Psychedelic Rock

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/03/17 09:32:40 (permalink)

Psychedelic Rock

There are a lot of things that many people categorize as psychedelic. To me, Syd Barret Pink Floyd is the epitome, with a few others that sort of define the genre for me. However, I think certain Lennon songs actually STARTED the psych movement in the 60s around the release of Sergeant Peppers.

Note - a lot of things are classified as psych that I would put more into garage rock - such as Wild Thing. I am specifically talking about trippy stuff.

So some of my fave psychedelic toons-->
Lucifer Sam - Pink Floyd
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds - The Beatles
See Emily Play - Pink Floyd
I am the Walrus - Beatles
Paint it Black - Stones
I had too much to dream last night - the Electric Prunes
Lies - the knickerbockers
Open My Eyes - the Nazz
Joiurney to the center of the mind - Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes
Incense and Pepperments - Strawberry Alarm Clock
Friday on my Mind - the Easybeats
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Atlantis - Donovan
Interstellar Overdrive - PF
Astronomy Domine - PF
Dear Mr Fantasy - Traffic
Sky Pilot - The Animals
Nature's Way - Spirit
Any thing off the Planet Gong Trilogy - Gong
And the gods made love - Hendrix

You get the gist.
That is my list.
Come on and be brave
Tell me your fave...

post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/03/17 09:33:14

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

32 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 09:52:33 (permalink)
    I'm a huge fan of Lennon, but isn't it chronologically true that his interest in pysch was inspired by people playing it live at the clubs? He may have printed an early record... but his inspiration came from the arts community that was off doing their thing while he was off perfecting a bar band sound.

You seen me mention this before... and my knowledge of this is more recent... so it's not like I remember it this way...

The 13th Floor elevators are the beginning of psychedelia.

When Roky Erikson, his philosophy professor Tommy Hall, and the boys showed up in San Fransisco with a bag of buttons and heads full of shamanistic mysticism the Bay area LSD crowd finally found the sense of spiritual cleaning they had been searching for. Prior to that tripping was an academic experiment of sorts with institutionalized experiential laboratories.

There was certainly an avid interest in altered states but it took the mystical interests of the philosophy department in Austin and their research on Native American mysticism to really catalyze, focus, and define the psychedelic experience.

It's a great tragedy that seemingly many people climbed on the bus and missed the whole spiritual thing... Or at least to me the tragedy is that they think they connected with the spiritual thing and now feel justified to act as if they are experienced.

FWIW, I was never a tripper... my natural state of mind seems like what most trippers seem to describe when they are out there... so that's more how I relate to the experience.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/03/17 09:57:10

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:01:55 (permalink)
    Tuxedomoon - Desire (this version is not as good as the album version, BTW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUfqXrUBnNg

absolutely stunning music for people that probably were mostly zonked at the time. Check out some other tracks as well, they are pretty unique, and predate quite a few people with some stuff they did.

to wit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ptNZu_EAMY&feature=related
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2009/03/17 10:04:45

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:05:50 (permalink)
    That's 12 years too late... that was the bathtub basin era.

space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:06:38 (permalink)
    You are right. Psych was out there but I think that SPLHCB came out just as the summer of love started and probably accelerated that genre of music.

13th Floor Elevators were good. I don't know why I left them off my list. Sort of like The United States of America.

By the way, XTC recorded an album under the name The Dukes of Stratosfear that was great modern psychedelic. I think it came out about 87. Your Gold Dress, My Love Explodes, Mole From The Ministry, Bike Ride To the Moon....

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:18:13 (permalink)
    That's 12 years too late... that was the bathtub basin era.

Obviously true, but it's actually the only real combi of 'psychedelic' and 'rock' that still works for me. The earlier stuff is just pretty silly doped-out hippyfourletterword. This is the shizz. And in the genre, actually very early, maybe 12 years.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:29:35 (permalink)
    timed post-expired

post edited by spacey - 2009/03/18 06:59:47
    space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:40:12 (permalink)
    True spacey - go back and look at movies like The Magic Christian (odd), Zachariah (odder) or Candy (oddest?)

