Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro

Author
wmatthe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2008/01/10 10:04:38 (permalink)

Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro

Would someone be so kind as to give me, or point me to, a "readers digest" sort of an overview of the Garritan Pocket Orchestra features that come with Dimension Pro? I've gathered that this is not the full GPO, but as a newbie to Sonar 6 Studio, looking to add a synthesizer and/or orchestra, will I be sorely disappointed in letting this GPO content sway my decision? I'm working with my 15 yr old son (the one with the musical potential in the family) and would like to give him some realistic orchestral sounds (and cool outofthebox synth sounds) to work with as he develops his interest and love for musical composition. I was considering adding a synthesizer, or an orchestra package to Sonar6SE - but cannot spend more than $200 (more or less). My son has played violin and viola in the school orchestra, but mostly plays guitar and dabbles with keyboards and drums these days. He does love the acoustic sounds of orchestral instruments (his teacher arranges orchestral versions of classic rock songs). My son is by no means highly schooled. or trained, but he seems to pick things up quickly without much instruction. So he doesn't need to have the violin sound like a Stradovarious - just like a violin; ditto for the other instruments.... Comments?
Thanks, Bill

24 Replies Related Threads

mleghorn
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 12:47:58 (permalink)
    Bill,

I have the Garritan Pocket Orchestra that came with my Dimension LE. I think it's the same as what comes with Dimension Pro. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not too impressed with any of the instruments except the trombone and some of the percussion. I especially like the gong, tam tam, and cymbols. There's no triangle, oddly enough.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, but...

I have an outboard 1/2 rack mount synth module by Roland, called M-OC1, which I'm thinking of selling soon. It sounds different than the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, but in some ways I think it's better. It might be what your son is looking for.

Here are some specs I found online:

28-voice polyphony; eight-part multitimbral capabilities
    8 Mbyte wave memory: 226 patches
    Two complete rhythm kits
    11 onboard digital effects: eight reverb, three chorus
    Stereo audio inputs to eliminate the necessity of external mixers
    Mfg list price $795.

I bought it about 10 years ago, before there was such a thing as a soft-synth. I think now they sell on eBay for around $150, which is what I'd sell it for. If you're interested, I could record one of the sample songs that came with it and email it to you. I probably lost the manual. I have a Cakewalk .inst file that can be used with Sonor so you can use the synth in multi-timbral mode and see the banks and patches.
    mleghorn
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 12:50:57 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention, the Roland M-OC1 synth is strictly for orchestral sounds, including strings, woodwinds, brass, and perscussion. The strings, brass, and woodwinds have solo and ensemble patches.
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 16:28:32 (permalink)
    wmatthe, for what you describe, I think that Dim Pro would fit your needs well. It has the basic orchestral instruments and "cool" sounds. In addition to GPO, Dim Pro has its own selection of strings, which sound pretty good in a mix. You can layer Dim Pro's strings with GPO (or even TTS-1) to have greater flexibility with sounds. Don't forget to get the 2 free expansion packs for even more cool sounds!
    wmatthe
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 20:34:30 (permalink)
    I guess I'm perplexed by the love/hate reactions to the Garritan instruments. I've listened to the samples on the Garritan site and thought they sounded great. I've heard Synful Orchestra and was also very impressed - meaning: these are not obviously synthetic instruments to my ears. I understand if the maestros, virtuosos, producers and engineers have higher standards than me, and I will defer to them.

But comparing the DimPro set of Garritan instruments to the full retail complement of the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference that would have me wishing I'd spent my $200 on the Garritan PO (and using TTS-1 as my synth), versus buying Dimension Pro?

Mike, Thanks for the offer and the advice, but I think I'll pass on the Roland.
    Mose, Appreciate the feedback.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 21:41:54 (permalink)
    It's limited and incomplete. Not a reason to buy Dimension, imo.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 23:00:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wmatthe
    I guess I'm perplexed by the love/hate reactions to the Garritan instruments.

Note that Garritan Pocket Orchestra is different from Garritan Personal Orchestra. Unfortunately, people refer to both as GPO. You have to confirm what people are discussing, because they are quite different. The Personal Orchestra has articulations, which are not found in Pocket Orchestra. You have to work with articulations in any good collection to make it sound realistic. From comments here, it sounds like you have to put extra effort into the Personal Orchestra to get really good results.

