Question about radio stations

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
2009/10/31 19:29:59 (permalink)

Question about radio stations

I imagine more than one of you have been involved in radio in some way (besides most of us who just listen and keep our fingers crossed that OUR music might actually be on it some day!) 

Anyway, my question is, why does each station seem to have such a SHORT play list?  If you listen to one station most of the time it gets repetitive VERY quickly.  They might play one song from a new CD, which you happen to have, and you happen to know that that CD has two more absolutely amazing songs that never get air play.  And some groups never get played, even if in the right genre, etc. 

I mean, how do the DJ's stand listening to the same stuff over and over and over again when I listen now and then and get sick of it?  Some of these songs weren't that great to begin with and they're not getting better with age. 

OK, this sounds like a rant, and it is sort of, but I'm really curious about the radio business.   I would think you'd want way more variety, especially since so many songs are available. 

31 Replies Related Threads

Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 19:33:37 (permalink)
    PAYOLA......................

jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 20:46:44 (permalink)

The short answer is money. Then it's "what works".
    Repetition. I had a jazz teacher once tell me if all that
    was played on the radio was "cello" music then that's
    all people would listen to. The problem/situation you
    mention isn't limited to radio though.

Take for example a band that does "cover tunes"
    live. They may have a set list of 50 songs but
    even then that many songs can be "repetitive" to
    a person who goes to the same "club" and hears
    "the same band".

I believe that often times people want "quality"
    be it such as TV programing or the quality of the
    sound of a song. I like watching watching pbs
    but even they're diversity is limited.

Now lets give this idea a thought? Local radio
    stations. I can't think of any stations that could
    support a tune by say Jimmy or Mamabear or
    other forum members. It cost them money to
    operate.

I would like to see how "college" radio stations
    operate. It seems they're "song plays" are
    more diversified but it can go from "terrible" to
    "very good".

Just thinking
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 22:07:28 (permalink)
    That's why I stopped listening to top 40/rock/pop radio stations. I lived in Dallas and discovered this great classical station, WRR 101.1  www.wrr101.com I think is the web site. I figured with 500+ years of music to choose from, they could never possibly play the same thing in a week.
    Well, I was wrong about that, but at least it wasn't "Takin' Care Of Business" every day, a song I loved when it came out but was played to death.
    Sometimes here I'll switch to the local rock station, 96 Rock, but last week, they played 2 of the same songs on consecutive nights during my 40-minute drive home from work!
    But, if Herb is reading, they do have a "Locals Only" show on Sunday night when they play songs from, uh, locals. I'm thinking of submitting something...
    Oh, WRR has an interesting history. When I lived in Dallas, it was the only municipally-owned commercial radio station in the country. It may still be. It started as a Dallas police dispatch radio station in the 1920s and eventually became commercial.
    Before I moved back to NC in 2002, some company offered the city $20 mil for the station, but I don't know what happened since then.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 22:27:42 (permalink)
    Fear.  Fear to take a chance.  Fear to trust the listeners to be able to accept something different. 

Ever notice the "cookie cutter" modality of TV shows: how one success spawns twelve others just like it?  (Honeymooners -> Everybody {except me} Loves Raymond?  Similar deal.  Same thing is true of movies.

It's sad, really.  I came up in the late 70s, and a lot of (then) "current / cutting edge" radio stations  (then playing hits of 1979-1985 say) KEPT their play lists - to TODAY!  They are now "classic rock" stations!  They never changed their logo from 'current' to 'classic'; they just kept playing the same stuff over and over, because it worked!  (Witness songs like "Taking care of Business".)

Back to fear, for a moment.  Look at a band like Rush.  35+ years, countless huge hits, adoring fans.  Yet most "hard rock" stations play these songs: Working Man, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Closer To The Heart.  Give me a break; those are all as old as dirt now!  They are afraid to play anything that isn't a "known commodity".  Proven money-maker.

I just gave a "classic hard rock" example, but it's the same with other styles.  If Hilary Duff has 12 songs on an album, you will only hear "the single" (over & over).  Fear of taking chances by the money end of the business.

My $0.02...

