Author
danevaz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2017/11/14 04:45:40 (permalink)

Questions On Using Take Lanes

Hey All,

Another "new to Sonar" question.

Recorded a complete vocal take on an audio track. Recorded an alternate take (take lane 2) starting halfway through the song and continuing to the end of the song (hoping to pick the best sections from the two takes and combine into one keeper take).

I can't switch back to the original take once the second (alternate) take starts playing back halfway through the song. The second half of the original take seems to have gotten replaced by the alternate take (the second half of the original take appears grayed out in take lane 1).

The alternate take seems to have replaced the original take from half way through the song to the end, and I can't seem to access the the sections in the original take I want to restore (or copy) in order to comp them back in to the keeper take.

I  don't think i was in "Punch In" mode - I just recorded a second take on the 2nd take lane.

I'm guessing it's user error - but any advice would help.

Thanks,
Danny V.

2 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Questions On Using Take Lanes 2017/11/14 05:45:49 (permalink)
    I don't use take lanes but I think you need to be in Comping Mode found in recording preferences.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

danevaz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Questions On Using Take Lanes 2017/11/14 18:02:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm in Comping mode.  Turns out I didn't know how to merge the two takes.  So I RTFM on Comping.

The Smart Tool displays an icon (which I didn't recognize - the Comping Tool) when your mouse is in the bottom half of a take lane's clip display.  All I had to do was drag the "Comp Tool" and highlight the section of the take lane's clip I wanted "comped" into the main track's clip and it worked (and inserted fades between the sections of the comped track - very nice) .  The problem was I inadvertently had the original Take 1 clip's take lane muted - so it wasn't working last night.

Actually it's a pretty neat/easy method of creating a "comp."

Danny V.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1