RE: A request for some basic Direct Stream Digital editing features...

Author
DJG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/12/09 21:27:58 (permalink)

RE: A request for some basic Direct Stream Digital editing features...

Hi.

I don't know how many Sonar members actually record in direct stream digital but I do. I use a TASCAM DA3000 to record in stereo at double speed DSD or DSDIFF/DSF @ 5.6MHz. I use the DA3000 to record live (from an analogue mixer) in stereo and have also been using it to archive my reel-to-reel multi-track tapes (mixed down to stereo.) I also record in hi-bit PCM for other projects - for the convenience of editing in the format.

I don't want to get into the discussion about why I record in DSD as this is still one of the most polarizing topics in audio today. I'll just say that, like MACs and PCs, there are good and bad points to each system. There are a lot of fans of each type of recording in the audiophile community.

One thing that I will say is that the DSD format severely limits the options available to edit its' files. There are extremely expensive high-end workstations out there but these are beyond the reach of people like me. 

Korg Audiogate software lets you chop up a single dsd file into separate dsd files, combine a couple of files and do crossfades between tracks etc. But the current versions are available to those who buy their (very good quality) player as they have stopped selling their dsd recorders a few years ago.

TASCAM recently came out with their own free Tascam Hi-Rez editor software which can combine two dsd recorded tracks into a single dsd track. On a 64 bit system like mine, it crashed my computer so badly that it resulted in a necessary complete reinstall of the operating system. If you're asking, I did use the newer version of the software which was supposed to be compatible with the Windows 64 bit operating systems.

So I come back to you Sonar software designer gurus. I would really appreciate it if you had a small module which would allow basic editing of dsd files in its' native dsd format (no high bit PCM conversion and then re-conversion to d.s.d.) It might be safer to even have it as a separate program - but you would know better than me the effect of introducing a native DSD editor into Sonar's PCM system.

The more options that you have in this digital download universe, the better chance that you can make your audience happy and maybe listen to your music.

That's my sales pitch for this.

Thanks for your time.

-Dave.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1