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 22:47:48 (permalink)
    Well, in this case it's impossible to make a long story short. Let me see if I can make sense of the "radio" end of the music industry. This has become more complex with the advent of "internet radio". I'll try to be basic.
    Radio stations are owned by entertainment companies, indidviduals or corporations that rely Advertisement Income to survive. The talent they promote is provided by other parts of the corporation or "syndicate" that they have signed on with. Regulators, either independant or goverment based give them guidlines on content. Rebel stations aline with "syndicates", General stations take everthing they can get, PBS does what it can.
    I'm sure this hasn't cleared up any of your questions. The only way to know is to enter that end of the music industry and see what "decisions and deals" are made in regards to... incoming revenue controlled by....?

Craig DuBuc
    Mamabear
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 22:50:43 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I suppose I could do a little research myself.  Maybe it's because we're musicians that we get tired of the music faster.  I don't know.  It just seems strange. 
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:02:07 (permalink)
    If Clear Channel, or another of the (few) Majors doesn't want to air it, it won't get aired.  And, they are interested solely in what makes the money.  It's greed, pure and simple.   The rotation repeats over and over, and the money rolls in.  Apparently, their research tells them that listeners only want to hear 15 songs per day, but over and over again....

Not only do big conglomerates own nearly all of the market, but they also tape their broadcasts ahead of time and bem them across the country to the many stations that they own.  So now, it all sounds the same.  AND repeats itself.  No matter where you go.  No matter where you live. 

I'm crazy lucky here in San Diego with a completely, truly independent radio station - 94.9.  It plays all my favorite alternative stuff from the 70s punk to 2000s chill.  And Clear Channel doesn't own it.  It's on the web too, if anyone is interested in streaming it. 

On to the college station thing... At my school (Muskingum College, WMCO 90.7 fm), we had a music director who worked VERY hard previewing and listening to music that literally poured in every day.  Every indie label sent everything they had our way, as soon as it was released - granted, our station was often given awards at the National Association of Broadcaster's conventions, and pretty well known both for independent music and newscasting - but that's the name of the game.  Make a record, send it to EVERYONE who might play it.  

The Music Director spent hours every day in his studio previewing and researching... I was lucky enough to be a close friend.  Got some great promo stuff back in the day.

Most of us had a four-hour show once a week - a few had two four-hour shows.  We usually picked which time slot we wanted/were available for, and that dictated our show's format, as the shows were all pre-determined according to our station format.  Mostly, the evenings were reserved for "New Music".  At our station, "New Music" was that indie Stuff I was talking about.  But there were other shows as well.  One of my profs had a kind of folk thing Sat mornings, where he'd bring his own discs, and the Music Director had a techno show, which he actually spun live.  He was awesome. 

I had a New Music show, and we were also allowed to bring in our own stuff, too- I don't think we logged anything (at least I don't remember doing so), and I believe we weren't beholden to the normal rules of artistic payment for plays, etc... I could be totally wrong about this, and someone correct me if I am.  This was in the early to mid 90s. 

If Jimmy or Janet sent their CDs to my Music Director, he *might* have put it on the air.  IF he had someone who had a show in which it fit. 

I'd actually highly recommend any college or community college station.  No, not every dj will be great (they are there to learn, after all), but some are fantastic.  Just because it wasn't good at 6:00pm, doesn't mean it won't totally rock at 11pm!!

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:07:30 (permalink)
    Mamabear

Anyway, my question is, why does each station seem to have such a SHORT play list?  If you listen to one station most of the time it gets repetitive VERY quickly.  They might play one song from a new CD, which you happen to have, and you happen to know that that CD has two more absolutely amazing songs that never get air play.  And some groups never get played, even if in the right genre, etc. 

I mean, how do the DJ's stand listening to the same stuff over and over and over again when I listen now and then and get sick of it?  Some of these songs weren't that great to begin with and they're not getting better with age.  

Janet, most radio today is actually pre-recorded... if you can believe that! It's true... unless you're talking about a mom & pop operation (i.e., internet feed), or something out of a university, or satellite radio, or (obviously) talk radio, any radio station owned by one of the big conglomerates -- ClearChannel, Entercom, etc. -- will actually run mostly pre-recorded sets and live DJs are used only a fraction of the time.

And BTW the big congolomerates -- ClearChannel, Entercom, etc. -- own most of the radio stations in the US, and thereby control a large chunk of the public airwaves. 