As far as quality, it all depends on your needs/desires/standards. There is a continuum of quality from the low end to the high end. I've used the orchestral instruments in TTS-1 a number of times in mixes, and they were great. I've used GPO in Dim Pro, I've used the orchestral instruments in Dim Pro outside of GPO and I've used EWQLSO. They all have their place, and they are not easily interchangeable in the music I've written. When mleghorn and Nick P say that the strings in Dim Pro are not that great, I'd have to agree with them when looking at EWQLSO. However, I'd have to disagree with them when looking at TTS-1.

What you end up buying depends on how much money you have and how strict your requirements are. You have to decide for yourself. Your choices are

TTS-1
    Garritan Pocket Orchestra
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    Miroslav Philharmonic
    Kirk Hunter Orchestral Bundles, Vienna Instruments Collection Vienna Special Edition (Standard and Extended Library) or EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra

Roughly in that order (just my opinion). I'm sure that there are other choices that people will add. If your main interest is orchestra, then don't fool around. Head on over to www.soundsonline.com right now and buy the EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Bundle for $445. You can't beat that price for what you get. If you are less ambitious, check out the Miroslav group buy discussed elsewhere on this website. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but I thought the price was around $200. If that's still too much, head on over to www.kirkhunterstudios.com and buy the Sapphire Orchestra for $99. Great sounds and a basic collection of instruments. You can't hardly go wrong.

If you want a collection of basic orchestral instruments and cool sounds, then take a look at Dimension Pro.

EDIT: The Miroslav group buy has ended.
    post edited by mose - 2008/01/10 23:23:36
    Jaybee
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/10 23:15:07 (permalink)
    Bill,

If you only plan to spend approximately $200 at this time, get the Dimension Pro. The orchestral sounds inside it and the 2 free expansion packs are more than enough to get you started. Then, later, as you and your son get deeper into what you want to do you can make decisions as to which libraries you want to supplement your arsenal with. Also, the Proteus expansion pack ($79) for Dimension Pro has very usable orchestral sounds.

I have both Dimension Pro and the Garritan Personal Orchestra and I use them both depending on what I am working on. They are both usable but the Garritan full libraries take a lot longer to learn to use effectively. Garritan Personal Orchestra does offer very good control of bowings, articulations, etc. and you really have to get to know your mod wheel. Dimension Pro is much easier to learn to use acceptably "out of the box" and you'll be quite happy with it.

As with any softsynth, you'll get better with ptactice. Just pick something that will let you make music right away rather than spending your time learning how to . . .make it sound right.
    post edited by Jaybee - 2008/01/10 23:30:49

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

Nick P
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/11 00:10:40 (permalink)
    Even with the expansion packs for Dimension Pro, you don't get nearly as comprehensive an orchestral solution as you would get with one of the dedicated pieces. A couple not mentioned by mose are Steinberg's Halion Symphonic Orchestra - sounds real good from the demos, and MOTU's Orchestral Instrument.

wmatthe
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/11 07:56:48 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the discussion - this is a great help to me in understanding all this. I did not realize the distinction between the Garritan Pocket vs Personal Orchestras. This makes much more sense to me now. And I really appreciate the mention of all the other product/options.

I found an Academic version of Dimension Pro on eBay for $125. My son is a student and therefore qualifies for this package. Seems like a great price. Is there any reason not to use the Academic version? If not, I'm gonna jump on that for now...

Thanks again everyone! Great forum.

Bill
    Nick P
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/11 10:19:11 (permalink)
    What about Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition? It's around $200, and again would have way more of a comprehensive orchestral library then Dimension Pro. That's what I would do. Then go with a great synth like Rapture. As far as bread and butter sounds - i.e. piano, organ, electric piano, bass, etc... for now go with the TTS-1. It'll be fine for starters.

Also, wait to see what happens at NAMM this coming week, and then check back in here. Things could radically change, since Cakewalk is announcing a new instrument, and surely they won't be the only one.

guthrart
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/11 14:08:33 (permalink)
    Hi,

If your son is writing rock/pop music, then Dimension pro will do the job magnificently. However, if he is learning how to orchestrate, the full GPO is a better choice. The GPO is also under 200.

Bye.
    wmatthe
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/11 14:56:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the continued feedback - I appreciate all the info.

