Helpful ReplyQuestions to X3 users from an X2 user

Author
RevBob
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2013/11/25 11:32:08 (permalink)

Questions to X3 users from an X2 user

Howdy,
I upgraded to X1 tempted by the skylight interface and prochannel. Then I quickly jumped in with both feet and upgraded to X2 cause I really wanted track lanes to work. However I have had issues that have been frustrating during sessions, and was really disappointed that a further update did not happen before this release(X3). Before I consider X3 I need to know a few specifics:

1) Track lanes - I have had an issue with track lanes where previous takes will play, even when muted. Its intermittent but muted take lanes will be audible, forcing me to unmute all the takes, mute again, sometimes even save and reopen a project so I can continue a session. This is my biggest current headache - are the new Take Lane/Comping features more stable?

2) ProChannel - While crashing issues were resolved, some modules can be noisey, especially when adjusting during playback. Having compression on a lot of individual tracks may produce instability...is this any cleaner/more stable?

3) Smart Tool/Smart Grid - is it any smarter? I liked the basic use of this in X1, but the way it decides to change the grid settings while editing seems counter intuitive for some tools in X2. For example, when working with transients I find it constantly reseting to 1/4 or 1/8 when I am working in smaller increments. I know you can turn these features off, but once its at the point you have to turn things on/off to use them, it seems no longer usefull shortcut.

4) Melodyne and Izotope RX2 - I use these tools as part of my workflow and had a lot of issues trying to use them in X2. They didn't integrate well at all and I found myself exporting tracks and working outside of Sonar to use these tools then bringing them back in afterwards. The clip fx tools just weren't working well:it was hard to cue sections, I had drop outs or weird inconsistencies between clips - over all the process in X2 was pretty much a mess if you had to work on larger clips or had to edit something in the middle of a clip. Does this work any better in general? If you have a full version of Melodyne is it fully functional within X3 without being glitchy?

All of the above are features advertised as steps forward in X3, but I was hoping for user feedback, especially those of you who have used X1/X2.

Lastly - I know there has been whining for a while on these, but: Has there been any noticeable improvements with either Notation or working with Video? ANY? I understand that Notation is not a focus, but my last midi import from Finale was a train wreck which requires a thread in of itself. And I don't expect video editing features, but importing video should be easier. Issues with format, codecs, and compatability should be improved - I mean you can't get people to check out music online without a video. I can't control what clients send me for clips, so playing a guessing game on what will work or not and keeping converters on standby whenever a new project starts has become more involved than it should be.

Thank you - I look forward to hear your input and opinions.

Rain Computers Ion Studio Custom PC Xeon 8-core 3.1ghz processor, Win7 Pro 64x, 24gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5450, Sonar X2 Producer Expanded 64x, NI Komplete, Kore 2, Maschine, SoundminerHD, Adobe Premier and Audition, MOTU 828mk3, M-Audio Axiom, Event20/20 Monitors
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Questions to X3 users from an X2 user 2013/11/25 11:58:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RevBob 2013/11/25 12:36:37
As always, experiences will vary, but i will try to give a fair answer to the parts of your question I have some certainty on.

1.  Comping is HUGELY improved.  Imo they are more stable and more intuitive to use.
2. Honestly, I never had this issue, so I cant say if it's improved. 
3. Another one that i never noticed this issue so I have no idea.
4. Using melodyne with SOnar may now be easier than with any other DAW.  The ARA integration works great and seems to be stable.  It may be the best implemented part of the upgrade. X3 comes with Essentials, but Editor works just as well.  If you have an older version , you may will need to upgrade.

There are small notation fixes (there is a big recent thread on the topic that goes ingto detail) but nothing revolutionary .  No video changes, but the next patch will be addressing the issues you spoke of.  It will allow Sonar to play more file types natively.
RevBob
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: Questions to X3 users from an X2 user 2013/11/25 12:36:26 (permalink)
Thanks dd, that's very helpful. Those 2 improvements alone would make a huge difference in my workflow.

Rain Computers Ion Studio Custom PC Xeon 8-core 3.1ghz processor, Win7 Pro 64x, 24gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5450, Sonar X2 Producer Expanded 64x, NI Komplete, Kore 2, Maschine, SoundminerHD, Adobe Premier and Audition, MOTU 828mk3, M-Audio Axiom, Event20/20 Monitors
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Questions to X3 users from an X2 user 2013/11/25 12:39:28 (permalink)
I think you will love X3. In almost every way its an improvement over X2.

Best
John
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Questions to X3 users from an X2 user 2013/11/25 13:09:02 (permalink)
+1, as someone who had terrible experiences with X2, I have been pleased with X3.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1