And also BTW the FCC in conjunction with the big conglomerates -- ClearChannel, Entercom, etc. -- (er... I mean the "lobbyists", but let's just call them out by name for the purpose of this discussion) are seeing to it that the mom & pop operations (i.e., internet feeds) are put under such a financial burden in the form of law-induced licensing fees (i.e., proposed "performance licenses" for radion content) and before-you-know-it internet content levies and restrictions (i.e., "preferred internet content providers" a.k.a "goodbye 'net neutrality", soon to be followed by internet taxes for the public, because that's what this country does bestest!) that the whole concept of the mom & pop internet radion station is staring down the barrel of a gun in the hand of a very large and very powerful Corpo-Governmental entity (funded by you and me through consumer sales and federal taxes, BTW).

Oh, and despite very recent payola cases that actually ended up in court, payola mentioned above does exist. It must. I can't imagine that sooo many people could possibly like Taylor Swift and David Cook that much... Fact is, you have a very small umber of very powerful people controlling the show. So while technically from a legal perspective payola is not the payola of yore, what exists today is a legal version of payola. And that's what you hear on the radio and see on TV.

(p.s., what the hell is wrong with the wysiwygywgywgy editing with this forum software? it's certainly not wysyyggysywysgygy enough for me... formatting gets all messed up...)
    post edited by keith - 2009/10/31 23:13:45
    Crg
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:07:43 (permalink)
    Mamabear

Thanks guys.  I suppose I could do a little research myself.  Maybe it's because we're musicians that we get tired of the music faster.  I don't know.  It just seems strange. 

Strange doesn't even come close.

Craig DuBuc
    julibee
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:12:48 (permalink)
    Keith, I can't speak to what's happening right now with the taxes issue on the mom & pops, but I DO remember that it was the DE-REGULATION of media that lead to this mess.  And allowed Clear Channel et al., to become so irrevocably HUGE.   

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:15:17 (permalink)
    Hey Julibee!

Muskingum College; I'm in Columbus, not too far away.  Originally from NY here.  Best,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    julibee
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:16:36 (permalink)
    Hi ya, Ed!  Zanesville girl, right here!  Born and Bred - but not entirely proud of it....  :)

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:18:24 (permalink)
    Hi,

Having had a long history og being near radio, not quite on it until I did my own music show on the Internet, which I am working on doing again ... I have a lot of notes on that subject but many might suggest that they are not ... ... ...

In general, one of the best examples is this ... my friend was on the air and started playing from Golden Earring's Moontan album and ... the other DJ in the station stuck his mouth in the microphone and said "it's not rock'n'roll" .. to which my roomate and friend immediately replied ... "who cares ... it's great music!" ... and he is single handedely responsible for many things in those days like Gentle Giant, Supertramp, Golden Earring, Tangerine Dream, Alan Stivell, Nektar, Man, Amon Duul 2, Can and so many others ... that helped the Southern California import explosion ...

In general, because people are so tuned to their iPods and the lack of variety and choices for musics in a lot of the services on the Internet ... I am not sure that the majority of people that ended up in radio stations even have an ear for music ... I can easily tell you that all of us liked the idea of getting a go with the girls because "we were somebody" and their friends were not ... simply because we were in the air ... for my part, I was not immune to that but I was more worried about the music and playing it than I was about anything else ... I'm sure you can see that passion even when I write things here. The girls were nice ... but sorry ... Tangerine Dream and many other musicians are still my wives! They never left! ... and they always gave you more!

In general, the music business main concern is to make sure they get their money and then some ... and to that end, advertising and videos convince you and others that something is good ... and since we are (still) in one of those politically correct days ... it is not right, or you are not a friend to your friends, because you are different ... and this is worse exponentially as you go away from New York, LA and San Francisco ... Seattle and Chicago have their scene, but you can not do anything else! And they are not very good at experimentals at all ... and there is no radio that will bunk all that.

It had been my hope that Internet radio was going to kill the "conglomerates" ...  but it hasn't ... and we're sucked in by Sirius and XM and people are convinced that they are "important" when they have almost no musical talent whatsoever ... it is exactly the same music that has been there all along ... and while Howard and others have had their moments and say, in the end, they are not about the "music" either ... they are about the money and the ratings ...