But there are some classics in there. Lies and Friday on my Mind were great songs regardless of the era. Lucifer Sam and Astronomy Domine are definite preambles to what later Pink Floyd would become. Traffic and Spirit were great bands that outlived a brief period in rock music.

Dagnabbit I forgot
    Pitcures of Matchstick Men - Status Quo
    Something in the Air - Thunderclap Newman (but better done by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).

spacey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 10:57:30 (permalink)
    space- Traffic - Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory- I hadn't heard but was trippin in a store and bought because of the cover lol. That happened alot.

Santana -Abraxas
    Alice Cooper- "The telephone is ringing" album- I can't remember
    Deep Purple- Book of Talisyn (I still have the original album)

3 of my "don't leave home without them" choices.

Dark Side of The Moon while watching the Wizard of Oz - that was fun. From what I remember ya start the album when it goes to color er colour.

Very good memories attached to albums and visual media is what the real trip was about. Twas a good place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:00:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spacey

space- Traffic - Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory- I hadn't heard but was trippin in a store and bought because of the cover lol. That happened alot.

Santana -Abraxas
    Alice Cooper- "The telephone is ringing" album- I can't remember
    Deep Purple- Book of Talisyn (I still have the original album)

3 of my "don't leave home without them" choices.

Dark Side of The Moon while watching the Wizard of Oz - that was fun. From what I remember ya start the album when it goes to color er colour.

Very good memories attached to albums and visual media is what the real trip was about. Twas a good place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Alice Cooper - wasn't that song "Under My Wheels?"

Abraxas - Great One too.

I only tripped once - from 1972 to 1978. Then again, I came at the tail end of the hippy gen.

spacey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:16:09 (permalink)
    Yes! Under My Wheels- most excellent space.

The list that will probably be created in this thread, I'm guessing 1965 - late 80's will cover what I believe to be a great period for music.
    Carol King - Tapestry
    A Beautiful Day - were a couple I'll add while I'm here.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:24:56 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, the heyday of great music.

Not that there isn't great music today, but I think the push towards making sure something is commercially viable has killed creativity.

Now, as an owner of Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, I understand that creativity for its own sake is not good. But two things seem to have happened to popular music -
    1 - the amount of stuff that is "out there where the buses don't run" is way lower
    2 - the good stuff is all in the first few tracks of an album.

My favorite LPs from back when I used to be cool - I would listen to the whole side - not skip around a song here a song there...I think taht the quality had to be more consistent from song to song as a result. Now, with a properly armed remote, or an iTunes account, you dont have to listen to all the stuff the band thought was interesting - you can just listen to that one hit. Knowing this, bands may (or may not) record accordingly.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:27:55 (permalink)
    in the court of the crimson king?

"A Space in time" by 10 years after. And the song "As the sun still burns away" from same on Cricklewood Green.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:34:03 (permalink)
    In the Court of the Crimson King - Psychedelic or Prog? Or both?

Great Album, though that generation of KC - my fave was Larks Tongues in Aspic.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 11:47:19 (permalink)
    Pictures of Matchstick Men The Status Quo... still have the 45 RPM record.... it was the first song I can remember hearing that used the phase shifter ..."that jet sound" my mother called it.... soooo cooool.

Incense and Peppermints The Strawberry Alarm Clock.... just the name tells you.... this is Psychedelic Rock

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    godino
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 12:05:07 (permalink)
    Pictures of Matchstick Men The Status Quo

Ahhhh!! - before someone showed them the 12 bar blues riff

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 12:32:50 (permalink)
    When we first started listening to Zappa, a lot of people were convinced he was heavily into mind altering substances of various sorts.

It was only later that it transpired he was dead against all forms of drugs, despised alcohol, and his only true vices were cigarettes & coffee.

But listening again to stuff like Freak Out, Lumpy Gravy, We’re Only In It For The Money etc really makes you think. It just sounds so whacked out.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Bristol_Jonesey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 12:34:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

"A Space in time" by 10 years after. And the song "As the sun still burns away" from same on Cricklewood Green.

Cricklewood Green - the album with the LONG version of Love Like A Man!!

