Question about virtual Synth

Author
coffin13
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2008/08/14 19:39:19 (permalink)

Question about virtual Synth

Hi I have a question about virtual synth .I have been using it cause I cant get sound when I try to open a reg. project .That problem was fixed due to going to Virtual synth but the problem I am having now is switching from a drum track to a piano track it doesnt let me do that .Do I have to be in a certain mode to do this ? and please dont tell me get a sound card anwser or some random stuff about that cause I dont have one I have bypassed that by going to virtual synth .I have come this far after trying for 2 months to use this crap ass program .So I appreiate if u would be straight up and stop trying to lead me in another direction.Its ovious to me if u cant have a support and have to have it online, just to get help.There s just something that just doesnt sit right .Lack of funds or I dont know what but anyways .I wont continue about this cause now Im just ranting but I would appreaite a straight up anwser.

thankyou
post edited by coffin13 - 2008/08/14 20:05:30

25 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/14 20:17:16 (permalink)
    uhm. we're not tech support here either. I have no motivation to help you if you're going to have an attitude toward us, we are USERS just like you and we volunteer our time to help folks out, so don't take your frustrations out on us. if you want to yell at someone yell at cakewalk, not the users who can probably help you with your problem.

as for your problem, I believe what you're trying to do is change the patch on a synth. you didn't mention which synth you're using, nor did you mention which version of MC you're using. for now I'll assume MC4 with TTS-1. you'll need to tell us otherwise if that's not the case.

if you're trying to change the patch from the face of the synth, then that won't work. the MIDI track properties overrides what's on the face. you need to change the bank from the MIDI track properties in the track view. if you can't figure out where that is, and if you ask nicely I'll post a screen shot for you.

BTW - changing patches on a synth has nothing to do with the soundcard.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/14 20:42:57 (permalink)
    What do you mean by virtual synth? What is its name?
    You cannot bypass the sound card. Whether it is integrated on the motherboard, or an add-on, the soundcard is part of your signal chain. No gettin' around it.
    More straight up information about what you are doing will help us give you a straight up answer.
    MC is a decent program, but it has a fairly vertical learning curve at first. Most problems are user error. Don't worry. We have all made the same mistakes, and can help you through it. We can't see your computer, or what you are doing, so we need fairly detailed information to help you. You are our eyes and ears. Tell us what you see, and we can help you get it sorted out.
    edit:spelling.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/08/14 21:07:50

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/14 21:18:35 (permalink)
    1. Create a MIDI track.
    2. Enter MIDI data with a) MIDI keyboard, b) mouse using the piano roll view, c) mouse using the staff view.
    3. Once MIDI track is done, change the output of the MIDI track to a software synthesizer, either TTS-1 or Virtual Synth, is that the name of a software synthesizer?
    4. Click the play button.

coffin13, if you're working in MIDI, soft synths will sound better than the MS Wavetable synth. Is Virtual Synth what you're calling the TTS-1? If it's a brand of soft synth, it may allow only 1 MIDI track per synth, so if you want a piano and drums, you may have to insert a second Virtual Synth. If it's the TTS-1, that will accept input from 16 MIDI channels. A drum track MUST be on channel 10 for the TTS-1 to use it's drum banks, if it's on any other channel but 10, you'll hear some other instrument.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/14 21:35:37 (permalink)
    Just a small clarification on TTS-1. Channel 10 is not critical, but the Preset Rhythm bank is. This bank can be assigned to any channel, but you must have Preset Rhythm selected as the bank to hear drums.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/14 22:33:43 (permalink)
    Coffin13......you asked us to be straight up with you. We are. We are not trying to mislead you. We have helped many here get MC4 working. Back about 9 months ago I was the one asking the same questions you are now asking.....I listened to the advice given to me by Beagle, RobertB, Greg, and others....got the soundcard/interface, did all the things they asked and suddenly....it worked just like it was supposed to....and I've been recording ever since. Most problems are user error...but that, my friend, is easily overcome with patience and instruction and a willingness on your part to do as we instruct.

Ditto on what they all said....

