REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/09 19:12:16 (permalink)
This mix sounds great, Mark! Kudos!

String Jammer
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/09 20:37:44 (permalink)
So the question is, what is better? Unsubstantiated praise or constructive criticism? I see too often where people generate music that is total garbage and others say "good job" or "that's killer" or whatever other praise only to boost the musicians esteem. The musicians put their hearts into it but never improve because they think the crap they play is good. They end up playing the same crap over and over and never progress. Since they put so much feeling and work into their songs, they get too tied up in it and end up getting offended when they do hear the real truth. Unsubstantiated praise does more harm than good. If anyone really takes the time to actually read and understand my comments, there is a true and accurate basis. I state my case and opinion along with suggestions on how to improve the music I hear. My suggestion is that you at least consider my points. It's totally up to you to agree or not. I'm not here to call others names like jamesyoyo or beagle, only to give my opinion and suggestions on the songs. If musicians can't take the opinions of those who differ from their own they they have no business publishing their works.
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/09 20:56:19 (permalink)
so prove me wrong.  post a song of yours for review.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/09 20:56:50 (permalink)
Your music link?  Musicians appreciate all criticism from other musicians.  Where are your credentials?  Last comment till you show your music.
TO ALL MY FRIENDS, PLEASE IGNORE THIS GUY UNTIL HE POSTS HIS MUSIC.  IT'S NOT WORTH EXTENDING THE THREAD FOR THIS GARBAGE.  THANK YOU!!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/09 22:49:48 (permalink)
Well **** pistole pete!!! Hey Warren, I don't mind it but the mix is a little over whelming.  For me this type of music doesn't need to be so loud.  It detracts from what is a really nice tune.

I don't mind the vocals, very heartfelt. nice playing too.

The only other critisim is the reverb on the drums is a bit too much it needs to come down a tad, maybe also you need to cut some of the frequencies as Shad, has suggeted.

Don't worry about deadbeat pete, I think when you deliver a heartfelt song in the way that you did obviously deadbeat pete doesn't have much heart to understand the qualties of the song.

Nice job Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 01:11:24 (permalink)
pistolpete

So the question is, what is better? Unsubstantiated praise or constructive criticism? I see too often where people generate music that is total garbage and others say "good job" or "that's killer" or whatever other praise only to boost the musicians esteem. The musicians put their hearts into it but never improve because they think the crap they play is good. They end up playing the same crap over and over and never progress. Since they put so much feeling and work into their songs, they get too tied up in it and end up getting offended when they do hear the real truth. Unsubstantiated praise does more harm than good. If anyone really takes the time to actually read and understand my comments, there is a true and accurate basis. I state my case and opinion along with suggestions on how to improve the music I hear. My suggestion is that you at least consider my points. It's totally up to you to agree or not. I'm not here to call others names like jamesyoyo or beagle, only to give my opinion and suggestions on the songs. If musicians can't take the opinions of those who differ from their own they they have no business publishing their works.

There's nothing wrong with constructive crits, but there should always be a professional delivery. If you truly are a professional, I'd be willing to bet you had your share of songs that were sub par, yes? If so, once you learn how to do things the right way, isn't it enough of a joy to be able to do that and then help people with a smile on your face?

You're not Simon Cowell bro....and he's lucky he gets away with it. He's harsh, sometimes VERY wrong and makes a mockery of people because he's on top. Take his connections and money away and the guy is nothing. He can't play or sing a lick. Sometimes he's on with his comments, most times he's just a voice showing off his power like some cops abuse their badge.

For what it's worth, I like to consider myself a professional and I didn't hear any of the things you mentioned in your critique to the extent in which you went out of your way to attack these fine gents more than help them. Were the vocals a bit pitchy in spots? Maybe a little, but nothing that I would comment about because none of it was "out of key" to the point of making me cringe. The singer has a thick vibrato at times....I thought it was perfect for the song and his voice is pro sounding.

The guitar parts were fine for the song. If you don't like this style of music you should at least investigate into it a bit more before you sound off so harsh. The solo was fine and was melodic. The mix was solid and the use of reverb was a nice touch. People bash on those that use effects because "you're not supposed to hear them". Pff...that's a joke. It's only too much when it drowns something out and masks something. I hear no issues here.

People get offended when you come out with your guns blazing without having a heart or sharing your own musical credibility. There's just no reason for it. There's a nicer way you could have put this to the guys without unsubstantiated praise. To start your post with "out of key is more like it" is so wrong, a huge hand should have come out when you hit the submit button and smacked you across the face like a child that curses. Your tact and delivery sucks to the point of where your credibility (no matter who you are) will never hold any weight here. I'm never a push-over or an easy sell when it comes to the critiques I give people here.

