Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days'

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tclark
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1525
2011/06/08 16:05:49 (permalink)

Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days'

If you were a member on this forum during the hayday of project5 then please post! I remember a lot of you guys and you helped change the way that I wrote music and it was thanks to this community that I signed up for the university course I did (Music and Sound Recording) and am now working for Dolby!

I really hope that some of the old users will stumble upon this page like I just have and say hi! Let me know what you're doing!

T

39 Replies Related Threads

Chris in Indy
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/08 17:24:31 (permalink)
    Well you certainly don't need to feel silly.

I think most of the members that you seek have moved on to greener pastures. I would like to have kept in touch, but as life goes, so do members of forums.

I'm sure some of them still use P5, (as I do) for if nothing more , for as least a scratch pad. Even though I'm still just a hobbyist, and will never reach the acclaim as many of you, I still can recognize good and practical software. Sonar is great, (and I use it every day) and once I have an idea sketched out I go right to it, but P5 is so simple and quick, it's hard to explain that it is just the right tool when you need it. Cake really missed the boat on this one. They have tried so hard to best the competition that they let a very good program (and it's followers) slip right through their hands.

Bigger is not always better.

Cake ............. you at one time were a leader .............. now you are chasing the the other brands. ................ Stop .............. go back to the day when you were the originators, not the followers.

Chris in Indy ............... 
    Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
    ecamburn
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/08 22:55:46 (permalink)
    hey tclark.  Freeky right?

Glad to hear you're doing something you enjoy for a living.  I'm still in touch with a couple of old timers and I put the word out.  Hopefully others will stop by.

Cloudwalker_
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/08 23:06:23 (permalink)
    Well shoot, I'll sign back up JUST for this thread.
    Hope those of you I haven't seen in a while are doing well.

Still making music...under the name cloudwalker.
    http://soundcloud.com/cloudwalkermusic
    Not using Project5 anymore...
    Though I'll always be a rabid fan of good ol' Rapture.

Would be great to see Phil show up.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/08 23:24:05 (permalink)
    I'm always pokin' around from day-to-day to see if there is any action on the forum.  On a side note, the old Project5 Wiki that was hacked and taken offline has been re-incarnated in a new anti-hack static web site form at http://project5.technetos.com/ for anyone interested.
    rewir3d
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 570
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/09 05:40:57 (permalink)
    I am still currently using P5 for my productions, even though I have Pro-Tools and Logic...I do not like working off my laptop but when I fully convert to Mac I will use Logic! Been forever since I posted anything on this forum but I still lurk about here and there. I also took a sound engineering course in 2009 and did some internships afterward, but alas nothing really broke for me. Hopefully in the future though.

Nice to see some active members still around these parts :)

Split album from myself and :10: (Sean Forsythe) can be found at this link :)

http://label.idmforums.com/aphotic.html
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/09 10:22:50 (permalink)
    I think most of us are still here, but there just ain't that much action anymore.  I guess we are all so expert we don't have any more questions ;-) 

On a side note, I was dumping CDs to my android phone to use in the jeep and came across the P5 users CD for the Dallas Video Festival I did years ago.  Almost brought tears to my eyes ...  But the songs from you guys were really, really good.  Keep posting news of your work here, even if it ain't all P5.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/09 10:40:26 (permalink)
    [:10: collection]

I put most of the old (and I mean old) and newer stuff up for download for those that are interested. :)

Still using P5 - Tried X1, but the sequencer was crap compared to P5's. It would have been nice if Cakewalk just added P5's sequencer to X1, or had the option of utilizing it and the way midi clips are used within X1's interface. It would have been a nice option. I might explore a little more. I think the old sonar you could customize how the tools work within the piano roll editor, so I thought about trying that. I prefer the one tool to add/delete/l and drag midi clips (along with velocity per midi note). work flow is so much nicer that way instead of constantly switching between tools.