I'm still hoping that the likes of Live365 and other internet radio conglomerates can get better and more attentive ... you can actually hear King Crimson in there! ... not just one small cut buried in nowhere land classified as 70's Rock ... and in the middle of all the other radio garbage and std's! Which is what you mostly get! You don't want to hear about that ... trust me!
    Crg
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:27:41 (permalink)
    julibee

Keith, I can't speak to what's happening right now with the taxes issue on the mom & pops, but I DO remember that it was the DE-REGULATION of media that lead to this mess.  And allowed Clear Channel et al., to become so irrevocably HUGE.   

I'd have to agree. If Clear Channel is just another radio station, who do you apply to to get on their palylist?
    Therein lies the problem.

Craig DuBuc
    keith
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:34:16 (permalink)
    julibee

I certainly don't follow this stuff... it only turns my stomach in the end... I'd rather just, you know, actually listen to some music, or play some myself...

But my understanding is that the latest attack on the independent internet stations is coming by way of the recording industry -- the issue of performance royalties, and the various interests and dealings therein, and which in the end does not jive with the terms "small" and "independent" as far as radio goes... Let's face it, there are the corporations that make and are worth billions of $$$... then there's everything else. Fact of life.

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2009/08/articles/broadcast-performance-royalty/senate-judiciary-committee-hearing-on-radio-performance-royalty-and-platform-parity-for-webcaster-royalties/

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2009/04/articles/broadcast-performance-royalty/congressman-boucher-to-nab-accept-performance-royalty-how-much-would-it-cost/

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2009/03/articles/internet-radio/soundexchange-settlement-with-microcasters-a-royalty-option-for-the-very-small-webcaster/

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:36:06 (permalink)
    "people are convinced that they are "important" ..."

keith
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:37:16 (permalink)
    Crg

julibee

I'd have to agree. If Clear Channel is just another radio station, who do you apply to to get on their palylist?
    Therein lies the problem.
    You mean you don't know? Here's a hint... get in touch with this guy:

... he'll hook you up...

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/10/31 23:45:13 (permalink)
    sorta looks like Phil Graham... in a Halloween costume

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/01 01:15:23 (permalink)
    Back in 1973 I took classes to get my 3rd class fcc license, I had a desire to get into radio as a disc jockey. The classes were given at an AM radio station that aired from sun up to sunset. Once I passed my test and got my licence, they allowed me and all of the others in the class, maybe five guys total, to play a three hour show once a week for three weeks. You did the live commercials, read the news from the AP wire service teletype (word for word, no editorializing permitted), and played records. There was a rack of 45's on the counter, and four or five to the side that had to be played every 90 minutes. You could pick the rest of the songs from that rack only.

Of course, at 18, I had a great collection of albums,and friends who would be more than happy to lend me their collections if I would ask. So, I had to ask the station manager, who was also the program director, owner and teacher of the class, about the idea of playing records that I brought in myself. The answer was a distinct and emphatic "no", and, at that age, "no" was not good enough. So I asked why.

His answer made sense. He got paid to play the four or five songs every 90 minutes, just the same as he got payed to play or read commercials at the exact time slot the clients had paid for. The rack was a group of songs that he got paid to play, but they were not as important to him as the four on rotation, since they paid less and only for one play a day. Then, as today, as tomorrow, money makes the world go 'round.

He also said that if I would develop a program that specialized in a certain type of music, oldies, polkas, classical, whichever genre I would like, detail the entire collection that I would be working from, album name, singer/songwriter, publisher, etc. and do a demo of the type of "banter" that I would present in between songs, he would be happy to try to sell it to some local sponsors. But, without the demo he could not entice sponsors, without those sponsors he could not afford to do the show, since the record companies would not be putting up any money. Seems that in order to get record company sponsorship I would have to limit my collection to artists that were signed to that company only.

There are places, college radio, some "pirate radio' stations, etc, that will take music "off the streets", submissions from un-signed artists might be welcome, but they had better fit the profile of the station, or they will be tossed. But for the larger market commercial stations, you have to submit to the program director, through promoters who he knows who have the financial backing of the production company that will be paying to air the music.