But there has never been a time where I have posted something degrading to someone who was in need of help. There's just no reason for it and you're not helping anyone but your own sense of entertainment because you know you're going to get a rise out of people. They work hard on this stuff...some are not pro's and are just having fun releasing music. They deserve truthful comments and we should always try to help them and constructively comment without turning into a Richard Cranium. No one needs to take critques that come in the form of abuse, pompous or high and mighty....and unfortunately, that's exactly how you came off here...for what it's worth.

That said, great song guys...because it is great and is very well done. Mix was really good too. Nothing lept out to me as bad, wrong or a bad decision. I like effects....I like a little pitchiness in vocals at times...it adds character. Nothing made me cringe because it was "out of key". The instruments worked well together, all good instrument selections for the song, vocal was strong and eq'd well. Might be a touch too much on the verb for the masses, but it sat well with me.

My only critique/possible issue would be during the guitar solo. I felt it could have been compressed a little more or volume automated so that it didn't leap out like it did at times. Sometimes it was balanced, other times it just seemed to come on too strong. A nice compressor would have done wonders there...or a little more compression if one was being used. Or, some volume automation and it would be perfect. That's all I can come up with though....great job fellas! :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 01:16:07 (permalink)
Simon Cowell is to music what Van Gogh's ear was to art.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
evadianepug
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 09:50:34 (permalink)
James- Thanks for listening and commenting.  Mark has lowered the reverb and other things.  The vocal reverb seemed to be the biggest crit.  I think it's better now.  Waddya tink?

Herb- My bad.  I even thought the bass was too loud but didn't tell Mark.  He works hard on these things and sometimes I'll wait till this community hears it.  I shouldn't do that.  I love a big bass sound but not so much on this tune.  I actually realized that I never replaced the original bass I did to be simple for the other instruments to play to.  So, this is bass 101 and should probably be done again!  Thanks for listening, buddy!

Rob- Mark addressed all of your suggestions.  They were good ones.  Thanks for listening and please let us know if it's mo-betta.

Wookster- Thanks for listening and commenting.  I still wish I could find a singer for this tune.  I hear these things that I am not capable of and it's kinda frustrating.  I appreciate your comments!

Robby- You were right.  I heard it but ignored it.  I thought it was the drums and didn't know how to change that.  Mark fixed it though.  Good call!!  Thanks.

Reece- Thanks for listening and commenting.  I think that Mark fixed the issues with the vocals and timing AFTER your post.  I think I saw your post farther down here (I'm way behind).  I hope you think it's better.  I'll look as I post here.  Thanks, beag!!

Ed- Thanks.  Can you believe that we both thought the bass was too loud?!  What's happening to us?  LOL

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 10:03:16 (permalink)
It's been a while..., but mmmm mmmm, nice and silky smooth. Very well done to all involved. 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 10:11:23 (permalink)
I think it's better now. Waddya tink?
I tink it's better too. :-) I have one nit-pick - the very first vocal line is muffled and I had to rewind it to hear what it was - a little envelope lift there maybe?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
evadianepug
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 10:37:45 (permalink)
Frank- Thanks for the comments.  I have a Symetrix compressor that can go inline with the mic.  Is something like that what you are talking about, or a compressor in the actual recording program?  I wasn't even using a pop filter, so I'm going dirty here.  I'll see if Mark knows what you are talking about.  LOL.... "riding the mic" is very appropriate.  This vocal was recorded a couple years ago and I was going to do it over but after the surgery, I haven't able to do any better on this one.  Not enough practice, I guess.  Anyway, thanks for commenting, it's good stuff and I'm sure Mark is reading this.  Like you said, I don't know if he can do anything with it now but we'll sure check it out!!

Lynn- Thanks for listening again.  We appreciate it!

Robby- Thanks again.

Reece- Thanks again!  Hey, I just fixed my BBQ grille after many months.  I thought of you and we're having BBQ becan today!   :-)

James-  Thanks for your comments.   It IS appreciated.

Mark (MGH)- It was the Strummie/pistolpete thread I found when I was investigating who this guy is and what kind of music he does.  I knew I was in trouble after reading some of that!  Still no music links from him, though. 

Reece- You addressed this perfectly.  I would have accepted this a lot better had I not initially posted that this is a difficult song to sing and not my type to sing.  Maybe he didn't read that part. 