MC is a decent program. Most people who have troubles with MC4 have trouble because they don't listen to the good advice given to them by us...the volunteers who come here to help new users when we could be doing something else...like making music, and/or they keep trying to make MC4 work with a factory soundcard.

You must have the proper tools to do the job and unfortunately, the factory card is not the proper tool. Generally you will have to install a much better card...and listen to the advice given and do the steps and learn the program.

I think what throws people off is the cost of MC is so low..(perceived value) ...$40 for the store bought version, that most think it's a low quality program, (not even) and then they have to go out and buy a new soundcard that costs 5 to 8 times that much.....think of it this way....if you bought Sonar or some other top of the line recording program it would cost way more and the sound card would be the cheapest part of the rig. My first CW was $350 and the soundcard was $150.

Understand this.... that most of the users here that have 3 or more stars in their profile, know what they are talking about....and the advice is good, and if you decide to follow it, you too will be making music. If you decide to ignore the advice, you will probably quit in frustration. It's your choice.....I hope you join us.

If you are willing to spend a few dollars to get the right interface, and listen and learn...you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can do with MC4.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/15 04:15:19 (permalink)
    Jeez what an attitude.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/15 20:24:51 (permalink)
    Next!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/08/16 10:52:30 (permalink)
    I was trying to be nice and help him out.....guess he left the building.

BMI/NSAI

coffin13
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 17:28:41 (permalink)
    oviously your on the calkwalk site and affiliated with calkwalk ergo obligated regardless to help me whether or not u wanna whine and cry whenever your feelings get hurt can u please put aside this and just help me.
    coffin13
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 17:35:27 (permalink)
    well thankx for at least awnsering without constaly whinning about your feelings what do I need to do to get help on this I have gave everything I needed as far as info is there anything I need to do what information do I need Im using vista 32bit a standard video card with realtek.There was nothing wrong with the program until I had to install it again.I avoided that issue by using it as a admin.Vista is rediculous at times..lol anyways the prob. Im having is the playback when it comes to virutal synth Im using MC4 It used to work but now it only play the first portion and then wont play the other portion only just the first part.Im using pianoroll for all transcribes.anyways I guess get back to me when u can

thankx
    coffin13
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 17:38:31 (permalink)
    yes I know this cause I have got the help I needed before but they never awnser me even when I provide the correct problems and info.Well I guess I ll keep trying to get threw again and again until I get a awnser.
    coffin13
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 17:41:34 (permalink)
    yes I know this but it goes for all parts it only plays the first portion then stops the audio is there any way to reverse this or turn on or off something .I was begining to think it was do with the audio properties portion I dunno I guess I'll keep asking questions eventually I will get a awnser.
    Robomusic
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 18:12:18 (permalink)
    For the last time we are all users here not support, we are in not way obilgated to answer you, or help you in any way. We help each other here because we want to, not cause we have to. Dude you have never gave anyone here a straight answer, you have been asked at least ten time what virtual instrument, still no answer. Fly away little bird.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2008/10/21 18:24:00

Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 18:42:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coffin13

oviously your on the calkwalk site and affiliated with calkwalk ergo obligated regardless to help me whether or not u wanna whine and cry whenever your feelings get hurt can u please put aside this and just help me.

you are out of your mind! I'm not obligated to do ANYTHING for you! and with your sorry attitude I never will! I'm a user, I do NOT work for cakewalk and I do NOT have any obligation to you or anyone else.

Get lost!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 18:52:26 (permalink)
    C13...

man you just don't listen. good luck trying to get hold of the Cakewalk staff....it sure ain't us.

BMI/NSAI

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 19:14:40 (permalink)
    And my mother called ME "thick headed"!!!!!!!!! Of course I was a teenager then.

I also tried to reply nicely on another thread, but that doesn't work either.

Coffin,

I take serious exception to the way you are treating the people on this forum who are volunteering their time to support new users because Cakewalk does not supply that service (not good service anyway). Cakewalk, as far as I know, provides the forum, and everything else if left to the users. I would not be where I am today with recording music if it had not been for these VOLUNTEERS devoting their time to help out. If I could I would kiss their feet for helping me out, but unfortunately none of them are neighbours so I can't do that! (Don't all start moving now!)