I supose most people dont work the way I do though, and actually record in their playing, as opposed to hand building everything. :)

tclark
    • Total Posts : 1525
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/09 17:33:22 (permalink)
    I'm so glad that you guys have responded! Genuinely just brought a smile to my face! :-D

Ecamburn, that's the one - Freeky I am :-) Or was... I tend to do more recording these days but I still enjoy composing the odd bit here and there! The problem has been for me that I'm pretty much all mac now (whenever I try to use my PC it just angers me :-p) and I couldn't get P5 to work properly either on my Windows 7 laptop or running XP on my mac. I have to say I miss it! I guess that's why I came back to the P5 forum - because I miss you guys! :-)

I'm glad to hear that you've all been keeping busy! I still have the 'Dallas Video Fest 06 - When P5 Ruled The World' album! :-D Listening to it now lol... I really don't know what I was thinking about my entry... so weird! With clips from the late Steve Irwin too... But I'm really enjoying the originality in this album. Something I always wondered was why there seemed to be very few people with vocals on their tracks... now I realise it's because that's not what P5 is about! It's about proper, intuitive sequencing and about enhancing synthesized sound and creating huge soundscapes in little time!

I've moved away from Sonar (I have 7 PE) simply because my course uses Pro Tools and Logic and that's what I had/have to mix on... I think it's a shame because when compared to Sonar, PT and Logic are such rigid interfaces! I love the way that you can route anything anywhere! You don't have to mess around with specific track-types and ensure that you have all of your track-typing etiquette in order before you can mix. You just DO it. And I found that was the case with P5 - an attitude of not faffing around with formalities but just getting down to it, get your idea down and flesh it out; worry about mixing and fine details later!

if anyone was interested I do have a soundcloud page (to which I occasionally upload things) with some recordings on. Feel free to check it out - I'm going to check out all of yours! :-) http://soundcloud.com/timclark0000

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/10 00:34:51 (permalink)
    I'm still here.  Haven't had a lot of time for music in a while, though.
    Rosco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/12 17:56:27 (permalink)
    Still pop by from time to time, P5 will always be my 'first love' as a DAW, and still use it now and again, although as I now have an iMac Logic is now my main DAW. Cake missed a beat when they dropped P5, but when P5's main man left,,,
    Also this was the best forum bar none, you always got help when asked for, try that on most other forums.
    Still, I for one will always keep the P5 faith and pop by here as long as the forum lasts.
    Love to all
    Rosco

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/13 11:05:59 (permalink)

to get any job following graduation is an accomplishment these days; to get one in a field you studied and may actually enjoy is really quite rare.
      Congratulations.

what time I have to look into music these days is spent studying/learning jazz standards. I haven't output a project in quite a while.

e0nic
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/14 18:38:56 (permalink)
    Not sure if I count as a user from the good ol days but ill show p5 some love since its done so much for my odd little music. 
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/21 12:43:43 (permalink)
    Yeah, baby - P5 reunion tour!!!

OK, uhhh, yeah - where was I?  I was always more of a Sonar user and that's still my main DAW, although PT9 gets a ton of use for audio tracking/mixing.  I hadn't opened P5 for quite some until I upgraded to 64-bit W7 last week and played around with it for a while to make sure it was working OK.  I almost forgot what a nice and efficient DAW it is.  Anyway, good to see the ol' gang back together.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/21 23:02:56 (permalink)
    I'm SOOOO there! LOL   Reunion tour indeed! LOL

<<  just like the location tag says!  ORIGINAL baby!

oh... wait...

Now it's original! HAHAH!

post edited by Digital Aura - 2011/06/21 23:06:05
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/23 07:20:44 (permalink)
    Baaaa! Dunno why just thought I'd click on the old link and found this thread.

Wow was Dallas Video Fest really five years ago! Ahh the good ol' days.

Good to read how everyone is doing.

Still messing with things (mostly piano practice on my Yamaha P-155) but have a serious case of writers block or is that commitment issues (?).

Anyone heard from Blip aka USB?

Oh yes, and where is miserable antisocial git Phil?
    AT
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/23 10:53:49 (permalink)
    Blip was around on the song forums a while back cranking out music.  I havent been there for months, but give it a try.

