Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live

Author
capishe@hotmail.com
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
2005/06/13 01:08:29 (permalink)

Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live

Anyoneone using both? Which one do you prefer, and why?

12 Replies Related Threads

DigiDis
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 03:31:40 (permalink)
    I was moments away from buying P5 V2 after a good trial with the demo, but I decided to try the Live4 demo just once before I committed. Here's my overall evaluation.

P5 V2- technologically superior to Live4. Has PDC, the arpeggiator, great softsynths (even though I couldn't try Dimension), device chaining, and the list goes on. Interesting midi capabilities. Great price.

Live4- simple, elegant, easy workflow. I found Live to be less obtrusive during the compositional process and I found myself diving into the music more and forgetting about the software. What I later discovered is that Live has some great audio manipulation capabilities. Midi is bare essential stuff only. Hefty price.

In the end, I realized I am part of the trend that is moving more toward simplified music production. I was first interested in P5 just because I was growing tired of Sonar's complexity (ironically, I initially chose Cakewalk over Cubase because of the better workflow). But this time I chose Ableton Live over P5 V2. Even though it costs double, I felt more into the music and less into the software. Also, I am more audio biased than midi biased, which had a big impact in my decision.

Interestingly, Live just announced Live5, which basically enables them to catch up to P5 V2. It remains to be seen if the growing complexity will eventually ruin the simplicity of Live.

Note to Cakewalk marketing. As a longtime customer of Cakewalk since ProAudio9 through Sonar 4PE, I am sorry to admit I bought a competing product. I now want my music composition to be very similar to riding a bicycle. In short, I want my full attention to be on the road and to not have to dedicate attention to mechanical details. A superior bicycle will include novel technologies that make the bicycle more powerful and functional while enabling the rider to concentrate even more on the road. I think you still have this advantage with Sonar over Cubase, but not yet with P5. Please pull P5 in this direction.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 04:27:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DigiDis

Note to Cakewalk marketing. As a longtime customer of Cakewalk since ProAudio9 through Sonar 4PE, I am sorry to admit I bought a competing product. I now want my music composition to be very similar to riding a bicycle. In short, I want my full attention to be on the road and to not have to dedicate attention to mechanical details. A superior bicycle will include novel technologies that make the bicycle more powerful and functional while enabling the rider to concentrate even more on the road. I think you still have this advantage with Sonar over Cubase, but not yet with P5. Please pull P5 in this direction.

I think you need to elaborate on this with specific examples of where, in your opinion, Live does this and P5 doesn't. I have tried Live and am struggling to think of anything in it (or in P5) that fits comfortably into your analogy and it wouldn't surprise me if Cakewalk were left in the same position should they read this...
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 05:52:04 (permalink)
    i use both.
    i think i prefer Project 5 for the simple fact that it is more "fun" for me to use than Live.
    I write more now with P5 ver. 2 and with the groove matrix i can change my music on the fly depending on MY mood (or my perception of my listener's mood..).
    P5 supports VST's VSTi's and Direct X. Ableton only supports Vst's VSTi's and their own built-in audio efffects.

P5 Has Cyclone, Psyn II, DS864, nPULSE, Velocity, the Roland Groove Synth, and DIMENSION!
    Ableton Live only has Impulse, and Simpler, unless you want to pay another $149.00 USD to Unlock Operator.

Dimension Kicks Operators Behind BTW (IMHO).

P5 Has Freeze...Now!!!
    Live does not.

P5 has vastly better midi implimentation.
    Live, well...the less said, the better.

For me, it's no contest.
    P5.
    It gets the Job Done.
    Period.
    anyone else?

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    capishe@hotmail.com
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 07:40:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for your feedback:-)
    DigiDis
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 07:53:01 (permalink)
    I think you need to elaborate on this with specific examples of where, in your opinion, Live does this and P5 doesn't. I have tried Live and am struggling to think of anything in it (or in P5) that fits comfortably into your analogy and it wouldn't surprise me if Cakewalk were left in the same position should they read this...

Let me try, but it will be difficult as I recently changed computers and no longer have Project 5's demo for reference, so I will have to rely on memory. Also, for background, I am a guitar player that dabbles with keyboards. My focus has always been on composition and improvisation, and much less on production. Until P5 V2 came out I was dedicated to Sonar as my sequencer and Kontakt and a few soft synths like Z3TA and Pentagon provided additional sounds. When P5 V2 came out I suddenly realized the potential of parallel composition by using the groove matrix. No longer tied to linear, serial composition, I was immediately hooked. Like I said before, I just had to try Live before I committed.

