Question on General MIDI

Author
DanM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/01/03 18:45:10 (permalink)

Question on General MIDI

Excuse this simplistic question but I've been out of the audio field for 15 years. Can Dimension Pro be conveniently used for playing a variety of General MIDI files?

I persume a Dimension Pro configuration can be saved within Sonar using a Sysx command but my concern is that the large number of General MIDI instruments would be too much for Dimension Pro or the 1 gig of RAM in my computer. I'm not interested in the General MIDI sound effects but there is still a lot of instrument sounds in the General MIDI definition.

If not feasible, does everyone just use one of the Roland Sound Canvas-type soft synths for General MIDI and then use Dimension for more serious work?

Thanks,
dan

5 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Question on General MIDI 2006/01/03 20:53:26 (permalink)
    I have no idea if D pro can do GM. If a template exists but. I'm running I gig ram on my DAW and I've yet to hit the wall. With that said if you were to open a GM project with VSC and then substitute Dpro on all tracks with appropriate voices I'd think you would notice the difference ;)+) sound quality wise.

I've always done this with any GM sequence as the GM soundset on VSC is just not quite there, I do have quite a few synths I can substitute for The GM set but it does take a little work to get it right.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Question on General MIDI 2006/01/04 07:44:39 (permalink)
    Excuse this simplistic question but I've been out of the audio field for 15 years. Can Dimension Pro be conveniently used for playing a variety of General MIDI files?

It can't, sorry. Dimension Pro is not GM capable.

-René
    CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Question on General MIDI 2006/01/06 14:37:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanM

Like Rene said, DP is not a GM synth and it doesn't have the exact same set of intruments.

However. you could probably use many of the instruments in DP in place of the GM counter parts. And it would probably sound much better than most GM synths.

Native Instruments Bandstand is a GM compatible soft synth. There are others out there too.

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Question on General MIDI 2006/01/06 15:50:18 (permalink)
    You could use the SFZ soundfont player. Free on the KVR site. There should be plenty of gm SFs out there, too.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    meelis
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: Question on General MIDI 2013/06/18 13:59:59 (permalink)
    Right, Dimension Pro is quite far from being usable as GM instrument, but for fun and for my own use I tried to find factory patches as close to General MIDI instruments as possible. Some are identical, some are only very loosely related and there might be better matches than I found. Sounds from Expansion Packs 1 and 2 were used as well. While I haven't find similar attempts before, I thought it might have sense to publish my results.

www dot fileswap dot com slash dl slash lZKFMfGlYY

(as a new member I am not able to publish links)
    post edited by meelis - 2013/06/18 14:03:08
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1