Nothing about Phil in years.  Is the P5 alt site still around?  I've lost the address when my old computer died.

@

And yea, it is nice to hear from everybody.  Gives on a good feeling like a high-school reunion.

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/23 11:25:08 (permalink)
    Hi @,

The 'Fugees forum went to www.willclifton.com, but I think Wilbur had a few work issues because of it so it was moved to...

http://www.project5radio.org/forum/index.php

Can't tell how active it is as there's some really old last posts and then some new ones which might be because of this thread.

Has Brock been excommunicated, I cant find him on this site anymore?
    AT
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/23 14:56:09 (permalink)
    No, Tom pops up when there's a difficult question on the synths.  Not often, but he still counts when it matters.

@

maxthecat
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 647
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/29 23:55:44 (permalink)
    Very cool thread. Its hard to believe its been 6 years since I first joined this forum and started using P5. Great to see all the names of you guys who helped me so much back in my novice days. I remember when I started out back in 2005 using P5 with zero knowledge and how open everyone was to helping me unravel the mysteries of P5. I still use it, more as a scratch pad for ideas, its still the best if you just wanted to throw samples/loops to gather just to check out combinations. I use Sonar to compose mostly now but have many fond memories of all the helpful threads and feedback you all supplied and the general commaraderie. I haven't been posting work much here in a long while but just put 5 new tunes up online and as always an open to feedback. Several need some tweaks granted but thought I'd post them anyway.

Cheers everyone,

Maxthecat
    wetdentist
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1129
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/30 15:53:48 (permalink)
    i miss using p5 as a scratch pad, as Sonar X1 x64 isn't as "easy" for this.  but i grew to dislike having 32 bit programs and 32 bit plugins cluttering up my system (only exception is Kore).  however, now that Maschine has Vst support, that is more like Project 5 than anything i've come across

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/06/30 21:00:19 (permalink)
    I'd been a P5 user since the original version, which was several years before I joined Cakewalk. Back then on the P5 forum I went by the handle, 'LionSound'.

It's good to see some old faces again.

It was a sad day for me, personally, when we officially ceased development of P5. The writing was on the wall, and sadly, there was nothing I could do to save it. In a lot of ways, though, P5's spirit lives on in SONAR with the Arpeggiator, Matrix View, Step Sequencer, Browser, etc.

I know there's some different workflows in SONAR when it comes to MIDI editing and the way clips are handled, but I for one will be harassing our devs to integrate that sort of workflow into SONAR. I can't promise it will actually happen, but I'll be prodding them every chance I get.

Also ...

@tclark That's so awesome that you're now working in the industry and were inspired to do so because of these boards. Congrats and super cool!

@:10: You can use the Smart Tool in X1 to do everything in the PRV, and there is no need to configure it or switch tools like you had to in 8.5 or before. For example, Left Click selects, Right Click erases, Alt Left Click draws, Alt Right Click mutes, Alt Left click over a note splits, Ctrl Right Click opens the note's properties, etc. Its actually pretty slick. :-)

SP
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/07/02 05:26:20 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

I know there's some different workflows in SONAR when it comes to MIDI editing and the way clips are handled, but I for one will be harassing our devs to integrate that sort of workflow into SONAR. I can't promise it will actually happen, but I'll be prodding them every chance I get.

I would suggest that 'whacking with a big stick' will probably be more successful than 'prodding'.

My biggest issue with X1 (other than the still omitted 'replace synth' option!) is the size of the GUI, it just seems much larger than in the previous version...I have a dual monitor setup but it still seems that there is a lack of screen space for the tracks, in particular.