Back to the question, what I personally liked more about the workflow in Live4. Recording into groove clips while in session view. Get the scene going, arm the track and click the clip and go. When the recording is done I just place the clip's loop markers to cover the bars I want and its done. No Arrangement view recording, cut the clip, drag it into session view, and remember to turn on looping. Then I discovered that I should continue recording multiple takes and then variations all right there in session view, all at the same time. This way all I had to do was copy the clip to a new slot and change the loop markers and voila! unique variations.

I also personally preferred the Live interface. Everything's there but not in the way. I also remember that with P5 you could mix and match between the groove matrix and the arrangement view. Cool, but I was always running into situations where an arrangement track was playing when I wanted a groove clip and I'd have to remember to switch a direction button to get back. Little minor things like that and searching for this and that distracted me. Remember, this is a personal experience and your mileage may vary.

Since I use Kontakt a lot for drums, bass guitar and synths, I usually load all into Kontakt and run 1 instance. Although I figured out how to use multi-out instruments in P5 with the track layers, it got too confusing to use multiple clips with 1 instance of Kontakt and resorted to using 3 or more instances of Kontakt. Anyone ever figure out how to do this? With Live I found I could easily just make different tracks for each instrument and then route the midi to the track that housed Kontact and just select the instrument's midi channel. From there I could make infinite numbers of midi groove clips and not get lost in routing.

Other minor inconveniences, I like punch in/punch out recording but didn't see it in P5.

OK, now that I hopefully answered the question, I want to point out that I am not, at all, saying Live is better than P5. In fact, I think P5 V2 was a serious grand slam home run for Cakewalk and I can only imagine whats cooking for V3. Its technologically far more advanced than Live, comes loaded with useful soft synths, (Live's Operator, Simpler and Impulse are jokes) has better midi implementation and has a much more progressive and powerful development team behind it.

I just felt odd extolling the virtues of a competing product. However, I am a senior marketing consultant and understand that my product buying decisions are useful for their market planning. I just happen to be part of a growing group of home musicians who are searching for simplicity instead of more bells and whistles. Maybe this is why softwares such as Live, Tracktion and EnergyXT as becoming so popular.

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 10:36:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DigiDis

Back to the question, what I personally liked more about the workflow in Live4. Recording into groove clips while in session view. Get the scene going, arm the track and click the clip and go. When the recording is done I just place the clip's loop markers to cover the bars I want and its done. No Arrangement view recording, cut the clip, drag it into session view, and remember to turn on looping. Then I discovered that I should continue recording multiple takes and then variations all right there in session view, all at the same time. This way all I had to do was copy the clip to a new slot and change the loop markers and voila! unique variations.

Yeah, the chop, acidise then drop thing that you have to do in P5 at the moment is not the best, but I expect that this will be looked at in a future update as a few others have raised this issue around here. As I never use anything other than softsynths this hasn't ever been a problem for me...

I also personally preferred the Live interface. Everything's there but not in the way. I also remember that with P5 you could mix and match between the groove matrix and the arrangement view. Cool, but I was always running into situations where an arrangement track was playing when I wanted a groove clip and I'd have to remember to switch a direction button to get back. Little minor things like that and searching for this and that distracted me. Remember, this is a personal experience and your mileage may vary.

True, this is very subjective, as I prefer the interface of P5 I didn't particularly like the way you had to use the same browser for loops, vsts etc. Plus changing softsynths seemed more convoluted in Live than it does in P5. The other issue I have with Live is that the Arrange and Session views are too separate and this where I think P5 did a good job by keeping them both very integrated. In the end, as you point out, it just comes down to personal preference...

Since I use Kontakt a lot for drums, bass guitar and synths, I usually load all into Kontakt and run 1 instance. Although I figured out how to use multi-out instruments in P5 with the track layers, it got too confusing to use multiple clips with 1 instance of Kontakt and resorted to using 3 or more instances of Kontakt. Anyone ever figure out how to do this? With Live I found I could easily just make different tracks for each instrument and then route the midi to the track that housed Kontact and just select the instrument's midi channel. From there I could make infinite numbers of midi groove clips and not get lost in routing.

Not really sure about this problem...I have used GPO without having any difficulty using it multitimbrally. Just set up a layer for each midi channel you need and use the midi clips on the appropriate layer...unless I am misunderstanding you. It seems pretty simple in P5...never tried it in Live.

Other minor inconveniences, I like punch in/punch out recording but didn't see it in P5.

OK, now that I hopefully answered the question, I want to point out that I am not, at all, saying Live is better than P5. In fact, I think P5 V2 was a serious grand slam home run for Cakewalk and I can only imagine whats cooking for V3. Its technologically far more advanced than Live, comes loaded with useful soft synths, (Live's Operator, Simpler and Impulse are jokes) has better midi implementation and has a much more progressive and powerful development team behind it.

