Quiet Instrumental

Author
zgraf
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
2005/04/10 18:11:12 (permalink)

Quiet Instrumental

Has guitar, flute, strings, pads. Comments welcome.

http://www.zgrafsoftware.com/songs/ElRosario.mp3

8 Replies Related Threads

jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/11 22:23:26 (permalink)
    Z:

I like the song. Very peaceful and full of hope.

When the gtr comes in there is a hiss that permeates the rest of the song.

I like the doubled gtr in places. Well timed.

In listening to the song a second time, I really want a crescendo somewhere in the middle third, maybe a Segovia style thunderous run.

At the end, you can really hear the hiss cut out. I am not an engineer, but a songwriter, but that hiss track does not sound like it was part of the same environment as the flute, etc, which sounded flawless from the first note.

Jeff
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/11 22:32:10 (permalink)
    It's about ten minutes since my earlier post and the main theme of your song is still playing in my head. Good job.

Jeff.
    zgraf
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 01:06:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for your kind words, jsykes!

>> When the gtr comes in there is a hiss that permeates the rest of the song.
    Yes, yes. I noticed the guitar hiss myself listening thru phones, and I'm now pretty annoyed and obsessed trying to get rid of it <g>.

Have an old guitar with a "piezo" pickup (i think), and this was the first time I tried recording it direct. There wasn't enough gain from the guitar going straight into my mixer console, so I tried an experiment running the signal thru an 1980s Radio Shack mixer before going into my main console. It seemed to boost the signal, but also (evidently) boosted the noise floor on the guitar channel significantly... I didn't hear the hiss (mixing only with loudspeakers) until it was too late. Big mistake on my part! The other instruments like the flute and strings are from Vsampler or external synths, so they don't have the hiss.

>> I really want a crescendo somewhere in the middle third, maybe a Segovia style thunderous run.
    That would be neat, wouldn't it! Guess if I were even a halfway decent guitarist that might be a possibility! <g>

Thanks again,
    - john
    MightyLeeMoon
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 01:22:12 (permalink)
    Okay...the hiss is there....and you seem to try to hide it....which only makes it obvious that it's there. I might suggest that you let it set there as white noise if you can't get rid of it entirely. Meaning...let it come in first and let it be the last thing that leaves (with subtlety). Don't fade that track out when the guitar stops. Almost gives a feel of listening to a vinyl. And...as a white noise...your head kind of tunes it out (I sort of forgot the hiss was there because I was listening....and then you faded it out and brought it back to my attention) But....if you can get rid of it entirely (maybe re-record with a mic on teh guitar instead of trying to get juice out of the pickup).....I would go that way.

I really like the 'voice' or 'choir' pad. Really set a good ambience for it.

Overall nice song. Thanks for posting.

i throw my self into the arms of that which will betray me.
    i guess to see how far providence will stoop down, just to save me
    http://www.myspace.com/akinderbiography
    http://www.myspace.com/leeneitzel
    zgraf
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 01:30:32 (permalink)
    Thanks MLM. Good suggestions! May try that approach...
    - john
    bdfutch
    • Total Posts : 340
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 08:07:05 (permalink)
    Very good job. I agree with Lee on the white noise. I also got lost in the rest of what was going on. Very nice job on the syth's. I love flute music. I have a good friend who plays and records pan flute music. Usually just like this, simple acoustic and pads. Makes a good combination. Good stuff, man.
    Brian
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 18:15:24 (permalink)
    Very nice peaceful tune. There was a little awkwardness at 0:57, but overall, very smooth.
    kidsoncoffee
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: Quiet Instrumental 2005/04/12 18:38:37 (permalink)
    zgraf

Nce song, I wish wrote as well
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1