Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture

Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
2006/07/01 19:39:29 (permalink)

Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture

This is probably a dumb question but I'm confused as to how to save Rapture programs and how Sonar calls them back up.

For example I created a couple of custom Rapture sounds while using Sonar 4 Home Studio. Each got its own track pair. I went ahead and saved them as programs. But when I saved and then re-opened the Sonar project, the Rapture instances came up, with the sounds I had created, but without the names I had saved, as if Sonar saves Rapture edits in a different place than where you would save Rapture programs. (Whew, I'm confused just writing that)

Can someone please help me with how to properly save Rapture sounds I create within a Sonar 4 Home Studio project.

BTW - I am sooooo pattern oriented, especially as I experiment w/ Rapture. Using Sonar 4 is definitely the wrong program for me. I bet you can guess which is the right program!

8 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/01 20:02:50 (permalink)
    With in Sonar all edits are saved but if you want to access that sound outside that project you do need to save a prog in rapture. If you have not done so you could open rapture, save as, and see the default save location. do a new folder mystuff and then save all your progs to that folder.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/01 21:09:41 (permalink)
    Thanks, Larry. Let me get this straight - if I'm in a hurry, I can just hit save for the Sonar project, and all Rapture instances will be saved with all edits? Then, if I want to use those in other projects, either in Sonar or somewhere else, I would need to open the Sonar project and save each Rapture instance as a program?

Does this work the same way in Project 5? Sure is convenient to only hit save once!
    awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/01 21:12:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

Thanks, Larry. Let me get this straight - if I'm in a hurry, I can just hit save for the Sonar project, and all Rapture instances will be saved with all edits? Then, if I want to use those in other projects, either in Sonar or somewhere else, I would need to open the Sonar project and save each Rapture instance as a program?

Does this work the same way in Project 5? Sure is convenient to only hit save once!

Sonar will save the state of your VST/DXi instruments. However, to be on the safe side, I would just save the Rapture patch itself too. You will need to save it in order to use it in other Sonar projects.
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/01 21:47:23 (permalink)
    And by saving the prog in rapture and reloading it in Sonar YOU HAVE IN EFFECT snagged it all. No sence doing the open project save the patch thing. Always save that patch in Rapture then reload it up.

Some simple edits are project specific and don't need to be saved. But if your doing patch creation you do need to save as so It can be used all round.
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/07/01 21:59:39
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/01 23:19:53 (permalink)
    Sonar will save the state of your VST/DXi instruments. However, to be on the safe side, I would just save the Rapture patch itself too.
    Agreed. There's something additional to consider here. The patch itself gets the 'saved-state' treatment in the song persistence of a project, but whatever .wav or other audio files within it do not. So it's quite possible that if the audio is altered in some way (upgraded .wav set, or within an audio editor), your project will no longer sound the same.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/02 00:00:22 (permalink)
    Oy, another reason hardware is still not dead. I know - you'd have to do the same thing in hardware, but at least you know you have to do it.
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/02 09:35:27 (permalink)
    When you load a program in Rapture, and then you edit it, and then save your song, all your edits to the program are stored in the song. That's the same for SONAR, Project5, Cubase SX, Digital Performer and any other host. Hitting save once will do.

The most common scenario is to have 'program edits for X song', therefore in general it's good not to save those edits in the original program. This way, you can load them into another song, and do different edits, etc.

If you load a program in Rapture, edit it, and then decide that the edit will be reusable more than the original, then simply go to Rapture program menu and select 'Save'. Every new song or Rapture instance will load the program with your edits after that.

If after loading the program, you decide that the program is worthy to be reused but do not want to lose the original, simply go to Rapture program menu and select 'Save As', and give your edit a new name. After that, you can just load your patch as any other.

Usually, I do not save the programs, unless I'm doing strictly sound design. The songs themselves serve as repository for tweaks.
    I wouldn't see how anything in hardware would result in anything so convenient as save-and-all-is-in-the-song, but it might be just me

-René
    Rick McNab
    RE: Question re: how Sonar deals w/ Rapture 2006/07/02 17:35:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, R, that makes it crystal clear. You are right - tweaks might better belong in the song. However learning purposes, it might be cool to save them, since disk space is sure cheap these days. Just need to make sure my filing system remains organized.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1