Freddy- Thanks, buddy.  You know, I appreciate your comment on the emotions.  There are many singers that can sing this better, but I don't think anyone could give more emotion to it (or attempt to).  It's about a relationship 34 years ago that really tore me up.  Thank God that one failed because I have 28 years with a wonderful woman and that wouldn't have happened if the other relationship worked out.  She was beautiful but devious and mean.  I wouldn't have know what "out of love" is because I had never been really in love till I met Ruth.  Funny how things workout, huh?

Kev- We really appreciate you listening and commenting.  You know, that intro sax and Mark's lead both are inspiring to me.  They captured the pure emotion of the song.  I like your new tune!!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/10 11:15:47 (permalink)
I think you're a bit hard on yourself with the vocal issue, but I know what you mean - I can never get anything to sound the way it does in my head.

Only listening on lappy speakers, but this pretty darn good all the same. I agree with james re the opening line, a little indistinct and could use a lift. I always think it's almost the most important line to thry and get right - first impressions and all that...

Sax sounds great too.

Nice work fellas - it's a toss up between you and Daryl C in the battle for the forum "too smooth to move"  title at the moment !
evadianepug
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/26 20:08:24 (permalink)
Scotty- Thanks, buddy!

Beagle- I have a theory that our Pete posts under another name and his music would give away his identity.   Ya tink?

Ben- Thanks for your comments.  A lot of good points, all taken with gratitude!

Danny- Wow, you really went into detail here and I think it's great.  We've been up here for years and are ALWAYS open to crits and suggestions.  The fact that I said up front that I wasn't satisfied with the vocal but had waited too long for another singer obviously fell on some deaf ears.  This one was about the song and the players who helped me.  That "poster" was crude and as I told Beagle, I believe he has an alter ego up here and can't post his music because it would give him away.  Anyway thanks, buddy for the time you took and the things you said!!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
evadianepug
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/26 20:17:38 (permalink)
Craig- LOL!!

jc- Thanks, man.  Haven't seen ya for awhile!

James- I'm still looking for a singer and probably won't do anything more to it until I have one.  This one really beat me down, well one poster did,  and I didn't even post for awhile after the controversey over the song.  All of the crits were valid and we addressed a lot of them.  One was just deflating because you just can't do anything about him.  If you do a hundred good things and one bad thing what do you think people remember?  LOL!  Thanks, my friend.  I'll work on that first line.  Yours wasn't the only suggestion about that.

Paulo- Thanks!!  Yeah, what is in my head rarely sounds the same when it's done.  I hear this great ballad singer and then I hear me.  Oh, I'm not a bad rock singer but this just isn't my style.  Your comments are appreciated.

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/26 20:43:55 (permalink)
Yeah, I just listened again, it sounds like Mark nailed whatever I was hearing between the drums and bass. This is much better and allows me to enjoy the overall groove/vibe of the song, which is most excellent on many levels.

I really like the keys, but hey? You have a pretty talented keyboard player ;-)

Your vocals really work well on this. And I like the live feel to the drums, and the high school "slow dance" color my world thang you have going on here. Crotches griding? Prom dresses flying willy-nilly?

Good job on the remix.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/06/28 16:34:50 (permalink)
Just listened again. This time on my lappy with buds. I like the mix. I don't know if you replaced or fixed the bass part but this sounded good. 

After reading all the comments that came after my first post..... I listened with those in mind. 

I did love the simplicity of the lead. It fit the groove of the song exceptionally well.  A fancy guitar part played well would not have added the character to this song like that part did.  

well done all the way around. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/07/02 22:39:48 (permalink)
+1

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

THE NIGHT FOX
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/07/02 23:41:39 (permalink)

Hey Warren love this tune and that SAX where can I find one that sounds as good as the real one your using in this tune ? I have been working on my newest almost two weeks now and wanted to add some SAX to one of my verses and can't find one in my collection of synth instruments .
I love a great sounding sax , in this song its perfect !

Nice going guys !
James
theguitarplayer
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3523
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/07/03 00:04:13 (permalink)
Warren, Don't know what you have done to the song this far down the line, but from what I can hear through my awesome headphones you have nailed it! What a beautiful song and everything seems to fit together perfectly. A great and wonderful preformance, sound and production. Peace be with you. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/07/03 17:08:47 (permalink)
Wow, guys, just a super job all the way around.  Warren, it's a good thing that you couldn't find anyone to sing this, because I think you wound up finding the perfect voice for it after all. ;-)
twisted6s
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2001
Re:REMIX, 6-7-12 NEW PUGTONES "OUT OF LOVE" 2012/07/04 06:50:25 (permalink)
Love the torchered vocal Warren, Bravo sir. Wonderful song

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1