Stonedhenge was a good album, as was Scchhh.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    alvie
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 13:09:17 (permalink)

It's prog. Astronome Domine (Pink Floyd) is a better example of psychedelic.

I think the crossover between psychedelic and prog came around 1969. And in The Court Of the Crimson King is one of those album that change the trend.

Alain
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded (64 bits) 
    Windows 7 (64 bits) 
    Intel I7 / 8 MB
    UA-4FX, EMU XBoard49, AT-2020 
    http://parseq.alvie.ca/ 

space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 13:30:41 (permalink)
    Zappa
    Saw him several times. First time was in Armadillo World Headquarters (maybe the concert where The Muffin Man was recorded). I had always thought of him as a stoner for coming up with such bizarre lyrics. But before the show, the MC came out and said "For those of you in the first 10 rows, we ask that you please refrain from smoking p_t as Frank does not do drugs and the smoke interferes with his playing." Or something like that.

And how would you characterize an instrumental like Peaches and Regalia? Prog? Rock-symphony (which I guess would be Prog)?

I have to disagree on Astronomy Domine as I hear pre-echoes of DSOTM in it. Space Rock is still prog rock.

Edit
    But it was still psychedelic.

This is exactly why I believe as the ProgArchives.com website does that the singular definition of what constitutes Prog is too narrow.
    post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/03/17 16:45:02

space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 13:47:19 (permalink)
    From ProgArchives.comA definition of Progressive Rock Music

Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility." The term "art rock" is often used interchangeably with "progressive rock", but while there are crossovers between the two genres, they are not identical.

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Progressive rock came into most widespread use around the mid-1970s. While progressive rock reached the peak of its popularity in the 1970s and early 1980s, neo-progressive bands have continued playing for faithful audiences in the subsequent decades.
    post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/03/17 15:18:27

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 14:10:28 (permalink)
    Not an afficianado of Psych, but here's a few good 'uns..

Itchycoo Park - Small Faces
    Kites - Simon Dupree & The Big Sound
    Cerdes - Procul Harum
    Hung Up on a Dream - The Zombies
    Pools of Blue - Barclay James Harvest

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 14:16:04 (permalink)
    Not my genre or era (it came before prog did it not? I was like 4), but I would have to say

Airplane (of course)
    The Doors (of course)

and perhaps

The Moody Blues.

Later I might even include

Soft Cell

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 17:58:43 (permalink)
    "Defecting Grey" by the Pretty Things

and anything by the Seeds, or Chocolate Watchband, Frumious Bandersnatch...
    space_cowboy
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/17 18:02:22 (permalink)
    The Pretty Things - I forgot about them. SF Sorrow was a pioneering LP.

Bristol_Jonesey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/19 06:30:13 (permalink)
    The only time I saw Zappa was on his last visit to the UK in about 1989. This was the band who imploded, hence the album title "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life", but the show itslef was awesome.

Talking of Space Rock - anybody ever get to see Hawkwind performing The Space Ritual?

I think I saw it about 3 times in the mid 70's, once in Bristol, once in Birmingham and again in London.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/19 07:34:14 (permalink)
    Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Da Vida psychedelic

Jimi Hendrixc Experience the album Are You Experience psychedelic Probably the definitive album of psychedelic rock.

Crosby, Stills & Nash The album progressive

I always look at the progressive rock movement as coming out of the the psychedelic rock movement.

Best
    John
    spacey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/19 09:56:28 (permalink)
    I can't believe I didn't list this one earlier as I thought it was the greatest thing that could ever be.

Steve Miller- Number 5
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/19 11:13:11 (permalink)
    Anthology?

spacey
    RE: Psychedelic Rock 2009/03/19 12:45:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Anthology?

Mike your post has reply to me...I guess you were asking?

I'm at work so I can't put a link-security- but google and It'll bring it up. Great album.

I wore out 8-trks, cassettes and know I bought at least 3 of the albums. The last one I played once and stored.
    "Pack My Bags!" still rings in my head. "You're much to slow, I'm gone to Mexico".

post edited by spacey - 2009/03/19 12:56:23
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1