Project 5 Sync to Roland VS 2000

Author
farrarbc
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 646
2005/12/05 21:20:14 (permalink)

Project 5 Sync to Roland VS 2000

As a new owner of Project 5, I would like to be able to use as a sync slave in my studio (Project 5 does not seem have the capability to be a sync slave, only a master). I have a Roland VS 2000 DAW and Cakewalk Professional (8.x which I would like to upgrade or replace), but I'm not really interested in a PC based recording setup as I'm quite happy with the VS 2000. Any recommendations for sequencing software to host Project 5? Can Sonar Studio serve as a sync slave and host Project?

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Project 5 Sync to Roland VS 2000 2005/12/05 21:49:08 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forium, Bruce. Have you played around with Rewire any? P5 can be the host or client in Rewire. And as you've found out, be the master sync source over MIDI. Did you want to use the Roland as the master clock?

I know that the big-brother Sonars can be master or slave. MIDI Sync, MTC and, SMPTE, too. Not so sure about Sonar Studio, though. Someone will be along shortly for that.

If you end up using Rewire, I'd look into the Petertools LiveSet demo. 20 minute time-out; full-featured demo. 1.5 is overdue by 3 months, though.
    I keep stoning these guys around here with that link, but this little (albeit costly) app is highly configurable, especially with an external setup. P5 acts as the Rewire client with LiveSet at the front end. HTH
    farrarbc
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 646
    RE: Project 5 Sync to Roland VS 2000 2005/12/06 07:29:34 (permalink)
    I do want to use the Roland as the master clock source. I've played around with ReWire and Reason hosted in Project, but the Roland doesn't speak the ReWire protocol.

It looked to me from the product lit that Sonar Studio and Producer could slave via SMPTE or MTC to the Roland, but those have a significant amount of capability that I don't need! I'm hoping for a lower cost option as it really is on the sync slave function I need. Project's sequencing is more than enough for an old guitar player like me!!!

Thanks for your response

--BF
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
    Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
    MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7-980
    Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
    24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    (4) 320 GB Seagates
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Project 5 Sync to Roland VS 2000 2005/12/06 18:03:52 (permalink)
    Project's sequencing is more than enough for an old guitar player like me!!
    The reason that I mentioned that petertools thing for you, and the delayed update: There's supposed to be a free Tam Tam module that controls dynamic tempo changes in the upcoming (due out in September!) revision.

From fooling with the demo, I'm thinking that you'll be able to use incoming tempo changes [I'm thinking some form of MIDI Sync] to control P5 over Rewire. So, master clock through the Transformation Busses [two separate KB inputs in LiveSet], onto the Tam-Tam, looped back to the Roland with the MIDI Out LiveSet module, and onto controlling Project5 for tempo. Master clock Roland to Project5, with the "missing link" in-between.

TOC (over P5's cost) would be about a buck and a quarter, if that's the only thing you need. You'll lose out on the mixing capabilities (and other features) of Sonar Lite, though. I'll let you know how this turns out, Bruce, because this tempo-sync question about LiveSet is the only thing holding me up.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1