Couple of things (in my never ending quest for bargains):

- I saw an old (2005) thread on the Project 5 board about a "group buy" licensing of (full) Garritan Personal Orchestra (for $139). Anybody know what that was about?

- I mentioned previously my consideration of Academic licensing for Dimension Pro. While looking on eBay for that, I also see an Academic version of Finale 2008 which includes the full GPO. Would that make the GPO accesssible/useful from within Sonar 6?

- Any disadvantage(s) to (legit) Academic licensing? It appears that in some ways you get more stuff with these versions (lessons, tutorials, etc)...

Bill
    Jaybee
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/12 19:02:17 (permalink)
    Bill,
    So far as I know you get a full product with Academic licensing. Back when I was still an active schoolteacher (now retired for 4 years!) I purchased several pieces of software with Academic licenses and they were full featured products. You should be okay with that.

Cakewalk recently had a sale on DimPro but I think it may have ended.

As to your Finale/GPO question - I have both of them so when I use Finale I assume I'm using the Finale version and when I use Sonar I think I'm using the other version. I think there are some different scripts in the Finale version of GPO to make it work correctly in Finale. You might ask that question on the Garritan forums as a lot of people there use Finale. Also, there is a Finale forum which is really good and might have the definitive answers to your questions.

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

wmatthe
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/13 00:57:41 (permalink)
    Jerry,

Thanks for the post! I think I will pay a visit to the Garritan and Finale communities. As I've researched further, I've found that neither Finale nor Sibelius seem to have the Full Garritan Personal Orchestra - rather each has it's own different, "special" version of GPO (bigger than DimPro's, but still not complete). Meanwhile, I have gathered that the Kontkat player can be inserted under Sonar folder and essentially acts as a synth and the GPO instruments become available to Sonar. (If anyone knows for sure, feel free to verify or...)

I had a good deal for Academic Dim Pro on eBay ($125), but it fell through ("...oops, all gone.."). So I'm waiting for replenishment or similar price somewhere else. Now, each time I listen to the DimPro samples I get blown away! I think I'll have more fun with that than GPO (for starters anyhow).
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/01/13 19:27:40 (permalink)
    Now, each time I listen to the DimPro samples I get blown away

Dpro has features that are not included in a dedicated orchestral library. But on the same note a dedicated library might have a greater range of articulations. Not a bad thing to have if your leaning toward sequencing the big sound. Having several sources for your voices/patches is not a bad thing at all. I tend to use third party soundsets as a way to expand my palate but a dedicated library/rompler will work just as well.
    sylva
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/08/30 12:18:05 (permalink)
    Hello all!

In reading your posts, as usual, there are as many opinions as people writing. Mine will be no different. However, having said that, a violin, a trumpet or any other instrument either sounds like a violin or a trumpet, or it doesn't. I don't want to put down "Pocket Orchestra" by any means, but, except for a few, its instruments sound like the General Midi instruments in the ROM of my keyboard controller. I know instruments, I play several. I've been a conductor and composer all my life. I have perfect active pitch. This is not to be boasting, I am born with it, not my fault :) To my ears, instruments have to sound as they really sound. In Pocket they don't. And, even if some do, as one of you rightly pointed out the trombone, and even oboe to a certain extant, when in combination the results are less than to be desired, to say the least. Very unfortunately, if one needs orchestra s/he has to dish out big money. DAW software can run one's pocket dry. But even if one has the best of the best, things can still sound synthetic if one doesn't have very powerful computers. Just tech reality: there's an awfully lot to process here. Starting with a low end package is all right, just to get your feet wet with the environment, that is, DAW software + combination of instruments/sample player in a multi track setting. But orchestral sound as you know it from concerts and recordings, well, that will have to wait.

Just my two cents.

Sylva.

EDIT: I see your post was written in January. What did you buy since and how are you satisfied? Just curious, because I also am in a financial bind looking for orchestral software.
    post edited by sylva - 2008/08/30 12:25:28
    raweber
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/05 14:41:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wmatthe
    Meanwhile, I have gathered that the Kontkat player can be inserted under Sonar folder and essentially acts as a synth and the GPO instruments become available to Sonar. (If anyone knows for sure, feel free to verify or...)

Hi,

The version of GPO that comes with Finale only works with Finale. If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket, I would pick up the full version of GPO in a heartbeat. That being said, the Kirk Hunter Emerald for $100 is an incredible buy for basic orchestral sounds (nothing very far out of the ordinary).

