REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:24:15 (permalink)
sounds a bit troll-ish... and the way the wording in your post is... well is in "bad form"

but some here know I own sonar / record and reason.. (and cubase)

only reason I bought record is because of the free upgrade when reason 5 comes out.

no need to rewire?, are you sure that isn't SOLELY to do with logic on a mac? as I notice the only video shows logic pro.. you went to a master class , you'll notice James or whoever it was, was using a Mac.. and well mac-centric comments only refer to that.. not pc.

I still need sonar or a DAW at least... why? because VST's.. record can't use them..

I do like reason,yep.. do I need record? not really, but only got it because of the upgrade cost..

oh and while your at it tell props to make their libs 64 bit.. seriously.. I'm "unhappy" that I can't use rex in 64 bit mode NATIVELY in my sequencer... same goes with using Kontakt... it transfers the samples into NI format, all down to props not being on point with their updates

Thor is nice, eXode's libs are exceptional etc.. but well plenty more things I use including Rapture , Sylenth1 , NI products (massive) etc.. well are great also.

so your post makes me laugh , and this is a very old thread , so it makes me think you are trolling.

post edited by Fog - 2010/08/04 13:31:39
Meffy
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 629
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:28:59 (permalink)
Fog

but some here know I own sonar / record and reason..

Same here. I wouldn't want to be deprived of either side of that equation. Each has its own place, and they can work together (though not quite as well as I'd like).

Forget the apples and oranges. To me it's like comparing freshly baked biscotti and molten chocolate. What's to versus about? Combine -- and enjoy both. Yum.
Meffy
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:30:21 (permalink)
Fog

and this is a very old thread
Hm, so it is. I ought not to have replied. Missed that. Ah well.

Fog
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:32:32 (permalink)
thats what makes me think it sounds trollish.. digging up 3 year old thread.hehe

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:41:05 (permalink)
Can't believe this, Pickney. You woke up a THREE YEARS OLD thread for this nonsense. Threads like this are fruitless.

Reason/Record is a closed system. I don't find it tempting. I like VST's.
Why would I buy Reason+Record+Sonar when I can do everything in Sonar?

Have you ever attended a master class for Sonar? After one you might be as excited about it as you are now about R&R.  Your enthusiasm could well root back to not knowing Sonar properly?

Well...if it works for you, it's fine.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/04 13:41:50 (permalink)
They're certainly both very powerful and capable environments. Reason's new features are pretty rad as well. Live sampling dodges around the recording thing, and the "blocks" feature looks pretty amazing....something many of us have been clamoring for for a few years now. 

I've always found ReDrum and Dr. Rex to be kind of antiquated, and the sequencer in Reason to be a bit of a pain. But the modulation's possible with their routing concepts are beyond compare, and some of their synths are pretty mind-blowing. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
mavafamusic
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 00:29:44 (permalink)
I've used Reason with Sonar since the first day I opened and used Sonar.
Out of 50 odd songs one or two are made only with Sonar.

Rewire is the best thing about Reason. It allows you to run Sonar as the master and Reason as the slave.

In fact I have to say that I am turning 50 on the 7th August and as for my present I have just paid for Record for Reason owners. 

I am now eligible to receive  Reason 5 and the Record 1.5 update for free!

Yes I know it cost $200.00AUD but for the whole package, Record, Record 1.5 update and Reason 5.0. I only paid for Record for Reason owners.

This has got to be the best value deal in the whole of the audio software world.

Sonar 8 is next or as soon as I get a copy of Windows 7.

Win 7 Pro x64
3.0 GHz Intel E6850 Core Duo
8GB Ram
Intel DP35DP
Echo Mia Midi
Echo Gina 3G
M-Audio Axiom 49
Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

I thought that love was worth something, I just gave mine away for nothing.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/bbnbroken
Fog
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 00:47:34 (permalink)
it's a nice way of getting rid of old stock also (i.e. record 1 boxes ) .
they doing the same deal here in the UK and it was £100.. but would I have bought record without both free upgrades.. nope.

a friend bought record 1 day earlier without the offer.. and he's ..lets just say "unhappy"
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 01:09:43 (permalink)
scotty L

Ok guys, why is Sonar better than Reason?

The reason why Reason is not good is because it is not a DAW...At least not professional one. I'm sure you can record some audio with it as well still I would not use it. I would not even use it as software synth... Its a semi toy nothing else like the rest of the products from Propellerhead.

