of any rock band in history (first being the people who did White Rabbit doing We Built This City).

There are tons of instrumental progs out there too. Tangerine Dream was a pioneer in many aspects of ambient.

Heheh, i have to agree... Roxy music is not what I would call prog in any way. Nor Eno, nor AON, nor 10CC/Godley & Cream (though they meet the criteria I have in many ways). They are as you say, art rock.

I am not sure I would classify tangerine dream as prog either, more electronica. Prog needs a mix of instruments, not just keys and electronic drum kits. Vocals, while not essential, are expected in some manner. I might put Enigma or Deep Forest as prog first.

Airplane... Jefferson Airplane... Jefferson Starship... Starship... from the sublime to the ridiculous. How can a band that made White Rabbit make the complete drivel that was "We built this city"? How? For twenty years its haunted me. Though I would call them psychedelia more than prog.

Composers Forum
alvie
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 21:46:33 (permalink)
Hi Space Cowboy.

If you didn't know the band, you would hardly know Fripp was there. He sat in the shadows the entire time, next to his amps and his rack

He did the same at the show I saw. You could hear the guitar but hardly find the guy who was playing it.

He was playing with Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford and Tony Levin. What a dream band ... it was amazing.

Alain
Windows 7 (64 bits) 
Intel I7 / 8 MB

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/15 22:27:55 (permalink)
I grew up on what's called Prog rock now days. I used to call it Classical rock, not to be confused with classic rock. It's great stuff if you have the head for complex time signatures and harmonic complexity thrown together with truly unique sound design. That's what music is meant to be in my eyes.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
Marah
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 975
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/16 02:21:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Yeah, I guess Art Rock is a better category for Roxy, and probably all the ones I mentioned, than Progressive. Different pretensions.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
RE: Progressive rock 2009/03/16 06:49:03 (permalink)

One thing I've always found curious... If you read interviews about how the early Yes albums were composed they seem to confirm my personal suspicions that the music was never conceived as a whole composition. It just doesn't surf. :-) By most accounts the albums were literally cut and paste together measure by measure in a desperate attempt to assemble enough material to call an album. It sounded different because it was different... it was different because they were rather arbitrary about joining motifs.

Hi Mike.

In my opinion, this is more true of the Yes music of '72 to '79 that any of their other eras.

Their first three albums were primarily shortish, pop-orientated songs, and at least 2 of those albums inclueds several cover versions.

It was only when Wakeman joined for Fragile that they began to push the envelope with regard to lengthy compositions - no more so than on albums like Close to the Edge & Topographic Oceans.

This theme repeated itself through Relayer and to a lesser extent Going for The One.
Tormato was a horrible album though, and saw them try to revert to shorter, more accessible material.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1