My current workaround is to do all my string arranging in Finale and then export the strings a track at a time as audio files. I then bring those audio files into Sonar for effects and mixing. It's a little buggy but it works.

For winds, I either use the Jazz and Big Band (JABB) instruments, which I purchased the full version and works with both Finale and Sonar, or use modified sfz samples.

Good luck!

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Music Prodution Blog: Notes from the Shore
    Free Praise Music: All Things New Ministries
    jpq
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/06 21:13:11 (permalink)
    I think in garritan pocket orchestra harp,harpsicord,and glockenspiel and flute are maybe best sounds in this product. and there is silly bug in glockenspiel i think sounds wrong notes. i all other sounds are concert pitch. I currently thinking buying something for orchestral sounds. based garritan pocket orchestra i think not buying garritan personal orchestra think this sounds little dark maybe.
    raweber
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/11 07:23:42 (permalink)
    Garritan Pocket Orchestra is not a very good representation of the Garritan Personal Orchestra. Don't make any judgements based on it. First, check out these user demos.

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Nick P
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/11 08:08:17 (permalink)
    If I was going for a first orchestral module, I'd go with Miroslav. It just seems well-designed to do that thing really well. There's a "lite" version which now seems to be on sale for $99. I'm not thrilled with the warmth of the strings on the demo, but you could definitely MIDI mock-up pretty much anything with it I think. I would go for the Kirk Hunter strings, but as a first, simple piece, I'd choose Miroslav.

raweber
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/13 21:02:47 (permalink)
    Can't find the Miroslav lite - could you provide a link?

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Vhue
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/30 03:41:02 (permalink)
    I was planning to get Sonar8 (pro) when that comes out, specifically for the included instruments dimpro (and in that, garritan), and because I don't have a sequencer anyway (I've been recording audio through some freeware thing for a while, and have loads of ideas of where to take it, with no way of making those sounds). Now this discussion is changing my mind majorly. I was of the impression that dimpro is what you get for the nice real instruments, but that seems way off..

If what you want is real-sounding orchestra type instruments, and things like drum (not just loops) and bass, to mix with real audio material - what are you better off getting? I figured the place I'd cheap out would be my midi-controller - I have an old keyboard with midi see, but nothing in the way of pitch and mod wheels, and I'm coming to realise those things are important if you don't just want ok sounding drawn out strings or whatever in your songs. If you want good expressive stuff - are you better off getting a decent controller (and what would be the name of one?), Garritan Personal, (what exactly, for more rock-style drum and bass types of sounds?), and maybe a not totally new and therefore less pricey sequencer? And also, what sequencer would you need then, for use with Garritan, something else, and real audio?

Hoping this thread isn't dead.
    jpq
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/30 05:44:20 (permalink)
    Miroslav "LITE". ps. link is english section (i form finland) why? becouse texts are almost sure in english wich most of people understand.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_miroslav_philharmonik_classik.htm
    raweber
    RE: Q re: Garritan in Dimension Pro 2008/09/30 21:17:51 (permalink)
    If what you want is real-sounding orchestra type instruments, and things like drum (not just loops) and bass, to mix with real audio material - what are you better off getting?
    The instruments that come bundled with Sonar are sufficient for those needs. The Pocket Orchestra instruments are good enough for pop - they won't hold up for classical, however.
    I figured the place I'd cheap out would be my midi-controller - I have an old keyboard with midi see, but nothing in the way of pitch and mod wheels, and I'm coming to realise those things are important if you don't just want ok sounding drawn out strings or whatever in your songs. If you want good expressive stuff - are you better off getting a decent controller (and what would be the name of one?),
    Axiom and M-Audio both make decent, inexpensive controllers with a ton of real-time control. You have to have the controllers unless you want to be editing all the controller information in Sonar after-the-fact.
    Garritan Personal, (what exactly, for more rock-style drum and bass types of sounds?),
    The other Dim Pro sounds will so nicely for rock sounds. If not Sonar, then there are lots of libraries out there - I can't speak to them because Rock's not my genre.
    and maybe a not totally new and therefore less pricey sequencer? And also, what sequencer would you need then, for use with Garritan, something else, and real audio?
    There are a couple of less pricey sequencers on the market. I used Power Tracks Pro Audio before switching to Sonar.
    Hoping this thread isn't dead.
    Not until everyone, including you, says it is.

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1