Project 5 start-up : nothing works !

Author
lanstrad
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
2005/06/06 12:21:36 (permalink)

Project 5 start-up : nothing works !

Just received, unpacked and installed Project 5 v.2 (I never used P5 before, although I am a long time CW and Sonar user).

Although I made what I imagine can be called a "full install" (all options, including DIMENSION), restarted system after, and so on... :

At startup, it's OK but as soon as I try to open up one of the included projects, P5 launches a myriad of messages about missing Dxi and other parts, then the audio engine encounter a problem and averything seems to freeze...

System :
P IV 1.6 Ghz, 768 MB RAM
Win XP SP2
Sonar 4 Producer
Frontier Design Dakota on WDM drivers
Midisport 8x8 USB MIDI interface
02R v2 mixing board

Any insights ?

Thanks,
Rob

9 Replies Related Threads

Mididreamer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 13:33:42 (permalink)
    Hi,

Congratulations with a fine software program. Bummer that you have to wait a little longer

Try to find an install.txt file in your project 5. Version 2 directory. I gives you a lot of information about the place and directories which are made. Also check if you have permission to use the files because Administrator rights are probably needed.
    Did you run the VST adapter? (is it the same version as Sonar?).

Good luck

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
    Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 13:57:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lanstrad

Just received, unpacked and installed Project 5 v.2 (I never used P5 before, although I am a long time CW and Sonar user).

Although I made what I imagine can be called a "full install" (all options, including DIMENSION), restarted system after, and so on... :

At startup, it's OK but as soon as I try to open up one of the included projects, P5 launches a myriad of messages about missing Dxi and other parts, then the audio engine encounter a problem and averything seems to freeze...

Bummer! It’s always frustrating when an installation goes awry. I had a few problems installing from the DVDs but if that went smoothly for you, it’s probably just a bad install. Before you pull too many hairs out, uninstall and reinstall. Make sure you shut down any background programs like virus checkers, popup and spam blockers, everything that can be shut down on your task bar. That way you will have the best chance of avoiding any conflicts. If you noticed any weirdness installing from the DVDs, there’s a fix for that, too.

Good Luck!

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 14:21:11 (permalink)

mostly i think we need to avoid that attitude that if it works in 50,000 other cases, what's wrong with you! i find that really annoying.

i did call Dell Tech support redirected to Bangalore and the phone support fellow suggested I turn my system off for a day or two and and see if that helped. That was also very annoying.

i would follow mike's advice (now that i know mikey has a Dell X?? notebook, I just don't feel right about calling him mikey) and if that doesn't work get on the phone to Cakewalk tech support.

The fact that DXi could not be found would indicate to me some sort of pathing problem (installed or run out of unexpected folder) or hard drive glitch

as a sanity check you may want to run the Sandra benchmarks on a few parts of your system just to check

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=downandbuy&langx=en&a=

this will give your fore brain something to do while your back brain figures out what went wrong

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 14:35:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

i did call Dell Tech support redirected to Bangalore and the phone support fellow suggested I turn my system off for a day or two and and see if that helped.

Hahaha...that is just too funny! Jesus! If it isn't on their little check list of answers then most 'tech' support people are utterly screwed. As I am an owner of a Dell laptop, I hope that I am never in the situation where I have to call tech support, I don't think I would be able to keep calm if someone gave me a suggestion like that...
    Mididreamer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 14:38:03 (permalink)
    Is it a clean install or do you have other musical programs installed ?
    I saw your problems with other DXi's

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
    Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 14:43:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

i did call Dell Tech support redirected to Bangalore and the phone support fellow suggested I turn my system off for a day or two and and see if that helped. That was also very annoying.

I do hope you're joking? Please? I lost my hard drive on my first Dell by following the directions of Indian Guide Habib as he read from his manual. I might have had better luck channeling Houdini.

i would follow mike's advice (now that i know mikey has a Dell X?? notebook, I just don't feel right about calling him mikey) and if that doesn't work get on the phone to Cakewalk tech support.

No notebook here. It's a Dell Dimension XPS_Gen2 desktop If you turn it back on shortly after shutdown, its aux fans come on with an alarming swooosh, like some odd blue canister vac!
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/06/06 15:12:52

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    wrench45us
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 14:50:29 (permalink)
    I am not joking about that Dell support response and yes I was steaming already from SP2 install problems (all caused by my own pig-headedness). I said something to the effect that I had no reason to believe that turning things off for a few days would work. The response to that was, "You'd be surprised."
    That pushed it into some post-absurd post-modern world. I said something to the effect that yes that would surprise me what also surprised me was that the fellow on the other end of the phone had a job.
    I haven't had reason to call them again -- and maybe that's really their goal.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,39189180,00.htm
    Dell XPS-Gen2 notebook

post edited by wrench45us - 2005/06/06 14:53:37

lanstrad
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 16:05:43 (permalink)
    Ok... uninstalled, then reinstalled. Indeed, it works (well later on what I mean by "it works"...), from Admin profile, but same problem under my XP User profile. How do you give permission ? (Sorry, no such things with Sonar...)

Now, it works (under Admin) means:

1) I can launch the program without anoying search for 25 references nor crash of the audio engine.

2) I can open a file (File 1 in tutorials) and run it...

3) When I can find the way to "hear" something, it will be much better... ;-) (Maybe my reference to Sonar 4, but how the hell do I select outputs for different tracks ??...)

System : P4, 1.6 Ghz, 768 MB RAM
    Win XP - SP2
    SONAR 4 Producer
    Frontier Design Dakota
    wrench45us
    RE: Project 5 start-up : nothing works ! 2005/06/06 16:09:42 (permalink)

you need to give your self (your xp logon user) administrator rights

by setting that user as a maber of the Administrator Group

Control Settings | User Rights | Properties for your user
    and set yourself as mamber of the administrator group

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1