Projects fail to open after recording tracks

Author
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
2016/08/24 23:18:15 (permalink)

Projects fail to open after recording tracks

I've had 4 projects so far that won't open anymore. All I get is the blank Sonar screen you see just after the you see the line move across in the transport window and just before the project is supposed open. I can click with the mouse all over that screen and can't even get it to white out. It's as if the screen is behind glass and I'm clicking on the glass. No drive activity indicating it's loading just a blank screen that you can only close from the task manager.
This is a big problem because all I am doing is either sending a track out to my preamp and compressor and recording it or just recording the normal way. The project works fine until I save and close it. Even if I save it as I record which I do it still happens. For now I made copies of all my other projects just in case. Luckily I have a backup of these projects but I lost what I did. There are no plugins involve just simple recording. I don't know what could cause such a thing. Never had this happen before. There is no way to recover the projects.
There is no support I can call or email. I sent an email on July 26th about something else and never heard a peep. The lack of support is not good when there is a serious issue.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.

9 Replies Related Threads

AntManB
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 05:42:27 (permalink)
    Things to try:

1. See if the project will open in "Safe Mode" (https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.42.html)
    2. Check that the audio data is intact (e.g. by opening in an external wave editor)
    3. Try saving a project to a different location (ideally a different drive)
    4. Post back here if none of the above provide any answers

My gut feeling is that it is an issue with your hard disk but it's hard to know without further information.

AMB

Mosvalve
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 08:06:46 (permalink)
    Thanks AntMAn,
    Opening the project in safe mode was the first thing I tried to no avail. Does the same thing.
    The audio does play in other players such as Windows media player so the tracks are ok.
    I copied the project folder to another location but that doesn't do anything. Obviously I can't do a save as or anything like that.
    It's definitely not the hard drive.
    All my other projects open and play fine. I just don't want to do any recording in them in fear of this happening.
    Before doing any recording I make a copy of the project just in case the project becomes corrupted but if it does all my work is for nothing. I could copy the audio tracks in a new project but they don't line up and will be a pain to line everything up. There is no obvious reason for this to happen. Maybe it's the update and I should roll back and see what happens. I will give that a shot tonight.
    appreciate all the suggestions that you can think of.
    Thanks

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 08:31:34 (permalink)
    Do you have a second PC to try this on? If so copy the files over and open it there and see if it loads.
    If the problem persists please upload the project to a share (with all the audio) and post a problem reporter CWBRN case number with the link in it. We can then see if we can repro it here.
    BTW support would probably not be able to assist much beyond these steps anyway. For problems like this the first step is to remove system dependencies.
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2016/08/25 08:53:18

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Mosvalve
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 08:43:29 (permalink)
    Do you have a second PC to try this on? If so copy the files over and open it there and see if it loads.
    If the problem persists please upload the project to a share (with all the audio) and post a problem reporter CWBRN case number with the link in it. We can then see if we can repro it here.
    BTW support would probably not be able to assist much beyond these steps anyway. For problems like this the first step is to remove system dependencies.

Thanks Noel. I don't have another PC but I am going to see if I can get to a friends house today and try loading it on his PC. Can you recommend a website that lets you upload projects? one of the projects is a little over 3gb.

BobV 

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 08:50:04 (permalink)
    Mosvalve
    Thanks Noel. I don't have another PC but I am going to see if I can get to a friends house today and try loading it on his PC. Can you recommend a website that lets you upload projects? one of the projects is a little over 3gb.

a 4GB (or greater) flash drive or even SD card would work...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 12:17:41 (permalink)
    It's not free, but Obedia.com has saved my butt a couple times with computer issues where the manufacturer's support would have been useless. The upside was after doing a remote desktop with them where they solved one particular problem, everything worked more smoothly.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Mosvalve
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 18:31:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Craig but I'm not having PC issues. My PC in working great. It's just the issue I described. I wasn't able to try and load it on a friends PC yet. Hopefully he will let me. He might think it will cause issues for him, we'll see. I want to also say that I normally record without the internet, fireswalls, anti virus etc  But it doesn't matter because it happened in both cases. I guess for now I'm at a standstill until I can try what Noel suggested. Not good.

BobV 

Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 20:02:10 (permalink)
    Mosvalve

Dropbox or google drive should work

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Mosvalve
    Re: Projects fail to open after recording tracks 2016/08/25 20:36:50 (permalink)
    Mosvalve

Dropbox or google drive should work

I have a dropbox account so I'll try that. Thanks

BobV 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1