The only professional they ever have conquest in 1994 was Rex and rewire technology & Recycle. After that it went just downhill. I'm pretty sure that the guy that invented those technologies is not with the company any longer. Otherwise we have seen 64bit technology and other awesome new stuff years ago.

Nothing new really, they continue to use outdated old 16/32bit technology from the end of 90th.
The truth must be that can't make it better or in 64bit. They are just to incompetent to do so?

I don't know but seem to me that its just a lot of "wanna be"-people running the company that doesn't know anything? I'm amazed that few people still buy their products.

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2010/08/05 01:31:07

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 05:57:02 (permalink)
pickney

Reason up to version 4 was certainly no match for Sonar in any way...
Then came Record allowing proper audio recording and mastering.  I recently attended a master class introduction to Reason 5.  Now there are even more ways to manipulate audio and CV.  No more re-wire issues... (coz there's no need to re-wire at all) no more fiddly input-output issues to mess with (coz everything auto routes... unless you dont want it to)  no more system freeze, overload or crash... its really stable.  No more messy multiple windows...  I could go on.  I have Sonar 8.5 Producer and used Reason/Record in slave mode.  It works ok (ish).  Now I dont need Sonar at all.  There are things in Record/Reason that are simply impossible to re-create in Sonar.  OK there are a couple of synths in Sonar that are really cool, but again, nothing that could not be mimicked with a Thor synth and a bit of application.  Last but not least.  If you find music aint your bag you can sell on your software and transfer your license with no hassle at all!!! 

...Wait!  it aint all bad news for Cakewalk.  I really love the way the arpeggiator works in Sonar.  I also find the notation mode very useful when working with musicians who like to refer to printed music.
  Close enough that we all know what we are talking about. I guess thats reason enough to hold on to my 8.5 for the time being.

Before anyone asks.... No I dont work for Propellerhead. 

...yet, LIKEWISE, there are things in SONAR  that are simply impossible to re-create in Record/Reason...
how about ANY possible plugin (instruments/fx) out there..?
No matter how packed a program can be, there will be times when you need it to be "open-minded-oriented"...
No comparison betwen the two in this sense... and others, possibly....

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

Meffy
Re:REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 10:01:05 (permalink)
Freddie H
I'm amazed that few people still buy their products.

Probably has something to do with Reason being the best-selling music software ever, or one of few top sellers. If it weren't for that, not nearly as many people would buy it.

"Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded."
-- Yogi Berra
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 10:03:22 (permalink)
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=126055

Interesting discussion re Rewire & Sonar going on here.

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
Fog
Re:REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/05 14:28:28 (permalink)
Freddie H

The reason why Reason is not good is because it is not a DAW...At least not professional one. I'm sure you can record some audio with it as well still I would not use it. I would not even use it as software synth... Its a semi toy nothing else like the rest of the products from Propellerhead.

if your silly enough to believe that, you haven't tried it.. then you don't "get it"..  by all means make an informed choice.. but even roland in the past have been impressed with certain things props have done (rebirth being one)

by your comments its obvious you have never used thor for a start or the exode / lizard / flatpack libs for it
try reason pianos + abbey road + drums .. while your at it as well, props excel at sampling.

like others as long as things sound good and are usable thats all that counts to me

post edited by Fog - 2010/08/05 14:33:48
nathan217
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
Re:REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/06 12:16:09 (permalink)
Here's my take...(not that anyone should care)

When I was using my laptop for recording I became frustrated with Sonar 8 and the constant crashing. (It was a 1.8 ghz dual core with about 3 gigs of ram) I did participate in the beta for Record and after they removed the bug reporting software I was floored by how many tracks I was able to run on my laptop compared to what I was able to do in Sonar.

FF to today. I still have Sonar  and Record + Reason. I enjoy using both. I sketch out my ideas on R+R and then port everything to Sonar to add Superior Drummer or SSD and to use Dimension Pro samples.

Nathan Barton

Intel Core i7 860, 8GB DDR3 Sonar PE 8.5.3 Steven Slate Drums  Superior Drummer 2.2.2. Jamstix 3 Line 6 Toneport UX2 Variax 300 M Audio Axiom 61 Amplitube 3
Mix Master
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: REASON vs SONAR PRODUCER? 2010/08/06 12:53:47 (permalink)
OMG..."A man named flaw" (I would have quoted you but I didn't want to waste anymore space), what kind of refer are you smoking, and can I get some of that?  LMAO...

Mix Master

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1