It seems restrictive and controlled, a close knit community of high dollar executives scratching each other's backs at first glance. But the truth is, money makes it work. Without the money, nothing gets done.

By the way, on my last show at that station, I snuck in a couple of my own albums, played three of four songs from them before I was escorted from the premises, never to see the inside of that station again. But if I could have accepted the system as it was and learned how to play by the rules that were written long before I was born, I might have made it in the business. I had the right voice, I could read without a local accent, do the vocal acting necessary to sell a commercial, pronounce the foreign names correctly, etc.

Gave up on that dream, though. Just couldn't wear those shoes...

Later
    Albert

post edited by gamblerschoice - 2009/11/01 01:20:47

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/01 11:21:01 (permalink)
    Radio is a business - the people who invest in it are looking to make money.  Always has been that way.  As the old saying goes - "if I wanted art I'd buy it." I did TV commericials for the local hip hop station - independent w/ a couple of other stations.  #1 in Dallas morning market.  The owner had a subscription to a data bass that would tell you not just what had played earlier on every station in the US but what was playing at that moment.  Pretty cool, but it means that if you listen to pop radio you are going to get very little variation between song lists in any one kind of market.  And unlike satellite/cable TV, there is no real metric to find out what people will listen to - only what is being played.

As Julibee sez, there are some college stations that do "independent" programming and they get jammed w/ sent in stuff.  Hard to get attention, but it is worth sending into.  Also internet stations.  Get on rotation there and use it as a jumping board for college/indepedent broadcasters.  "This song was on #3 on SoandSo internet channel."

Radio for the most part sux.  It always has, tho what we grew up w/ seemed great.  Most of the bad pop and rock stuff I still like was stuff I heard ad nauseum as a kid/teenager.  "Indiana Wants Me" is a perfectly dreadful song I had on 45 and I'll listen to it today if it pops up on geezer radio.  That kind of stuff is kitchey but fun.  No doubt the kids today will enjoy the classic hip hop stations of tomorrow.

Music Radio is a advertising medium to sell CDs.  So, Janet, if you have money invested in a CD you don't want to dilute your product.  And most people don't listen to the radio all day.  So if many of your listeners have your station on 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time, you want them to hear your song once or twice.  Payola is so passé, for the most part.  It is more the fact is is a machine set up that way.  If you are going to listen to the radio all day you are more likely to listen to NPR or talk radio.  Or get subscription radio, where they break down the music into smaller subsets.  It is still a business, but they have a whole lot more in depth coverage.  In fact, I've heard some good bands but haven't been able to find remember their names, even after looking at the sirus channel.  Bad mistake on their part.  I've been known to actually buy music.

@
    post edited by AT - 2009/11/01 11:28:30

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/02 12:47:19 (permalink)
    Radio sucks. I rarely listen to the radio  of my own accord any more.

Whenever I'm tied to the computer at home, I put Last FM on and let it surprise me.

Byron Dickens
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/02 16:17:55 (permalink)
    Payola is supposed to be illegal... but there are loopholes in the law.

Basically, a radio station plays the top 40 tunes because that what the dumb listeners think they want to hear. The music attracts listeners and that translates into ratings, and ratings translate into advertising dollars. The higher the ratings, the more the ad time costs. 

Not many radio stations use live DJ's. most of the stuff is automated (no DJ) and a computer picks the songs based on a formula, or the shows are syndicated, and the radio station simply plays the shows. Automation pops in a few local commercials in the "local commercial" time slots in the syndicated shows.

As a few have mentioned, the remaining stations that have real DJ's tend to be locals, and they have a strict play list. The only really "free" stations are the internet stations and college radio stations..... these are the ones that will play the local artist's music. There was a local gospel station here in NC that did have a "Local Sunshine" segment on Saturday mornings for local artists.... but they dropped that some time back.

It's very hard to get repeat airplay from a local station even if they agree to play your CD.  It still comes down to a limited amount of airtime, and music that attracts advertisers and listeners.

Your best bet to try is the local college stations, and PBS stations..... sometimes you can get lucky with them. It helps too if you have a friend that works there.....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/11/02 16:18:58

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/02 16:54:56 (permalink)
    To quote 10cc, "Art for art's sake, money for God's sake."