As for P5: I did install it on W7, but I can't say that I will use it anymore...Studio One and Reason/Record are my apps of choice these days and unfortunately, P5 just seems lacking in comparison now.
    zsn123
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/07/17 22:55:18 (permalink)
    SynthBum
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/07/29 18:00:04 (permalink)
    I think P5 version 2 is sill the best DAW ever. Even on my new laptop Asus with i7 processor, it won't crash wheres my X1 I finally figured out why it crashes you have to start by scratch again after updating. X1 is a learning curve and a learning experiance but now im getting use to it more this time.
    post edited by SynthBum - 2011/08/01 02:28:13
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/08/04 14:22:29 (permalink)
    I'm still kickin' around too. Moved houses, setup my new studio after painting it matte black,  built a new 6-core I7 beastly studio machine and now running Windows 7 64 bit, bought new DSM3 reference monitors so the Monitor One's are now surround-rears. Got Furman power conditioners; running S/PDIF to the DSM3's and that seems a little more sensitive to the odd click/pop or RF interference. About time I dropped using all those cheap power cord extensions, splitters. The house move stole a wack of time from me, but I'm ready to go on new material. Just bought Z3ta+v2 so that should help some with inspiration.

Using Sonar X1b right now, but am one of the people experiencing unpredictable and non-reproduceable crashes - particularly when working on older tunes. Hoping X1c finally puts those to rest.

Haven't found a similar community to this one anywhere yet. Am on SoundCloud, EM411 and SoundClick, but they're so big and impersonal you don't get that up-close (albeit virtual) contact with the same people day after day. [sigh] And Cakewalk's song forum is full of southern US rockers and religious-types. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But my sometimes heavy electronics just doesn't fit that scene. Wish they'd split that forum up into guitar-based/audio-recording and electronics-based/virtual-tracking, or some such.

Anyway, nice to "see" some familiar faces 'round here. :)

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/08/04 22:21:10 (permalink)
    Hey you guys!

Coming from Sonar, I was never an avid P5 user, but a few days ago I was working on a project and had a track that was too bright and upfront, and thought the P5 Tempo Delay would be perfect for it since it always tends to make stuff a bit duller. I was also missing the grainy character of the StudioVerb (for some reason, Sonar's DSP-FX  plugs don't run anymore in my PC). So I decided to install P5 v2.5 in my DAW just for the damn plugins.

I'm still running Sonar 7PE - I haven't upgraded my DAW since 2007, neither the PC nor the software. These days I use Sonar mostly as a multitrack recorder, with the bundled plugins plus a few more old ones. I don't use softsynths, I just jam on my hardware synths, overdub tracks, add a few effects, and that's it. When I look at Kev's PC specs, I feel quite outdated.

I'm also seriously addicted to modular synths - so much that I've sold most non-modular stuff. My music has definitely changed because of it (and probably not for the better). 

The reason I stopped by was because I read somewhere that Z3ta+ 2 had been released (not that I plan to buy it), but these days I hang around MuffWiggler's forum mostly - a very nice community of modular users.

Keep on doin' it.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/08/14 23:31:42 (permalink)
    I'm around. My third album "This Earth" is at agincourtdb.bandcamp.com (download) and https://www.createspace.com/1961482 (physical)

I'm also recording and mixing a choir-and-orchestra project for a friend's church using Sonar X1 Producer.

Nice to see everyone. I miss this community. If I ever start a fourth album, it'll still be in P5. Which just goes to show you how shortsighted Cake's decision to stop development was.

HiThere
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/08/20 05:28:12 (permalink)
    Hi, all! Good to see the old faces (uh, nicknames). I am not composing much, after spending 2K last year on recording 3 songs and making (so far, hehe) a total of 5 cents thru spins on Internet sites. Got 200+ fans on jango.com but not one iTunes download. Welcome to the music biz, son!

Anyway, P5 is awesome, and will probably remain my one and only DAW for years to come. Why bother with something else, when for me P5 does it all short of cooking a dinner :)
    ggg
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re:Project 5 Users from the 'good ol days' 2011/08/25 11:41:01 (permalink)
    Still around here. Using X1, wishing for P5 ease but... can't look back too often. Hope all are well.

It was all so different, before everything changed...

Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, CW Synths+++, HP Pavilion Laptop dv7t Quad i7 3610, 16g, .75t hybrid drive, W10 64bit

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1