Project 5 vs Live

Author
Nathan Knight
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
2005/08/05 16:38:15 (permalink)

Project 5 vs Live

I'm new to Project 5 Version 2. I'm very interested in it but a studio owner friend of mine told me that Ableton Live is better...and that Project 5 is in essence a replica of Live. Since I'm at the very beginning stages of considering Project 5 (I've been a Cakewalk/Sonar user for 10 years)...and I don't have all that much time to learn new programs, I wanted to ask you all about the benefits of Project 5 (and maybe Live).

This studio friend of mine has recently switched to only using Live for all his recording (even ballads and band-style) productions. Do you guys use Project 5 that religiously? I'd be very happy to hear of how people use Project 5 alongside Sonar...or if P5 is sort of meant to be an all-in-one application?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

19 Replies Related Threads

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 16:54:00 (permalink)
    Hi Nathan, and welcome to our little enclave,
    I use both P5 and Live, together (via rewire) and separately and find them both very useful.
    I think it would probably be a good idea if you download the demo's to both from here (P5 ver. 2) and here (Ableton Live Ver. 5).
    They are both fun to use, the operative word being Fun!!!
    Good Luck and HTH
    -MDK
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/08/05 16:59:56

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    ZuN
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 17:07:59 (permalink)
    You know I went through a similar situation i needed a car It was either Toyota or Honda, everyone told me how great honda's were and so reliable and easy to maintain, it wasn't till I got into these vehicles and test drove them that i decided that the Toyota was more fun & comfortable to drive, so i wound up with the Toyota.

Now I think you need to test drive both p5 and Live, and see which suits YOUR workflow, and not your studio owner friend, afterall you are going to be the one using it.

Both of these apps work differently but both accomplish the same thing, For me personally i just couldn't get into Live when I tried it i did not like its workflow one bit, I actually downloaded the demo for Version 5 and it still didn't click for me, but I don't know if it was me comming from a Cakewalk background, but P5 was sooo much easier to work with and I was able to get results quicker.

Now one thing i've read in this forum and others is that P5 rewired to LIVE make a fantastic enviroment, but since i don't really work with audio loops It really doesn't benefit me, i'm quite productive with P5 by itself.

So in all honesty set 2 weeks aside and give each app a week and see what suits your style and workflow the best.
    ZuN
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 18:05:41 (permalink)
    check the link in this thread for a P5v2 article at sonicstate.com
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 20:30:35 (permalink)

if you intend to do a lot of recording
    This studio friend of mine has recently switched to only using Live for all his recording

bear in mind that P5 can record only one stereo channel

lots of recording you may want to look into Tracktion or Sonar or Live

SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 20:53:30 (permalink)
    I tried the Live 5 demo last night and I was impressed with the audio recording features. I could record and drag and drop audio on the fly without even so much as a click or pop. I found that really conducive to keeping the creative flow actually flowing. I played for nearly 2 hours without stopping the transport. I also liked some of the audio editing features that I'd like to see project 5 include like setting loop points on audio tracks in the editor window and the ability to open the wave editor right from the clip edit window. The user interface and synths were not all that helpful or interesting and there is nothing close to the variety of synth choices that P5 offers. I also felt like Live's UI was made for people who already have magnifying lenses for eyeballs. Much too small. I also didn't like Live's File Browser and have yet to figure out how their preview function works...

Please Cakewalk, spend some more time on making the audio workflow in P5 as easy and beautiful as the synths and the midi.
    dgkenney
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 21:30:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

I use both P5 and Live, together (via rewire) and separately and find them both very useful.

They are both fun to use, the operative word being Fun!!!
    Good Luck and HTH
    -MDK

I echo MDK's assessment. They are both great programs.

The best advice has already been given - namely, download the demo's and see which one matches your needs and workstyle.

The only hint I can give you (and it is biased by my assessment which may be of little to no value for YOU) is that if you lean more to midi go P5V2...if you lean more towards audio -> Live.

Or...you can rob a bank and do what I do which is P5V2 and Live 5 rewired.

Dan
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/05 23:15:50 (permalink)
    With Sonar!!!!

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/12 02:28:21 (permalink)
    Wow, I didn't know I got any answers to this thread, I must not have asked for it to notify me. Thanks everyone for the good insight.

I have both demos, and I'm trying them out...but my time is minimal to learn new programs. I'm curious to know more about how you re-wire these 2 (P5V2 and Live) together...which is host and which one you use for what, etc? Does re-wiring these 2 together rule out rewiring P5V2 or Live into Sonar?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    wz061s
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 385
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/12 03:52:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nathan Knight

Wow, I didn't know I got any answers to this thread, I must not have asked for it to notify me. Thanks everyone for the good insight.

