Question on inputs for UA-25ex

Author
SYorksBear
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2017/04/21 08:56:40 (permalink)

Question on inputs for UA-25ex

Hi all,
I've recently got a Tubemeister 36 combo guitar amp and am looking to use the inbuilt "Red Box" DI to connect to my UA-25ex for recording.
The amp DI output is a male XLR, the UA-25ex has combo XLR/phone inputs (also has switchable power for a microphone preamp).

According to the Tubemeister info I should "use a microphone cord to patch this signal to a mixing console.  Make sure the mixing console's XLR input is set to line level.  If the mixing console lacks XLR inputs or if these cannot be set to line level, you will need an XLR-to-6.3mm (1/4")-jack adapter."

Pretty sure I could go XLR to XLR connection between my amp and the UA-25ex but i'm not sure about getting a line level on the audio interface.  I don't want to fry anything (obviously) and the mic preamp on the UA-25ex clouds things a bit for me.  The manual for my UA-25ex doesn't appear to me to give a definitive answer on the XLR inputs being able to provide a line level.

Is it worth trying to go XLR - XLR for this connection or should I just go with the XLR - 6.3mm Jack connection?  Clearly I'm no expert but I'd like to get the best sound/connection possible.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Ged

1 Reply Related Threads

bwbalint
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    Re: Question on inputs for UA-25ex 2017/04/27 02:20:56 (permalink)
    I definitely leave the phantom power off. But I would think you could use a balanced xlr connection out to trs cable into the ua-25 and get just as good sound. And then you would have a line level connection.

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1