I spent 1981-1992 in "the biz" starting with music, moved to news/info, and finally producing a talk show before exiting for more fulfilling destinations.  There were some exciting times, and I got to meet some people that I never would have had the chance otherwise. 

There were also a lot of years of frustration because so long as the money was coming in, management wasn't interested in raising the bar or pushing the envelope to make the station better.

I do miss a number of the very creative and good people I worked with in those years... but I do not miss the work or the business philosophies that drove it.

bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/02 17:41:16 (permalink)
    Payola still exists, but they don't pay cash and drugs any more. Where do you think the concert tickets, cars, motorcycles and everything else the radio stations give away come from?

Byron Dickens
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/02 18:48:52 (permalink)
    Yeah.... we're not breaking the payola laws.... (wink..wink)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Moshkiae
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/03 14:27:29 (permalink)

Payola is supposed to be illegal... but there are loopholes in the law.

The biggest one being that the record company owns the radio station ... you can't tell them to play anything else!

We were lucky .. in Santa Barbara, KTYD allowed Guy Guden to do his thing, even though Guy paid terribly hard and was working for $5 dollars an hour and sub-sisting himself with Food Stamps and much other ... short of begging for food and shelter ... I actually paid rent so we could get and hear the music . ... and 30 years later I still have 400 hours plus of these shows, all non-commercial and totally out of this world. On a commercial station that was number one! ... so if it doesn't work ... that's a myth ... it does ... but it's hard ... and Guy was able to do the show for over 20 years ...

In the end, no one knows or remembers those folks ... but check out a thread on the ProgArchives forums about Space Pirate Radio ... and realize that you do not hear a lot of special and different things out there on radio ... and it is exactly the lack of that difference that is killing it ... and it needs to die!

Until the day it wants to allow for freedom and growth ... and ... btw ... that's an illusion that other bands don't make money ... and businessman that is smart will know right away that he/she will make more money off a new item that no one else has or sells, than they will on residuals of playing Brittany Spears every 90 minutes!

The only problem is ... the majority of listeners think ... THAT is #1 ... and believe it ... and anyone can throw out a number and believe it ... and until the day ... that someone throws a wrench into that ... and you and people around you stop believing that "money" and "interests" are the definition of right, good and number one ... ....

I've been a part of the group of folks that were there in the beginning, and I am still writing and talking about a lot of that beauty .I am not cynical enough to say there is no beauty today ... but I can tell you beauty in the arts ... a lot of jerks I knew that were in radio, are still jerks and yo uknow what? 2 of them are bitter ... radio did nothing for them and the only good thing they can talk about is the girls they got ... and one of them talks about the clap ... and one of them Gene Simmons ... ohh well ... the leather pants were neat, anyway! I can safely say I was not there for that stuff, and that the music is more important ... so if the turkey can not appreciate anything more than just ten dollars ... which is often the difference ... yeah ... you are better off leaving .. he won't be there long anyway!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2009/11/03 14:38:28
    Moshkiae
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/03 14:29:07 (permalink)
    Payola still exists, but they don't pay cash and drugs any more. Where do you think the concert tickets, cars, motorcycles and everything else the radio stations give away come from?

Byron ... you forgot one of them ... the clap! ... or was it the crabs?
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/03 14:43:32 (permalink)
    Jane T
    Maybe someone else has said this already, but I think most stations are programmed by massive super computers hidden under Antarctica.  Narwhals and beluga whales safeguard them.  But the computers are owned by - now get this - Bruce Springsteen.  He has a deal with the narwhals and the belugas too, so don't trust them. And he struck a deal with the government to cover up his Antarctica/whale venture.   

I agree the playlists are way too small.  There are perhaps 4 Steely Dan songs that ever get played.  I only hear Angry Eyes by Loggins and Messina.  And Other than Machines, you never hear anything else by Luthar and the Hand People.  

It is big business.  Bruce Springsteen's big business.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Mamabear
    Re:Question about radio stations 2009/11/03 18:41:15 (permalink)
    S Cowboy--That must be what's going on.  It makes perfect sense!  :-) 

That's funny that you wrote my name that way.  One time my husband ordered a cake for me (we were in a foreign country at the time.)  It ended up saying 'Happy Birthday Jane X'   LOL
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1