RECORDING PROBLEMS

Author
mocheekss
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/08/11 21:05:24 (permalink)

RECORDING PROBLEMS

Hey Folks,

Here is my delinma, I am recording out of the software that came with my motif, Yamaha (SQO1) Everything was working fine until 2days ago. Here is the dreaded story. I can't get sound unless I unplug my cables from the speakers that came with my computer. Now it was working fine 2days ago. One good thing I have notice, I can play my motif without the computer being on.

2days ago I can't. I don't know what I did to make this happen but it happen. However, whatever I did, might have hinder me from recording. I recorded weeks ago. I can't get no feedback. Cables were hooked up the same when the problem was detected. I don't know what happen. But as of today, it's official that I can't record nothing nor hear unless I unplug the cable connected to my computer. Something is blocking the input.

I have out-put when I unhook the cable that is connect to the monitor speaker and the motif. I have my motif hooked up to a 6 channel mixer (EURORACK MX602A) You know that $60.00 dollar mixer. I was tricked by a desperate salesman into getting it. So can somebody please help me. I can't record at all. As a result of trying to solve this problem, I deleted 31 beats from the motif. Bummer :-( But Thank You in Advance)

just hanging loose

6 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/11 23:41:54 (permalink)
    Sounds like you don't know how to setup your equipment. Have you read the Desktop Music Handbook? http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/desktop.asp

Your keyboard should be connected to your mixer. One set up outputs from the mixer should go to your computer. Another should go to your amp and monitors, that is, unless you want to monitor through your computer speakers, which is ill-advised.

Check your connections and make sure you have the outputs connected to the inputs and vice-versa. Also make sure you have the proper cables with the correct plugs on them.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    mocheekss
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/11 23:53:39 (permalink)
    I do use my computer speakers, LOL. I am trying to teach myself how this studio stuff work. For now I have to use my computer speakers. it worked at first but now, I don't know what's going one. tell me what's going on. Oooo0, O, I -yi-yi-y- yi-yi-yi, O lol.

just hanging loose
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/12 00:27:15 (permalink)
    I do use my computer speakers, LOL. I am trying to teach myself how this studio stuff work.

To learn how "this studio stuff work" you really need to use external monitor speakers. They can be active (independently powered) or passive (in which case you'll need a power amp connected to your mixer's "control room" output)...Not only does this type of setup simplify your cable connections, it will provide far more decent quality when listening to playback...Even the cheapest of external monitors will, normally, outperform any standard PC speaker system...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    mocheekss
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/12 00:44:37 (permalink)
    Hey papa,

Thanks! I'm gonna do that but meanwhile what do I do about this problem. Man I can't get any feed with I hook my mixer to my computer.
    On the side of the speakers are to plug ins, the bottom one is for is the in port on the speakers that comes with the computer. the port above it is for earphones. I don't know what to do, now. I want to be able to play my keyboard and hear the radio, or music as I play my board. I can't do that. Plus this problem has enable my ability to record audio and playback.

Bla, Bla, Bla

just hanging loose
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/12 11:34:26 (permalink)
    mocheekss,

we can't really get a handle on your technical problem. You should have your motiff audio plugged inot the mixer. The mixer output should go to your computer soundcard input (that will need an adaptor to 1/8 inch input). If you have a built-in soundcard (as opposed to even something like an Creative SB or Audigy) you probably only have a single output from you card. That will have to go directly to your speakers in order to hear your computer. If you plug in the mixing board into the speakers, you will have to take the sound card output and put it back into your mixer, along with your motif. That means you have to turn your mixer on in order to hear your computer sounds, but it will work for music.

And Papa is right, you'll probably be putting more and more money into your hobby - start saving. The music tech magazines are a great resource, so buy some of them. And your behringer deck is OK, if limited. But you will need a new sound card, at the very least.

You might want to give a look at The ScotMan Review ( http:bnoirfilm.tripod.com )where I deal with many newbie issues. It is still a work in progress (very slow), but might give you some tips and hints.

good luck.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    GuitarMan56
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: RECORDING PROBLEMS 2005/08/12 23:20:42 (permalink)
    mocheekss,

Follow this link for good info on how to hookup a mixer:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm

Check these instructions for using an MX802A, which is similar to what you are using.

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4345&start=8&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Good luck!
    post edited by GuitarMan56 - 2005/08/12 23:36:32

Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1