So, if you want help, you better come up with some serious sucking up, but like I said on the other post, you most likely have already burned those bridges. This latest thread pretty much confirms it for me.

Your loss. Oh, and if you really want to know...just phone Cakewalk, see if you can get through, and remain patient for at least 20 minutes, and ask them about their our afiliation with them. Oh, and I hope you are from the US; otherwise, there is no toll free number.

Maybe you like negative attention? I think that's what I teenagers like too! They don't give up on anything unless you give them what they want on their terms and conditions. So far, they are losing too! Something to think about.

Edit; spelling - no guarntee I got them all!
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/10/21 19:20:12

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Robomusic
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 21:25:37 (permalink)
    The Real pointhere is that Cakewalk does not offer any support beyond e-mail for MC, it is just an entry level program designed to get you started, and lead you to Sonar.

So we are it, and i am afraid then coffin is SOL!

Music Town
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 22:04:23 (permalink)

Coffin Thirteen = One Fifth Cretin

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/21 23:46:39 (permalink)
    I wonder if this moron has the loop set.
    Hey moron, the program comes with a help file. Figure it out yourself.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 06:41:23 (permalink)
    Ummmm let me get this straight,start one thread,insults everyone,gets nowhere,then starts another thread,gets no answers because questions are the same as the first thread.Reminds me of the Talking Heads song.......same as it ever was....same as it ever was.......same as it ever was...........................
    post edited by cato54321 - 2008/10/22 06:47:25

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 07:46:20 (permalink)
    And in spite of the rhetoric here...

If C13 came back, apologized, and started answering the questions...without the sarcasm,

I'll bet he would get exactly the help he was seeking before this whole thing started....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/22 07:49:57

BMI/NSAI

mgcain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 10:39:27 (permalink)
    He'd be better served by taking all the money he spent on his computer, MC4, and instruments and bought a Dale Carnegie course...

Its really a shame that some people have so much pent up anger that they approach the world like this.

Agreed with Herb that if he came up here, apologized and remained civil, he'd get very good help,

anyone taking bets on when that will happen?

Coffin13 - I pity you that you are such and angry person and so unhappy. We are a community here. All users who share a passion for music and to help others. We won't make time for your antics and will simply ignore any further posts and insults from you...

Enjoy the rest of your life, it'll be over before you know it, and you will have left nothing here but memories of you bad-ass attitude when it is...what a shame.

Mitch
    Music Creator 4, Pentium Dual Core 3 ghz 2 GB RAM,
    Ovation Acoustic, Schecter Electric, SM58 Mic, SHS Audio 802-d Mixer,M-Audio Delta-44 Sound Card, TC Helicon VoiceLive, This Forum
    Robomusic
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 15:33:20 (permalink)
    I think the key to this is at the end of his name the number 13. Most likey his age. I say don't coax him back, don't stroke his foolishness, just let him marinate in the lack of help. If he wants help he can ask. But for me from now on it will take a sincere apology to get my help. I doubt that will happen since he did not even seem to understand how badly he sounded, or how poor his post were. To him we were the rude ones for not answering a question that lacked most of the vital information needed to make a decent assesment of his problem. He can't just come to a realization of his wrong conduct here, cause he lacks the maturity to make that connection. i suggest we all let it go and move on. If the kid decedes that his pride is less important than his lack of knowledge, he will come around and ask for help the right way.

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 15:36:42 (permalink)
    Sad thing is... if you click his profile, there's a picture...assuming it's him.... he's definately old enough to know better than to behave like he did.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    RE: Question about virtual Synth 2008/10/22 15:47:23 (permalink)
    Yeah i see that now, and his myspace is a tad creepy as well. So what we have here is an adult acting like a 13 year old. Hmmm sad! We have seen a few of these over the years here and else where. Acidplanet was famous for this stuff, sadly it always ended badly for the offenders, and was irritating for the regulars.

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1