Never interpreted it as 'Cakewalk sucks, Ableton rules' kinda thing I tend to avoid debates like that because they rarely lead anywhere good and I am not an acolyte of any particular software...I just happen to use Sonar and P5. However, I would have no qualms about moving to another sequencer if I found one that worked better for me.

I just felt odd extolling the virtues of a competing product. However, I am a senior marketing consultant and understand that my product buying decisions are useful for their market planning. I just happen to be part of a growing group of home musicians who are searching for simplicity instead of more bells and whistles. Maybe this is why softwares such as Live, Tracktion and EnergyXT as becoming so popular.

I could be nitpicky and say you should have included P5v2 in that list but I won't (oops! Just did!)

I am a registered owner of T2, but don't use it and won't unless there is some serious improvement in certain areas...if it happens then I will check it out. I can see why so many people like it though. I would take issue with the EnergyXT and simplicity statement though, as I have a full licence for that (from being a Massiva owner) and I can't get comfortable with it at all...in fact, I would say it is one of the least simple sequencers around, but that's just me!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 10:58:46 (permalink)
    at one time energyXT was simple, but it did about 1/3 of what it does now. it's popularity has to do with the responsivenesss and creativity of its developer, its community of users, its low low, very affordable entry price, and some committment to trying to keep all those new features simple and easy to use

Tracktion has frittered away much of the enthusiams of its users -- again the low entry price, and simplicity, but this last version has disappointed many.

P5 has actually increased the enthusiam of its user community and many of us are of the belief that the management team at Cakewalk continues to be responsive and focused and will evolve the product in response to the features and ease of use of competitive products like Live and its user community.

For a certain workflow model, Live may have some real advantages over P5, but they started from very different places. P5's midi implementation is what sold me then and now. What I have gathered from the kvr forums and here, is that Ableton has some real advantages with a lot of guitar players who want backing tracks and some flexibility in creating those backing tracks. If you check the Sonar forum (or the Sonar-dominated Song forum) the impression I get is that Sonar users are overwhelmingly guitar players.
    THis makes some sense to me as capturing the subtleties and nuances of guitar sound is really a job for audio recording and hasn't been synthesized very well up to now. Most of the P5 songs I hear on this board don't have audio guitar work (except for Andy's)
    So maybe Cakewalk is just beginning to market P5 to that wide world of guitar players. Just a thought. I'm sure P5 product/project leader, Jesse Jost, as a guitar player has given this some thought. (and, of course, the multi-talented b-rock's guitar chops are legendary, if unfortunately unknown)
    post edited by wrench45us - 2005/06/13 11:01:47

Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 11:15:10 (permalink)
    So maybe Cakewalk is just beginning to market P5 to that wide world of guitar players. Just a thought. I'm sure P5 product/project leader, Jesse Jost, as a guitar player has given this some thought.

Of course what we actuall need is a tutorial, "how to use P5 to make guitar based music". I'll bet most guitarists haven't the faintest idea on how to do it in P5, it "just looks wrong to them".

Hmm time for a new thread...

Andy
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 11:27:29 (permalink)

this would seem to be a topic that b-rock could/should really dig into
    but he's of in what passes for wilderness in upstate New York

but this is certainly something you could push ahead with -- just with how you've used it in a few of your projects
    I'm sure Mod Bod may have some ideas as well

as well as other recent Sonar users picking P5 up
    we'd get the Sonar guitar users perspective

Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 11:30:38 (permalink)
    but this is certainly something you could push ahead with

See my other thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=491732

I'm not the best tutor, but there you go....

Andy
    dgkenney
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 13:44:57 (permalink)
    Late to the party as usual...

Here's my opinion...

Live and P5V2 may look similar at a first glance. The Session Clips and Groove Matrix help give this impression. They are NOT very much alike at all. The key to understanding their respective strengths is to remember from whence they sprang. Live --> Audio P5 --> Midi.

Live can't touch P5V2's soft synths, arpegiator and midi pattern abilities
    P5V2 can't touch Live's audio clips, warping or routing

If budget allows the best solution on the planet (IMHO) is P5V2 rewired into Live as host. It's the best of both worlds and a composition/improv dream.

Dan
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Project 5 ver. 2 vs Ableton Live 2005/06/13 14:04:04 (permalink)
    later than everyone else. I cop to being a guitar player for the last 25 years or so, and I looked at Live and it confused the hell out of me, so I don't think its a guitar player thing at all, its just what makes sense to the particular person.
    A drummer on the other hand, can't understand most anything at all, right?
    OK, OK you know that list bit was a joke!!!!!!!!!!

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1