I have both demos, and I'm trying them out...but my time is minimal to learn new programs. I'm curious to know more about how you re-wire these 2 (P5V2 and Live) together...which is host and which one you use for what, etc? Does re-wiring these 2 together rule out rewiring P5V2 or Live into Sonar?

Thanks,
    Nathan

You can only rewire two apps at a time, because an application cant be a slave and a master at the same time.

The logical way to rewire p5v2 and Live together is with live as the master. That plays to the audio strenths of Live, and the MIDI strengths of P5.
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/12 21:12:04 (permalink)
    The logical way to rewire p5v2 and Live together is with live as the master. That plays to the audio strenths of Live, and the MIDI strengths of P5.
    I use 2 DAWs in my studio, one for Sonar and the 2nd for GigaStudio and other soft synth stuff. If I were to have P5V2 running on the second machine to free the CPU on my Sonar machine for tracks/plugins...what would be the best way to "control" or sync up P5V2 to Sonar?

Also, if I had Sonar running on my main DAW (as master) and on the 2nd DAW I had LIve with P5V2 rewired...could those be controlled from Sonar?
    wz061s
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/16 03:00:38 (permalink)
    I use 2 DAWs in my studio, one for Sonar and the 2nd for GigaStudio and other soft synth stuff. If I were to have P5V2 running on the second machine to free the CPU on my Sonar machine for tracks/plugins...what would be the best way to "control" or sync up P5V2 to Sonar?

If the 2 PC's are on a 100MB or faster home network, you could use this for Audio and that for MIDI sync connection. Or instead link two audio and two midi interfaces together.

Also, if I had Sonar running on my main DAW (as master) and on the 2nd DAW I had LIve with P5V2 rewired...could those be controlled from Sonar?

I have never tried to slave Live via MIDI sync to Sonar while Live is acting as a rewire master. In fact, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it!

post edited by wz061s - 2005/08/16 03:09:00

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/16 10:22:18 (permalink)
    Can Live act as a Rewire slave? If so, you can rewire p5 and live as slaves into Sonar at the same time. I work with 1 host and 2 slaves all the time.

wz061s
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/16 19:36:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SuperGreenX

Can Live act as a Rewire slave? If so, you can rewire p5 and live as slaves into Sonar at the same time. I work with 1 host and 2 slaves all the time.

Yes, a Rewire master can have multiple slaves. However, Live sucks as a slave because all the VST's are disabled in that mode. You would first have to resample all MIDI tracks in LIVE to render all to audio, then Rewire and bounce to track in get the audio recorded into Sonar.

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/21 04:07:03 (permalink)
    Live sucks as a slave because all the VST's are disabled in that mode. You would first have to resample all MIDI tracks in LIVE to render all to audio, then Rewire and bounce to track in get the audio recorded into Sonar
    Does Live come with enough VSTs (out of the box) to make that an issue? P5V2 is like 2 and a half Gigs, right?--cuz of all the synths, but Live looks tiny?
    LabDog
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 913
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/21 05:18:18 (permalink)
    P5II is 3GB of program+synths, then there's extras on the disc; loops patterns and such...

LabDog

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/21 14:27:09 (permalink)
    Over 3gigs, that's a lot. Do you know how big Ableton's Live is (with all synths/vsts included)?
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/21 17:16:42 (permalink)

I'm about to try and put that very idea to work....plan was to have my copy of Sonar run on the main (audio/mixing) DAW, then have my copy of Cubase SX3 run on the second (synth/MIDI) DAW, slaved to MTC coming from Sonar, and have P5 rewired into Cubase. I suppose you could do this same idea with two copies of Sonar as well.

No idea if this is going to work reliably or not, though....seems like a LOT of things could go wrong.
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/21 21:22:43 (permalink)
    I've worked with 2 DAWs for many years now. My main DAW runs Sonar and my second DAW runs GigaStudio and other soft synth stuff. I've been using MIDIoverLAN for some years now and it works great to get GigaStudio to follow Sonar as if it were an external synth. I guess that might be a way to work with P5V2 (or Live)?

On a slightly different note, from what I've heard the Dimension synth is pretty good. I'm curious to know if it's so good that you could use it as your main source of sounds? I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue using GigaStudio (and many sample CDs loaded on my HDs) when there are so many soft synths out now.
    Nathan Knight
    RE: Project 5 vs Live 2005/08/23 13:24:20 (permalink)
    Hey there. I've been meaning to ask you a bit more about how you use Live and P5 together. I take it you rewire P5 into Live? What features of each do you use when working together like that?--and (if you don't mind), some basic details on your workflow.

Thanks!
    Nathan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1